New guy looking to Supercharge a Navigator

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New guy looking to Supercharge a Navigator

Hello all,
I'm a longtime member/lurker who is looking to join the ranks of the boosted. I have an 2006 navigator with the 5.4L 3v V8.
I've read, read and read some more and it appears the general consensus is that the Procharger setup is the least labor intensive way to add boost to these big boys. I know my way around a wrench but would like to minimize my time under the hood, and get back to drinking especially on a custom setup.

My timing chain tensioners were going out on me so I'm replacing them (full timing chain kit) right now. While i have the front of the engine off I'm replacing everything else (cam sprocket, oil pump, water pump, vdc, etc.

This is the kit I was thinking of going with D-1SC. Helical to keep it nice and quiet, like a navigator should be

My only concern is the 4wd. How tough is a S/C on the 4wd system on these things? I will never race it and may only tow our pontoon 3x a year.

Also looking for a little feedback on my choice of charger. Anyone have one? I'm from the turbo world and am wading slowly into these supercharger things haha.

Thank you all.

Last edited by Royalty; 03-09-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
it's not hard on stuff unless you do dumb things with it, supporting mods and a solid tune from a reputable tuner and you'll be loving life

yes the pedal is gonna get mashed every now and again (that's the reason for adding the additional power is to enjoy it)

Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could sell you my ported Roush supercharger, direct fit, we have the same engine, 2006 5.4 3V

Old 03-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll really have to consider that. I just did a little reading on them.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you go crazy with a centrifugal (ie over boosting pulley with a boost bypass valve to keep pressure at lower PSI) your are going to have all the draw backs of a turbo system and supercharger system. You basically get the turbo lag of a turbo (since it is half a turbo) and the parasitic draw of a supercharger. If you want to tow a boat and have more then stock throttle response up to 2000-3000RPM then I would go with a positive displacement blower aka Roush, Whipple or Edelbrock.

Quick Reply: New guy looking to Supercharge a Navigator