Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corey4631
Well I have the 6lb pulley ordered along with a 20a boost a pump. I also have an appointment on the 13th of this month to dyno and tune it. I will be installing the pulley the day before I get it on the dyno

I could just install it, turn it down all the way and that would save me $100/hr in labor to install it.
Quoted and edited your post for best plan
Go with it! Drive easy to the dyno so no issues. Can't wait to see your results.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again guys!!!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Corey: That lower pulley you have turns in the opposite direction to remove it. I remember hitting my allen bolt with a 1/2 impact forever and didn't need to. remove the 3 or 4 bolts on the cage and unscrew the pulley (reverse threads). I could do mine with my hands. The newer system you are buying (metco) is much better. Make sure you reuse the washers with the metco bolts or else the bolts are long enough that they screw into the block and the pulley won't turn. I left off the washers and mine rubbed badly. I figured it out right away though.

Agree with Jason: shorty headers don't provide much and they are very hard to install. I have OBX Long Tubes and they are great but were quite a challenge to install.

Last edited by jeffbang62; 05-02-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
My exhaust system sounds pretty good the way it is now, so I do not really want to do anything with it right now. Down the road, maybe long tubes and true dual 2.5" with mandrel bends.

I know this pulley install should go pretty smoothly, but I couldn't seem to find any videos anywhere or write up with pictures and step by step on how to do with with an 04-08. Maybe I missed something, but if anyone knows of one please share.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Would a meth injection system be beneficial in my case? If I were to get one, I would have it set up to just run at WOT! My tuner has a lot of experience with these setups so I am not worried about getting it tuned correctly. There are a million other things I could do to my truck, but for about $350, a meth setup seems like a pretty good idea to me. Like I said, it would ONLY be set to run at WOT! I would just get a tune for "daily driving" and a MAX performance one with the meth running?

SOOOO MANY THINGS TO THINK ABOUT!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Would a meth injection system be beneficial in my case? If I were to get one, I would have it set up to just run at WOT! My tuner has a lot of experience with these setups so I am not worried about getting it tuned correctly. There are a million other things I could do to my truck, but for about $350, a meth setup seems like a pretty good idea to me. Like I said, it would ONLY be set to run at WOT! I would just get a tune for "daily driving" and a MAX performance one with the meth running?

SOOOO MANY THINGS TO THINK ABOUT!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
water/meth is never a bad thing until you spray it pre-rotors that are coated...

Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I thought if you sprayed meth pre throttle body, it isnt a bad thing? Otherwise even it is after the throttle body, it would still go through the supercharger first before going to the engine. Where would be an appropriate place to inject meth then?

I do like the Snow Performance set-ups as I have read a lot of good things about them. Would a stage 1 kit be good enough if I decided to go this route? http://www.snowperformance.net/stage...st-cooler.html

Last edited by corey4631; 05-05-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 PM
A quick read on the subject. As long as you're Gen5 and up you should be ok.
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM
So would it be better to inject before or after the throttle body?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Corey: That lower pulley you have turns in the opposite direction to remove it. I remember hitting my allen bolt with a 1/2 impact forever and didn't need to. remove the 3 or 4 bolts on the cage and unscrew the pulley (reverse threads). I could do mine with my hands. The newer system you are buying (metco) is much better. Make sure you reuse the washers with the metco bolts or else the bolts are long enough that they screw into the block and the pulley won't turn. I left off the washers and mine rubbed badly. I figured it out right away though.
So, I do NOT need a pulley pulling tool to take this off and install the Metco pulley??

Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 AM
So, I do NOT need a pulley pulling tool to take this off and install the Metco pulley??
The Bottom pulley spins off to the right (opposite of what you would think). If it is the "caged pulley" you have to remove 3 or 4 cage bolts and then spin the pulley off to the right with your hands or a strap wrench. It should come off.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:01 PM
OK, on my drive to work, my engine was running totally fine! Taking off from a stop sign normal and it started sputtering around 2,500-3,000 RPMs. Now this same thing just did happen maybe 3 months ago. Turned out to be the catalytic converter was plugged %95. I would imagine that this time, it is the other cat that is the problem. The Ford dealer charged me $1,400 to diagnosis and change the bad cat. I sure as hell do NOT want to spend another $1,400 to change the other side now! Hell, for that kinda money, I could just buy long tubes and delete the cats?

So, now here I sit with an ordeal. Could it be something else besides a cat, yes, but highly doubtful. Do I take it back to the dealer and tell them that the same thing is happening as before and have them check the cat they put in to see if it is good? Do I just say screw it and buy some long tubes and delete the cats if that is possible??

I suppose right over 100,000 miles is when I am gonna have to start replacing stuff....lol

Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
OK, on my drive to work, my engine was running totally fine! Taking off from a stop sign normal and it started sputtering around 2,500-3,000 RPMs. Now this same thing just did happen maybe 3 months ago. Turned out to be the catalytic converter was plugged %95. I would imagine that this time, it is the other cat that is the problem. The Ford dealer charged me $1,400 to diagnosis and change the bad cat. I sure as hell do NOT want to spend another $1,400 to change the other side now! Hell, for that kinda money, I could just buy long tubes and delete the cats?

So, now here I sit with an ordeal. Could it be something else besides a cat, yes, but highly doubtful. Do I take it back to the dealer and tell them that the same thing is happening as before and have them check the cat they put in to see if it is good? Do I just say screw it and buy some long tubes and delete the cats if that is possible??

I suppose right over 100,000 miles is when I am gonna have to start replacing stuff....lol
A muffler shop can check out the cats. If you have a bad one, why not replace with the inexpensive Magnaflow high flow?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Sure, high flow cats are an option, but my real question is do long tubes delete the cats??

Quick Reply: Upgrade Questions