about Roush blowers and how to unlock the 6PSI limit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 AM
MDK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good **** Crash, thanks for taking the time to drop some knowledge. My motofcycle tuner hooked up a wideband on the truck months ago and the tune was running rich so that should prove beneficial. Thankfully I have some tunes for up here in CO and currently running my winter tune which I've been told to use under 50F sticking with the colder air is much denser idea. I never go into boost unless its in the 50F or above temps just in case. Going out last night in warmer weather Im still getting 6psi and if Im already running rich I'll take that. Gonna get with a local winning tuner here cause folks cant seem to get a "perfect" tune for 6Kft+ elevation ha.

Last edited by MDK; 10-29-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 PM
MDK
Yeah I meant 6000 feet so I corrected that. BTW, I talked to Nick@JDM for about 30min and man was I impressed with their customer service and explanations of things! He actually asked me questions back and acted like he cared which I'm not used too ha. Most performance companies are reactive only answering what you ask but he was trying to find out more about what was on the truck etc and I haven't spent a dime with them yet.

I told him being military I could leave CO at any moment and head back to sea level and can't wait 6 months for a tune like with Troyer. He understood and said even the busiest times the longest he can remember was 3 weeks. We talked about tunes and that having 3 tunes like I do now (winter, street, max perf) isn't necessary usually. In all honesty I'm not happy with my current tunes but getting them modified would take months so I don't bother. I'm questioning so many things now lol. Looks like my loyalties are going to JDM. I wish I would have spent my $10K with them instead.

Last edited by MDK; 10-30-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 PM
MDK
JDM tune ordered!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDK
JDM tune ordered!
good to know! if you have access to a dyno try to do a before and after

Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by widj

but I'll still be slower than Jason and his 475RWHP that I see everyday in his sig (*sigh* *frustrated*)
I updated my sig but I'm not sure it will make you feel any better
All in good fun of course. So whats the latest on the truck. I got my JDM tune. Lots of work to do. But I expected that.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM
MDK
Just got my JDM tune but gotta wait a couple weeks for dyno availability. Gonna install the Troyer Max Power tune, do a run, take of the boost limiter on the Roush via JDM instructions, install JDM tune, then do another run. Talked with JDM and gonna get a few readings for them to double check stuff since my altitude is above the norm and make sure everything else is ok.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Interesting, I've never heard of a boost limiter on the Roush kits. Just the electronic controlled boost bypass which works off of the strategy in the pcm tuning. And even the Roush install manual clearly states it's not used to control boost under WOT conditions. I also found it strange in this thread the mention of Mike Troyer 'not knowing' about this. One thing I can say for Mike. He knows the Roush blowers inside and out. I found this handy bit of info. I would encourage you guys to take a look at it. http://www.superchargerforums.com/fo...nd-fiction.84/.

The mod posted on the first page from JDM is simply eliminating the PCM's control of the boost bypass which is done using the IMRC signal and making your bypass valve work off of vacuum the same way the Whipple does from the factory.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 11-23-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
MDK
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Interesting, I've never heard of a boost limiter on the Roush kits. Just the electronic controlled boost bypass which works off of the strategy in the pcm tuning. And even the Roush install manual clearly states it's not used to control boost under WOT conditions. I also found it strange in this thread the mention of Mike Troyer 'not knowing' about this. One thing I can say for Mike. He knows the Roush blowers inside and out. I found this handy bit of info. I would encourage you guys to take a look at it. http://www.superchargerforums.com/fo...nd-fiction.84/.

The mod posted on the first page from JDM is simply eliminating the PCM's control of the boost bypass which is done using the IMRC signal and making your bypass valve work off of vacuum the same way the Whipple does from the factory.
I read that before and it was a nice read. Can't speak for others but I emailed Troyer about this a month ago and after 5yrs/spending $10K with them I received no response. When I got stationed from VA to CO it took over 6 months and $450 for a new set of tunes. JDM took 3 weeks and has epic customer service. I'll always enjoy my visit with Mike and Anita Troyer but once you stop throwing money their way the support dies. If JDM's tune comes close to what I have now I'll be happy.

I've always been curious to why Troyer makes more than one tune for winter, towing, etc. JDM makes one tune for all the conditions and let's the MAF do the rest. Two different thoughts from two different companies. You don't see factory S/C and turbo cars switching tunes when winter comes or they start towing so why do I have to? I sure as hell don't have a race car that needs everything to be spot on.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm glad that I inspired someone to write this.
My reply to this is that I've noticed more boost and a more aggressive responsiveness of the truck with the previous Troyer tune and the bypass, so if what he says is right, then Troyer didn't take full advantage of my mods with his tune.

Originally Posted by MDK
I read that before and it was a nice read. Can't speak for others but I emailed Troyer about this a month ago and after 5yrs/spending $10K with them I received no response. When I got stationed from VA to CO it took over 6 months and $450 for a new set of tunes. JDM took 3 weeks and has epic customer service. I'll always enjoy my visit with Mike and Anita Troyer but once you stop throwing money their way the support dies. If JDM's tune comes close to what I have now I'll be happy.

I've always been curious to why Troyer makes more than one tune for winter, towing, etc. JDM makes one tune for all the conditions and let's the MAF do the rest. Two different thoughts from two different companies. You don't see factory S/C and turbo cars switching tunes when winter comes or they start towing so why do I have to? I sure as hell don't have a race car that needs everything to be spot on.
same, I called Troyer about this and it didn't go anywhere, I just got ignored as usual, unless I make a payment with them, I won't get any attention from them.

I would however have preferred to have a "fail safe" tune from JDM, say I can't get the octane my tune is setup for, I'd prefer to have this, JDM told me to go to the stock tune worst case scenario.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:08 PM
MDK
Originally Posted by widj
I would however have preferred to have a "fail safe" tune from JDM, say I can't get the octane my tune is setup for, I'd prefer to have this, JDM told me to go to the stock tune worst case scenario.
Just don't get into the boost and you'll be fine. Been there done that and its not a big deal.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
That's a shame to hear about Troyer not responding. I have not had that issue. In fact Saturday night two weeks ago he and Anita were both on the phone with me trying to help after my programer bricked itself and my truck after performing an update. Wasn't their problem and I haven't purchased anything from them since Nov 2011. Sadly stories like the one from Widj and MDK are to prevelant.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 PM
MDK
Let's face it too. Troyers shop is pretty much in the middle of nowhere so access to the latest and greatest vehicles is harder. Mike's health has never been all that great either and he's not passing on his programming knowledge to anyone last I checked which is sad. He's a crazy smart guy but at some point he'll retire and I would've had to find another tuner for future vehicles I buy so it was a matter of time.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Dumb question, If i put a 2lbs pulley and VMP tune on my roushcharger do I also need to get rid of the 6psi box? Or will the tune and smaller pulley make the superchager make the correct added boost?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 AM
anyone?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I just wanted to think everyone for sharing this information. I have Jim Sr tuning my truck on the 27th., I'm installing a 2.9 Whipple on my 2012 Harley-Davidson and I've had a few conversation about vendors stated HP and what you really get. This explains some things I've heard about Roush and really helps me get my mind around a few things. The more I read, the more I'm glad to pay Jim to tune my truck!

-David

Quick Reply: about Roush blowers and how to unlock the 6PSI limit!