Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Question

I have a JDM tune and am looking to tow my 95 regular cab ~100 miles on a trailer. I don't know how aggressive they tune things though. So would I be safe to do this? It just popped up so by the time I called JDM they were closed and I'd leave before they open.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Is it canned or custom? Im a fan of being safe over being sorry. Is it a necessity you tow it tomorrow? Im sure you could make it just fine by keeping your speeds down and watching your temps, but to me its not worth the risk, especially when you arent familiar with your own tune

Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
Is it canned or custom? Im a fan of being safe over being sorry. Is it a necessity you tow it tomorrow? Im sure you could make it just fine by keeping your speeds down and watching your temps, but to me its not worth the risk, especially when you arent familiar with your own tune
It's a "custom" tune, but I'm sure that just means I sent them a list of my modifications to the truck and they already had one written from a bank. I don't absolutely have to tow it tomorrow, but it makes things much easier if I do. I still have my PHP Gryphon plugged in for monitoring so I normally watch my IAT, transmission temp, and engine temperature anyway.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 PM
ok that helps. how much boost are you running? seeing that you have the gryphon you can at least keep an eye on things, but im sure other will chime in, maybe even someone with a tune from them

Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a tune from them but didn't purchase a tow tune. You have to watch the trans as 4th to 2nd kick downs will kill the trans best to stay with od off. Whats your blower setup?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I have a JDM tune for mine and have towed many times, cars and UTV's not trucks. The tune from them isn't running on the ragged edge to begin with so you shouldn't have any issues. I like to tow with OD off unless the speeds are high enough to prevent downshifts.

Tim

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Alright. So it sounds like I could have done it as long as I was careful and watched my gauges. I ended up finding another way to get the truck without me needing to tow it though, so I took the safe route. Better safe than sorry!

Quick Reply: Towing Question