Please help me!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me!!!!!

I have recently got a new engine put into my truck with forged pistons, rods, and crankshaft. I noticed a decently loud ticking noise that the engine company assured me would go away after the break in process. I have gone 500 miles changed the oil and same thing......although when the fresh oil was first put in and the engine started up, it was quiet! Once the engine got warmed up, it started right back up. This ticking happens all the time and it PISSING me off!!! The guys at the place I had the engine installed at says it is lifter noise. I have looked and looked and looked online and I'd have to say I have heard and seen videos that sounds exactly the same as my engine. Some of these videos call it lifter noise, some say exhaust leak by the exhaust manifold (which one side was replaced after breaking a bolt), and others say VCT solenoids/cam phasers. Could/should I change out crappy generic synthetic oil that the dealer put in for what I always use Mobil One Synthetic? If so, would 5w30 be better than 5w20? I don't know what the HELL to do anymore and I am in it for over $11,000 so far!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Crash may be on to something with the valve train. Most exhaust leak noises around the header go away once she gets hot and everything expands. I would recommend switching to 5 or 10w30. Most machine shops do not build engines to a 1 thousandth tolerance unless you specify that which is how she was from the factory. But before you make this change consult with your builder. If shes in the 2-4thousandth range you will want 5 or 10w30. 10w30 during those summer months and 5w30 during your cold months especially considering your location.

A vid or recording of the noise would be helpful.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I will try and get a video uploaded yet tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Here is the video I took. It is definitely coming from the passenger side of the engine. Let me know what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA09J...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd take it bad to them that sounds terrible!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks Crash! Here is the deal. I did not want to drop names or anything, but I think I am past this by now.

I purchased this LONG BLOCK from Promar Engines out of New Jersey. http://www.promarengine.com/

I found them while searching for possible lightening engines to put in my truck. They seem like a reputable company and seem to know what they are doing. The place that installed the engine was LENZ TRUCK. http://www.lenzauto.com/our-services

The place that put the engine in found the valvetrain noise to be extremely loud. They called Promar and long story short, the engine had to come back out of the truck and shipped back to Promar to get repaired! This video is the aftermath from the second (YES SECOND) attempt of putting the "repaired" engine back in. Promar claimed to have ripped the whole engine down and they found nothing wrong. Just for the sake of argument, they said they put on another new set of heads.

So it isn't like I can just go back to the shop since I live in Wisconsin. What the heck do I do now?!? Do I ask them to foot the bill for someone local to fix it?? I am at a loss of words for what has happened!!!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Promar does offer a one year unlimited millage warranty on this engine, but apparently does NOT cover labor. They would not cover the labor to take the engine out the first time, but they covered the labor to put it back in. BTW, I still have not received a check from them for the labor to put it back in (their front office it working on it)! WHAT a bunch of BS!!!

Trending Topics

Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by corey4631
Promar does offer a one year unlimited millage warranty on this engine, but apparently does NOT cover labor. They would not cover the labor to take the engine out the first time, but they covered the labor to put it back in. BTW, I still have not received a check from them for the labor to put it back in (their front office it working on it)! WHAT a bunch of BS!!!
this is a "normal" experience with Promar, a hand full of Lightning guys bought thier motors and had the same exact experience

Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Promar has agreed to pay for the parts to fix the engine along with labor, but only at $45/hour! What shop only charges that price for labor?!? The place that put the engine in charges $100/hour and my local Ford dealer charges $95/hour! So once again I am going to have to shell out more money out of my pocket for something that I did not F up to begin with!! I was quoted about $1500 bucks to fix it if it is the lifter. 10 hours of labor for the lifter and ONCE again they have to take off the supercharger to get at everything else which is another 3-4 hours of labor!

NOTE: DO NOT BUY AN ENGINE FROM PROMAR ENGINES OUT OF NEW JERSEY!!! THEIR PRICES SEEMS LIKE A STEAL, BUT IN THE END, YOU ARE THE ONE GETTING ROBBED!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM
UPDATE:

So it turns out that one of my coil packs was not working properly and I was basically running on 5 cylinders. That would explain the 8.5 MPG I was getting vs. 14 before I blew my engine! It does run MUCH better now although the ticking noise is still there.... The local Ford dealer tells me it is an exhaust leak. I did take it back to the place that installed the engine and when they had me come up under the truck, there was no exhaust leak coming from the manifold....They think it is still a valve train noise.

I am going to dump the "no name" synthetic 5w30 they put in there and replace it with something better just to see if there is a difference. I have ALWAYS used Mobil 1 Synthetic in all my vehicels without any problems, but I have looked into using Royal Purple lately. Royal Purple has a regular oil and a high performance oil. I know it is kind of expensive, but I thin I am going to try their high performance (HPS) 5w30 since it designed more for performance engines.

What are your thoughts?

Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Sorry it took a bit to respond, I am have been working some crazy hours lately. Thanks Crash for all the info and help so far!!! Seeing as I have spent how much freakin money already on this truck, I am going to see this thru to the end. I believe my next step is more than likely just taking it to the Ford dealer and let them figure out the rest. I will try and take another video this weekend yet and post it.