Roush non/IC on an 09 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush non/IC on an 09 5.4?

I think I know the answer but I would like for someone (who knows for sure)to confirm. I have a non/ic roush supercharger that I bought to put on my 08 f150. A local dealer has an 09 F250 HD, Screw, loaded with a 5.4 in it that I can get at a good price. Will the Roush fit on an 09? I don't think Roush will flash the PCM but if I can get it to Troyer I would rather go that route anyways. Mainly I want it for the transmission and the Screw since mine is an Kcab.

Rich

Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing physically changed with the motor. The tuning is a whole different story being it has the 6 speed in it. However tow ratings go down with blowers (it stresses the transmissions, cooling systems and U joints a lot more) sort of defeating the purpose of a F250 work horse. Non Intercooled is also not a very good setup but some run them.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Nothing physically changed with the motor. The tuning is a whole different story being it has the 6 speed in it. However tow ratings go down with blowers (it stresses the transmissions, cooling systems and U joints a lot more) sort of defeating the purpose of a F250 work horse. Non Intercooled is also not a very good setup but some run them.
I seriously doubt a non inter-cooled roush setup will honestly destroy anything on a F-250. I would stick a water meth setup on it for when you tow though.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Thats fine I'm an ASE master certified tech too. I dont work for ford though I work for an independent shop. I have other random "certifications" that doesnt mean anything too. Not that any of that matters.

Ford, VMP, Troyer, and JDM all decrese the max tow ratings on supercharged trucks. Can you still tow with one, yes. Is towing easier with more power? Duh. Can you tow more then what the truck was originally rated for? NO!

Random Centri guy on the internet says otherwise. I'll take their word for it.

If they design a truck like the ecoboost where they know from the start f/I will be on it they can then set it up properly for the extra strain on the trans, exhaust valves, cooling system etc. Slapping a non intercooled blower on an N/A vehicle for towing is asking for problems. If he doesn't plan on towing 7000lbs up hills daily or just wants a daily driver it will probably be ok.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 05-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I used to tow with my centri like a boss back in the day. I always had a trailer and mustang on the back.

I was known for two things then, burn outs with a mustang on the back, and chirping 2nd gear while getting on the highway pulling a trailer.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 05-23-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I've towed a pontoon boat with my truck many times. I however never launched the boat as its huge and I dont think my truck would escape the water with no traction.

My point is adding a blower doesn't mean you cant tow, but to say you can tow more is utter crap. Put a trailer with the max tow ratings on twinscreweds truck and have him tow it and see what the Pyrometer says. Bet it gets to the point the valves will want to melt.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I've towed a pontoon boat with my truck many times. I however never launched the boat as its huge and I dont think my truck would escape the water with no traction.

My point is adding a blower doesn't mean you cant tow, but to say you can tow more is utter crap. Put a trailer with the max tow ratings on twinscreweds truck and have him tow it and see what the Pyrometer says. Bet it gets to the point the valves will want to melt.
Well that's a no brainer.

A out of the box non intercooled roush on an f-250 though.... Ehhh I doubt 6lbs would hurt anything.

Trending Topics

Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Crash!
That is why you generate THREE CODES. One for street, one for race, and one for TOWING. Oh, and if it is an issue, one for economy.

I miss the flip chips for this very reason.

And no matter what, if you are at the tow rating, you need a bigger truck!
I miss flippy floppy chips also. I'm still rocking one on one of my foxes.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
IRONS1N- I KNEW you had skills, but to say a blower LOWERS the towing capacity is not correct. That is why I quoted you on that. I misspoke. I own that. I was trying to say that towing ability will improve, not push the drivetrain into a heavier class. The drivetrain and bumper ratings will remain the same. I make mistakes, I am human too.

I have nothing to prove, not my intent. I just want to be clear on the fact that I have been well trained, and I have focused experience on blown F-150s. That's all.

We both have experience that will benefit this site. Let's not butt heads. It gets us nowhere. Notice I only post facts. I have been here a long time, and flamewars get us banned. Just so you know, a dig at me for something irrelevant was un-called for, and was off topic. So what was the intent? An answer is not required. Spank the baby and put it to bed.

BtotherDave- Me too. I could incinerate the tires through first and second (5-speed), with the boat on the back. In fact, I outran a Hemi Ram with the boat on the back. I hear ya. Nothing like POWER.
I just think its stupid when people throw out certifications or not in this case wallet size. It wasn't a jab at you either. Centri blowers is your thing not tuning. All the tuners I've had a tune from have told me the weight I can tow is less then factory. I would listen to their advice over anyone else's. I'm not trying to pick a fight as there is no reason to.

Fatherford is correct in that 5-6 psi may not hurt it. All depends on how he uses it. I was just trying to issue a warning.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM
While the blower can make towing a breeze and seemingly less stressful it is harder on everything. Towing capacity certainly does not increase. And yes any tuner who knows what he's doing will tell you not to tow max capacity. When I ran 8psi I was told restrict it to 5000lbs like the lightning and Harley trucks. At 10psi Mike advised me to limit it to 3000lbs. I didn't listen. And now at 12psi he doesn't advise towing at all. Still I do what I want. However I have never towed more then 5000lbs. Never needed to.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
What?

It makes the engine more volumetrically efficient. Towing capacity increases. The DRIVER stresses the drivetrain by abusing it. Abuse and improper tuning will destroy reliability.

FYI- About me...
I will disagree with this comment. While VE does increase making the engine more powerful it does not increase ones towing capacity. To many other factors involved to make a blanket statement like that. Towing capcities are based on engine output, transmission capabilities, transmission cooling, gearing, braking capacity, even wheel size.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Agreed. Since running 12psi I have only towed 2 Harleys, some mountain bikes, my folks and 8 days worth of gear. So roughly 3000 more lbs then I normally have. Once we hit the foot hills and mountains the EGT's would shoot sky high as boost came in to help get over the hills. Now running 12psi boost comes in fairly early compared to a 6 psi set up. But it didn't take much for the EGT's to run up even at 65mph with the cruise set the ECM would switch over to open loop mode to cool things down. Worked fine but sucked for gas mileage. I was constantly easing off the gas to try to keep the temps down and out of open loop mode to improve mpg's.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Agreed. Since running 12psi I have only towed 2 Harleys, some mountain bikes, my folks and 8 days worth of gear. So roughly 3000 more lbs then I normally have. Once we hit the foot hills and mountains the EGT's would shoot sky high as boost came in to help get over the hills. Now running 12psi boost comes in fairly early compared to a 6 psi set up. But it didn't take much for the EGT's to run up even at 65mph with the cruise set the ECM would switch over to open loop mode to cool things down. Worked fine but sucked for gas mileage. I was constantly easing off the gas to try to keep the temps down and out of open loop mode to improve mpg's.
Now that's with 12 psi with dual heat exchangers with a lower temp blower. 6 psi from a heaton no intercooler may even be worse on a long trip as it heat soaks. Or maybe not but I wouldn't risk it

Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm gonna have to moniter my egt's and see what I'm experiencing

Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Since you went there, here I go. And this is enough of the flaming. YOU should have kept it off the boards. Don't want a fight? Don't START one. You disrespected Jason by leaving the topic in his thread, and in public. So here we go, then back on topic.
Sorry twinscrewed for posting on squints thread, I didn't mean to upset you if I did.

Stop posting stupid digs like "That's not a GT 500" when it was irrelevant. It irritates me. Your one liners get old, and they are only directed at me. You did it again just now by telling me what my specialty area is. Do I need to post links to all of the threads you have done this on? You have no idea how many areas I specialize in.
LOL wut? You said a Shelby badge hertz Mustang GT was a shelby, yes it had the badge but its not $60000 as you so claimed it was. You had no idea what you were looking at or talking about. I was correcting you.

I dont attack you, infact the only post I can think of that directly would be considered is this.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...rash-here.html
You have no idea how many Ford classes I have completed, you have no idea how many walls my certificates will cover, and you have no idea how many blown trucks I have worked on. From Lightnings to SD 6.8s. From Roots to SCREWs to Centrifugal. We have done them all. Intercooled and not.
I think it's stupid when an independent mechanic with a Master Certification and a blower thinks he's an expert. I had 1000 hours of class time before I graduated high school. Then I got another degree in Automotive Technology, immediately certified as an ASE Master, then I got trained by Ford Engineers, and then I got trained by GM Engineers. Then I have been installing blowers on F-150s since 1999. All of them. 20 years experience in the automotive field. 14 specializing in blowers.
I never said I was an expert. Nor have I claimed to be. What I do know from personal experience is that guys who go to school to learn to work on cars know acronyms very well, but dont know how to fix anything. Just personal experience you maybe a great mechanic. What I do know about you is that you know next to nothing on anything that is newer then 2004 or not procharged. Again you know vastly more then I could ever about prochargers. However time and time again I see you post inaccurate information on 3v trucks. Again I correct you when I can, you take this as an offense for whatever reason. Again I have certifications but none of them mean a damn thing. Just means you are book smart, not a good mechanic. You might impress customers at your shop who dont know about certifications but I doubt any mechanic would walk in there and think "Wow he sat in a class for 30 hours and got a certificate that says he knows whats in a book!" Thats exactly how most of those certificates were awarded. I this because I get them too

And guess what... We didn't have the luxury of passing one off to the dealer to fix it when we got stuck, we HAD to fix it.
I dont have that luxury either, I dont get paid for stuff I dont fix.

Here's the deal. I don't flame you, I post facts. But I will call you on it, just as you would me, when you make a mistake or post your ignorance, for the sake of accuracy. Stop the childish crap. I own my mistakes and try not to make them again. You should do the same. Hell, be a man and CALL me and tell me how you feel. The phone number is in my signature... Don't destroy someone else's thread.
I think you are a little delusional. I posted 2 replys to you, and you wrote a story book in reply

I put that out there because we have many new members, and most don't have the time to search the archives. SO I bring the already posted information to the front so they don't have to search. I posted the link so people don't think I am just throwing BS out there. If I don't know, I will admit it and research it until I find the answer.

I did not post that because I have anything to prove. I posted that so anyone reading that thread knows I have a background. And my specialty is blowers of all kinds, I just USE ProCharger. I have owned, installed or raced ALL blowers, save the Powerdyne. I started with the Roots types, as a firm believer. Then I went ProCharger because I had my *** handed to me and my Roots type by ProCharger at the time, because the Whipple was not a contender. The ProCharger was the first blower to put the 97-03 into the 13s, and nothing compared.
Cool story...?

Mark is a Master Tuner and we have worked together for 14 years. Before custom tuning was available. Mark generates the codes, but I have kept up with everything but the values that are input into the tables. I have a pretty damn good clue about tuning.

I want you to name the tuners you so respect that you get your information from. If they are so good, we all deserve to be in the know. I am interested in everything they have to say. I really am.
You can talk to the people who have tuned my truck. I dont know who your "Mike" guy is, but I've never heard of him tuning 3v motors. I have however heard of these guys who I have a tune from each one of them

Mike Troyer - Troyerperformance
Jim Sr - JDM
Justin - VMP Tuning

Call them if you want more info on how smart or qualified they are.

Jason- I apologize. I have not been in a flame war in 10 years. Nobody wins. Sorry we got off topic. I really hit this thread to help you. I do have resources that may help you if you will let me.
Um this is Rich's thread, why are you apologizing to Jason? Do you even realize who you are talking to or about?

Quick Reply: Roush non/IC on an 09 5.4?