4yrs on stock truck/powertrain and still running!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM
MDK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4yrs on stock truck/powertrain and still running!

Back in late 2008 I took a brand new 08 F150 5.4L to Mike Troyer's shop in VA and had the guys install a Roush intercooled blower with aftermarket SC pulley, dynatech long tube headers, dual electric fans, Roush exhaust, magnaflow cats, and Roush intake. Basically anything Mike suggested which is pretty much their stage 3 kit if not more. All of this was on a STOCK truck, the only thing I have upgraded to this date is the antenna, I **** you not. Granted the truck only has 40K miles on it but it is what it is. After about 2yrs with the blower on we had to move (military) so I loaded 500+lbs in the bed, got a full sized uhaul car trailer to tow my Cobra as not to put any miles on her and drove from VA to CO. Truck didn't even break a sweat and I am proud to announce that to this day absolutely nothing has gone mecahncially wrong with the truck.

Truck makes 380rwhp/419rwtq (back in VA) and goes to show that if you take care of your vehicle with regular maintenance, by not doing burn outs evey second, and other crazyness except for the occassional showing off then a complete stock 08 can handle it. I applaud the Troyer folks for doing it right the first time and hopefully many miles are ahead.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 AM
I've been running 450+rwhp, towing, burnouts racing, not taking care of my truck at all(compared to some of these guys) have nearly 100,000 miles on it and still have the stock long block. Tranny finally gave up the ghost though at 80k.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
MDK
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
I've been running 450+rwhp, towing, burnouts racing, not taking care of my truck at all(compared to some of these guys) have nearly 100,000 miles on it and still have the stock long block. Tranny finally gave up the ghost though at 80k.
Good to hear someone has been doing a lot more than me and they still hold up. What tranny are you going to go with next or keep it stock? With all you've been up to the stock trans doesn't sound half bad.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by MDK
Good to hear someone has been doing a lot more than me and they still hold up. What tranny are you going to go with next or keep it stock? With all you've been up to the stock trans doesn't sound half bad.
I got a BC auto transmission.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 years this august. Already 37,000 supercharged miles. Strict maintenance but I drive it like I stole it. Lost the trans at 7psi with 6,000 sc'd miles. I blame the **** poor tuning at Fastlane in Benson, NC for that. As good as they were with Mustangs they knew nothing about tuning an auto trans especially in a truck. However its been nothing but fun ever since. Spent one year and 8,000 miles at 7psi. the next year and a half at 9.5psi logging around 18,000. Been at 13psi since Nov and loving every minute. Went with everything Troyer told me to plus some extras.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 05-22-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
MDK
Nice! Yeah I just had to get an updated tune from Troyer cause I had the 08 trans flare issue so Ford updated the ECU then I had to send it to Roush for an update, install it and use the tuner to log the new info, and finally send it back to Troyer. I also had some minor issues I wanted fixed moving from VA to CO in the new elevation and lower octane. Hate to say it but it took them 6 months which I really didn't like because it was my only vehicle at the time and I was super paranoid about driving the stock Roush tune for a vehicle that was tuned for more than that. Nothing happened visually but I'm assuming my injectors/plugs weren't having fun and granny driving it for 6 months was soooo boring. That kinda of detours me from doing upgrades to the truck if I have to wait that long for a new tune but then again he did have to redo the ENTIRE tune or at least that's what I got charged for lol. Truck is running amazing after a month now with all my little issues fixed but lord help me if I have to get a new trans and have no other vehicle. Unfortunately that's the problem with this stuff, you find a good tuner and they get super busy so your stuff takes a back seat for a very long time especially if they have an actual shop to run so the "in person" customers obviously take priority.

twinskrewd: are you running the stock block? I'm assuming you did a some fuel upgrade...

Anyone else have a nice longevity story? Doesn't seem to be a lot of people that give follow ups.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah she's stock. Never broke a seal on that motor. As for fueling upgrades I have Troyers system which consist of a second FPDM, twin 250lph pumps, a Fore fuel hat and 60lb (63lb) flowmatched Semens injectors.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM
MDK
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Yeah she's stock. Never broke a seal on that motor. As for fueling upgrades I have Troyers system which consist of a second FPDM, twin 250lph pumps, a Fore fuel hat and 60lb (63lb) flowmatched Semens injectors.
Thought so. Same one I was going to do but if I didn't need it I was going to wait so I did. For anyone reading this thread here is what the Troyer folks are saying as of 5-25-2012 about how much the stock 2008 5.4L motor can handle (I think everyone is gone from when I was there in 2008 lol)

"The stock internals in those 5.4L 3V can handle somewhere in the neighbor hood of 450-475 HP rear wheel. That means it is probably making 650-675 HP at the flywheel. Of course if you stay foot to floor for an extended amount of time at this HP level the life expectancy will be dramatically diminished.

As for the boost levels we send these trucks out of here running 10 psi with no problems. Sometimes you can boost up to 12 psi but we like to see long tube headers and an upgraded fuel system to handle these elevated HP ranges."

Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Hell fatherford ran stock manifolds and 12 psi for a long time

Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Yep, thats cause he dyno'd mine at 475rwhp and she is holding up good. Now mess with him and ask him if he can get you there without a Whipple on a stock block lol. And after he answers tell him Jason told you to ask that.

When mine dyno'd at 475rwhp (the exact number I wanted and predicted) he came up out of his chair I really want to hit a dyno at sea level.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM
MDK
I asked about the the fuel upgrades and they wouldn't sell them to me cause it's complicated and Mike doesn't like to have people try it. Understandable I guess but I don't live in VA anymore sooooooo...

Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have had mine for about 4 years now. Just a few transmissions and a differential. But I was breaking them even before the blower.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
I have had mine for about 4 years now. Just a few transmissions and a differential. But I was breaking them even before the blower.

Quick Reply: 4yrs on stock truck/powertrain and still running!