IAT sensor location on S/C system

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
yes, a common way to have a crappy running setup is to put the IAT sensor pre-supercharger

the best way is right in front of the throttle body

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
yes, a common way to have a crappy running setup is to put the IAT sensor pre-supercharger,the best way is right in front of the throttle body
Harsh words for someone who only 'learned' of this since jan.
CLICK HERE: https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...questions.html

'Crappy running setup' is only because it was not tuned right.

If you really want to know your charge air temps, Use a gauge and use 3 temp sensors-- in the air intake track/in the air filter, s/c discharge tube and after the intercooler, before the throttle body.

Do not think that using the IAT pre-throttle body as a tuning sensor, or to compensate for a bad tune/setup, or that it is a 'safety' to add more fuel and take out timing when you are under boost and have high discharge temps. This is bad tuning.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Mine is pre supercharger and I've yet to have an issue. Truck runs great 10# kit on my Whipple . Lovin it!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by cobramarty
Harsh words for someone who only 'learned' of this since jan.
CLICK HERE: https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...questions.html

'Crappy running setup' is only because it was not tuned right.

If you really want to know your charge air temps, Use a gauge and use 3 temp sensors-- in the air intake track/in the air filter, s/c discharge tube and after the intercooler, before the throttle body.

Do not think that using the IAT pre-throttle body as a tuning sensor, or to compensate for a bad tune/setup, or that it is a 'safety' to add more fuel and take out timing when you are under boost and have high discharge temps. This is bad tuning.

you're going to do what you want so why continue asking questions?

And if you aren't willing to learn from people who have experience why waste our time?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
And if you aren't willing to learn from people who have experience why waste our time?

Who is wasting who's time?

Always willing to learn, Who's doing the teaching?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Several of us are trying to help you have a better safer setup...

Yet you seem to want only to argue about advice you're given

Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM
OK, advice taken.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Whipple setup was iat pre sc. Its still that way. I've talked to Mike Troyer about changing it and it wasn't a big deal to him. If I did it fine if not it didnt matter. It makes perfect sense to do it. However my timing is based on egt, af's, and the knock sensors. My knock sensors can add up to additional 5 degrees of timing as long as iat's are below 100 degrees and that of course is based upon pre-boost temps. Point is, you build your tune based on the setup. There is no right or wrong about the location. And as tarajerme said earlier you don't use the iat readings to add or remove fuel under boost if it is located before the sc.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 10-16-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Interesting that Mad Enterprises recommends 'IAT Sensor (fits in air cleaner)' for lightning conversion superchargers before the supercharger.

http://www.madenterprise.com/scparts.htm

Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by cobramarty
Interesting that Mad Enterprises recommends 'IAT Sensor (fits in air cleaner)' for lightning conversion superchargers before the supercharger.

http://www.madenterprise.com/scparts.htm
He doesn't recomend that for the Centrufigal setups...

it's on there because the factory Eaton supercharged trucks use 2 iat sensors, where the factory N/A trucks only use 1

Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 PM

AND, you have to have the Lightning / harley truck ECM and Harness to use that setup

Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 AM
I stand corrected. I spoke with Mike about this again yesterday and as it turns out it is very important. I made a mistake in my notes. Sorry about that. He did build a tune preventing additional timing being added past 100F but for everything to be safe this reading needs to come from the air coming from the SC not before. Per Mike the IAT being relocated after the blower is a must!!! I am doing it this weekend. Ordered the parts here http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...parent=27&pg=1 yesterday and they will be here Friday. $69 bucks is a good deal.

Tarajerme is correct. The Lightnings/Harleys use two sensors. An IAT and ACT (Air Charge Sensor). This is also the case on the 03-04 Cobra. No doubt in my mind the GT Supercar and GT500 use this also.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 AM
So to place it after the SC (in non-lightning applications) there has to be reprogramming done to the computer with the IAT parameters for this to work properly? It is not just so easy as unplug it here and place it there? Without the ECU reprogramming, There can be problems?

This is for N/A to S/C conversions, not lightning or lightning conversions(they have 2 IATs).

Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 PM
When you convert to the SC you will be running custom tuning. The tuner (person creating the tune) will need all of the specs on the vehicle. Part of the information will be informing him where the IAT is located. This way he will know how to build your tune.

Quick Reply: IAT sensor location on S/C system