Edelbrock Eforce or Roush Charger for 5.4l 3V

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll do a lot better with a dyno tune than with the FRP supplied tune.

Lee

Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd forget the heads unless you're planning on a set of long tubes. In any case, you had better plan on the dual gt500 fuel pumps mod with these goals. You'd just as soon step up to larger injectors too.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo274
I have the roush I/c system on my truck. I don't race mine at the track, just thought the na motor just was not up to the task for me. It pulls my bassboat well and does a good job on the street. I have been very happy with mine.

At the rpm level a street engine runs, I don't know if the wipple would benefit me or not.I have read tests that under a certain rpm the wipple has n o advantage on a street driven truck with a stock block.

I'm surprised to hear you say this. My truck has about 140 HP more than stock at 3000 rpm, which is certainly within "street driven" rpm range. Whipple SC @ 10 psi.

Lee
I am comparing a whipple to the roush, which my truck has never been dyno'ed so I can't say personally how much my truck gained @ 3000rpm, with the roush.

Last edited by Rambo274; 08-30-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
At the rpm level a street engine runs, I don't know if the wipple would benefit me or not.I have read tests that under a certain rpm the wipple has n o advantage on a street driven truck with a stock block.
This is what I'm questioning, not whether it's a Whipple or Roush, etc. I hope other Whipple owners and Roush owners will come forward with their information about increased HP at moderate rpm levels.

Lee

Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the street, I'd pay more attention to torque than horsepower. I've seen numerous dyno sheets with the Roush putting out 400+ lb. ft. of torque at 2,000 rpm building to over 450 lb. ft. at the peak of around 3,500 rpm. I don't know why the Whipple wouldn't make similar numbers. Higher boost levels and other mods will push those numbers higher as well.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Electron-Jack
I didn't wan't to add boost till it's broken in well.
That's a false way of thinking. Break in with boost doesn't matter, also "break in" is argued quite a bit itself.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Windsor
On the street, I'd pay more attention to torque than horsepower. I've seen numerous dyno sheets with the Roush putting out 400+ lb. ft. of torque at 2,000 rpm building to over 450 lb. ft. at the peak of around 3,500 rpm. I don't know why the Whipple wouldn't make similar numbers. Higher boost levels and other mods will push those numbers higher as well.
Agreed. The Torque numbers mirror the increases in HP across the band.

Lee

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My whipple on my 03 SS Chevy had great torque right off the bottom. It just suffered with no intercooler when it was hot. I got the quote from whipple for this 05 F150 and its $5200 for everything. I'll look into getting a tune from Troyer after I install it. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Unless someone knows where to get the whipple SC kit cheeper than $5200 I've made up my mind at this point. I'll post some pic's of the project when I get started.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 AM
My whipple on my 03 SS Chevy had great torque right off the bottom. It just suffered with no intercooler when it was hot. I got the quote from whipple for this 05 F150 and its $5200 for everything. I'll look into getting a tune from Troyer after I install it. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Unless someone knows where to get the whipple SC kit cheeper than $5200 I've made up my mind at this point. I'll post some pic's of the project when I get started.
search the internet... The system comes up for around 3k all the time.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeap. See em run specials for the Whipple around $4200-4900 online. Haven't seen the three thousand mark since jdm ran that special. You will be thrilled with the Whipple. It takes about 20 less hp and a 1/10 of a pound of fuel less to operate the Whipple then it does the Roush @ 10psi and wot. Thats 20 more hp going to the wheels and not being used to turn that ancient Heaton. Power is unreal from idle to redline. I tow a dual axle enclosed trailer weighing 5000lbs with no problem. Go with Troyers recomendations and you will have a screaming truck.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 PM
I Just wanted to get some opinions about which SC to choose for my newly rebuilt 5.4L 3V in a 2005 4x4 Lariat SC. I have been looking at the Eforce and Roush but would be open to others if there's something better out there. I had a whipple without intercooler on my 03 SS and it was great as long as it wasn't hot outside. I want a unit with the intercooler this time being here in Texas.
The Eforce dyno charts show a little more HP/TQ than the Roush on this motor and it has a great low profile look but it's a $1K more expensive. Anybody running the Eforce out there yet? My application is just pulling my 22' boat and daily driver so I don't think a centrifical is really suitable for the way I'm using it.

Let's hear everyones opinion. Thanks
I see that I'm a little late to the conversation, but I wanted to see if you still had the truck and what you finally did with it. I have an 05 4x4 F150 with the Roush blower. Having the bottom end built now. Before with only 4.10 gears and the blower was making 423lbs torque and 365 RWHP. I'm putting cams in it now while the motor is being built. Headers and smaller upper pully and 4lb crank pully with 80lb injectors. Should be over 450 RHWP, but I was told 450 was all that the stock fuel system can handle. I'm in DFW if you want to meet up when it gets finished.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Eforce or Roush Charger for 5.4l 3V