Roush vs. Ford Racing Whipple Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming from a Stang background (03 Cobra w/13+lbs) and many friends w/either whipples, turbos, roush s/c's I say you will enjoy either one that you put on. If it's your daily driver and all you want is a nice "kick in the pants" feel you can't go wrong w/this mod.

Lots of intelligent posts here. Reliability wise,,get it professionally tuned.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, I'll probably give it a try and put the kit on myself. I currently have underdrive pulleys on right now which I figure I will have to get rid of. Does anyone know how to put the original Crank pulley back on with a torque wrench as far as numbers (pressure) go?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you will have to for the Roush because of the supercharger pulley. With the Saleen you'll be underdriving the supercharger, so you don't want that either.

I think you need a new crankshaft pulley bolt, since it appears to be torque-to-yeild. I had to replace my crank pulley because there are no holes drilled in the pulley and had to install an earlier model pulley. I had to get a special puller for mine since it had no bolt holes, but a standard harmonic balancer puller should get the old pulley off. You can probably rent a crank pulley installation tool from a parts house. Here is the procedure for tightening the bolt.

Using a new crankshaft pulley bolt, install the bolt and washer and tighten the bolt in 4 stages.
• Stage 1: Tighten to 90 Nm (66 lb-ft).
• Stage 2: Loosen 360 degrees.
• Stage 3: Tighten to 50 Nm (37 lb-ft).
• Stage 4: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.

They also recommend a dab of silicone over the crank key slot before installing the pulley to prevent future oil leaks.

Quick Reply: Roush vs. Ford Racing Whipple Supercharger