Procharger tuning probem!!! need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfenatic09
I don't konw what to think at this point cuz he told me that i'm gunnaneed upwards of 50 to 55psi in the fuel rail becaue at the tip of the injector the fuel pressure will be 39 psi at where my fuel is (39-40ish) and when you are boositing there is pressure pushing against the fuel going into the manifold thus i need to raise the fuel rail pressure to compensate for the added backpressure on the injectors.
-Frankie
^^^^ Pretty scarey stuff. One more vote for running away from this hack tuner.

By the way, your combo and parts are fine, your maf has plenty of capacity for the hp you will make.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 AM
I think you have a higher probability of having your current tuner grenade your truck. There is simply no reason to boost fuel pressure at the rail, unless you're attempting to compensate for too small an injector or too small a MAF. Mail order tunes from a reputable tuner are just as safe as a dyno tune. There are known values for the parts you're using. A tuner can get you in the ballpark and then get you the rest of the way there by datalogging.

Talk to VMP tuning. You can get an expedited tune from him, but you need a programmer, like an Xcal2 or 3. It's my understanding that a chip in the newer processors doesn't allow complete control of the PCM. That may be part of your problem with your current tuner. You need a flash tool to be able to have access to all necessary parameters. As far as losing your deposit, I think it's a matter of a lesson learned. You'll come out a lot cheaper in the long run. Short blocks aren't cheap, nor is the labor to install.

Note that all of the guys responding to your thread are telling you the same thing. Everyone of them has a supercharger and knowledge of tuning.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
this guys tuner is an idiot... I hope we don't see a "my motor blew up" thread...

Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all right guys guess what?? my tuner and i were right i put the new FPR and sure enough with boost the fuel pressure guage moves steadily up with the boost, nothing else changed to accomplish this.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordfenatic09
all right guys guess what?? my tuner and i were right i put the new FPR and sure enough with boost the fuel pressure guage moves steadily up with the boost, nothing else changed to accomplish this.
Up to what?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
~48 to 50 psi so i was 5 psi off with my earlier estimation of 50 to 55psi

Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Good luck... you're going to need it.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
this guys tuner is an idiot... I hope we don't see a "my motor blew up" thread...
I'm sure we will be seeing this. Obviously, all of us who have been running boosted, tuned engines with this set up, and our tuners, don't know squat. I have run 12lbs. of boost and never seen any where near 50 lbs of fuel pressure. Oh well, with 110,000 miles and 300+ at rear wheels on a 4wd supercrew...I got nothin more on this thread.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:06 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think your tuner knows how to adjust the injector pulse width to accommodate the increased voltage range of the 90mm MAF so he is using stock tables and the increasing fuel pressure with boost to accomplish what our tuners do with lower fuel pressure. I hope things work out for you.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
I don't think your tuner knows how to adjust the injector pulse width to accommodate the increased voltage range of the 90mm MAF so he is using stock tables and the increasing fuel pressure with boost to accomplish what our tuners do with lower fuel pressure. I hope things work out for you.

Ok thanks for the good luck wishes, but my tuner has has over 150 gas vehicles using this set up and this method of tuning and none of them have grenaded so far . I really think that you just don't know the whole story of how your trucks are tuned, so i guess we'll have to see. If you get ahold of your tuner and ask him about what im saying and he says I'm wrong, and offers me a valid explination of how it is supposed to be done I will listen with the utmost attention and tell my tuner, but until i hear from your reputible tuner I plan on continuing with what simple logic tells me is the right way.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Every one posting in your thread has a supercharger and some have, or have had, more than one. At least a couple of us tune ourselves.
If you explained correctly the concept your tuner has re: fuel pressure and injector sizing, then you are heading down the wrong road.
Good luck.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Simple logic and sound engineering are two very different concepts. Tuning with fuel pressure may work fine at WOT and that's okay if that's all you do with your truck. If it's a daily driver, I don't think your PCM will be calculating accurate fuel metering data. Driving the injectors at higher pressure only stresses them and the fuel system. If you're running rich everywhere else you'll probably end up destroying your cats.

I've been tuning my own stuff for 9 years. I don't do it professionally. The information you seek isn't hard to find. If you want to talk to a reputable tuner, google VPM Tuning and post a question on their forum regarding your tuning questions. I'm sure Justin tunes 150 vehicles every couple of weeks. There's lots of knowledgeable folks in the Tuner & Programmer forum here.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
fordfenatic09 - good luck with your "tuner"

Old 10-18-2009, 02:54 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I install my mods call the tuner and he sends a tune. I install tune, start engine and drive the crap out of it. If your tuner is such hot shït why are you here asking for help? He should know how to do it. The tuner I use doesn't ask questions he answers them for others.......

Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 PM
I tune mine my self, and many other supercharged trucks, and sorry to say, but your tuner has some strange ways...I would go somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Procharger tuning probem!!! need help!!!