trying to put togther a twin turbo setup...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen87
Yea they are shortys and as far as I can tell from reading the only difference in the ports is 1/8th of an inch
the exhaust manifolds/headers are interchangeable

it's the intake manifolds that are not

Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahh, I see thanks for the info, thats sure to save me about 300 dollars at the least

Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
the exhaust manifolds/headers are interchangeable

it's the intake manifolds that are not
So, any modular exhaust manifold would bolt on, I believe. Some of the Mustang cast iron stockers might be worth a look.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ONELOWF
So, any modular exhaust manifold would bolt on, I believe. Some of the Mustang cast iron stockers might be worth a look.
yes as far as my research has shown the 2 valve exhaust manifolds will all interchange

Old 07-18-2009, 01:43 PM
when I put a turbo on this truck I know I am going to need a new fuel pump, how strong of a fuel pump am I going to need for this project and how strong of injectors (I was thinking about 42# injectors), also what do y'all think about the magnaflow flow through exhaust and an xpipe

Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear mounted turbo setup for 2002 5.4

I recently purchased a kit that came off of a truck just like mine. It is a shop built kit that they ran on this truck for quite a while and, according to them, put out 476 hp to the rear wheels. The turbo is a borg warner, T5, if I remember correctly, and does have the oil pump and intercooler with it. My big concern is that I have 137,000 miles on the truck and am not quite ready to blow the s*** out of it.

What do you think I should do?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 AM
when I put a turbo on this truck I know I am going to need a new fuel pump, how strong of a fuel pump am I going to need for this project and how strong of injectors (I was thinking about 42# injectors), also what do y'all think about the magnaflow flow through exhaust and an xpipe
I would check around for a lightning fuel hat so you can run the duel pumps. Depending how wild you plan to go you can pick up a set of 42's or i have seen 60's for 300 new. I would probably go with 60's so you can grow into them or 42's if dont plan on going much over 450hp. For the exhaust you can do anything but most seem to have good luck with the flow through magnaflows. Just dont use anything like the flowmasters with the baffles inside them. How was you going to run an x-pipe?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I dunno too much about the exhaust half of the pluming just yet it is more of asking what I can and cant do but I am going to go and buy some of that tubing that you use for a cloths dryer and make a mock turbo set up so that I can see in a more hands on way what I am dealing with as far as pluming

Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by profarm72
I recently purchased a kit that came off of a truck just like mine. It is a shop built kit that they ran on this truck for quite a while and, according to them, put out 476 hp to the rear wheels. The turbo is a borg warner, T5, if I remember correctly, and does have the oil pump and intercooler with it. My big concern is that I have 137,000 miles on the truck and am not quite ready to blow the s*** out of it.

What do you think I should do?
nice thread highjack 'eh???

do a compression test, leak test, if those check out OK back the boost down, get a good tune, and back up your transmission with a seperator plate or valve body at the minimum

Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 AM

I dunno too much about the exhaust half of the pluming just yet it is more of asking what I can and cant do but I am going to go and buy some of that tubing that you use for a cloths dryer and make a mock turbo set up so that I can see in a more hands on way what I am dealing with as far as pluming
check out turbof150.com, Mark (skidmarkracing on this site) has lots of pictures of his truck on there, also talk to him before you go any further as he's been there done that with turbo F150's

Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Doing a mock up is a good idea so you can test before you bend or weld wrong and have to start over. I was going to use pvc pipe since i have a large stock pile for mock up. You could use the flex pipe for an exhaust too, you can buy the cheep stuff since it is just for mock up. For the exhaust i was following a build on the turbo forums a couple months back (i dont get on their much now) where a guy built a mean 95ish 1500. He did a single 4" with two magnaflows one right after the other to quiet it down. It was a different caliber build than yours but the same concept applies. I would do a 3 or a 3 1/2 " single with a magnaflow.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 PM
well I was trying to get onto turbof150.com but it does not seem to be working right now so I will try again later, and as for the build as a whole I am kind of modeling it after an Lightning build on the turbo forums(except I am not building a custom intake manifold)

Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by scottbigred
Ok someone needs to clarify here. Some guys are talking about compounds and calling them twins and some guys are just talking about true twins. True twins will not spool fasters than a single, but compounds will and thats a fact.
That's very true. Also, someone above mentioned the reason for twin turbos and I'd like to clarify a bit.

Twin turbos (setup in parallel, or one one each manifold) will produce more cfm of airflow with the same amount of boost pressaure (psi). If they both put out 5 psi and a maximum of 300cfm each, then having them in a true twin setup like this will produce 600cfm while the entire setup stuill puts out 5psi. It's a good way to keep boost pressaures lower and keep high cfms. Believe it or not, psi is NOT the direct reason for power gains. It's the flow or cfm that makes the difference. PSI does factor in importantly, but it's not how much preasure you can stuff in there, it's how air you can stuff in there. Sounds tricky, but cfm is your key. Twin turbos simply keeps things in a lower psi level which is ultimately safer as well.

In the piggy-back setup (one small one pushing a larger one), you'll get the benefit of having some decent boost down low and having the larger turbo maintain a higher rpm boost level as well. And the lag is nothing to speak of really. It all depends on your setup and how well matched your components are.

I owned an 89 Probe GT (don't diss it, they are no joke) and it had a small turbo made by IHI. The motor was only 2.2 liter, but it had practically zero lag. It was small though and spooled way too fast. Extremely effective on the street (if I could get traction) because there was instant response. A larger turbo would have produced some lag, but unless I didn't know what I was doing, it wouldn't have been that noticable anyway.

On these trucks (mine is a 5.0) the turbo can be theoretically twice the size as the one on the Probe and still feel instantaneous upon boosting. Again, this is because there are twice the amount of cylinders here pushing out twice the amout of exhaust.

My recommendation for a turbo on these is a single medium or large turbo coming off of a Y-pipe from the manifolds. This would spool it up quick enough for street use and would maintain enough back preasure for a minimal muffler or none at all. Turbos do change the exhaust note some. They tend to mellow out and deepen them on large 4-bangers like the Probe had, v6's and v8's.

BTW, this is my first post. Hope it helped someone.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 AM
that is very helpful thanks and welcome to the site

Quick Reply: trying to put togther a twin turbo setup...