Roushcharger/Troyer

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep its worth the extra $5 to fill it up I like to toss in a few gallons of Sunoco GT100 when I can and thats like $9 a gal but the truck love it

Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I had talked myself out of getting the SC, but all your first hand accounts and reasoning has talked me back into saving the money...THANKS GUYS!! hahaha

Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive talked to Mike Troyer many a time over the phone. He's an awesome and very helpful guy! That roush kit is one of the best kits around. Be sure to she'll out the extra money for the ported upgrade version and get that 9.5PSI.

MPG wise my truck is the same now as it was stock. However, WOT eats gas like its going out of style. Cost me about 40 bucks to fill up on a full tank of Premium 91 octane.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 AM
this is nothing against Troyer... And I could be DEAD WRONG about this.... But I am beginning to wonder if a lot of the Roush recommendations that he makes are based off of the fact that he is one of the top Roush sellers in the country. anytime you ask him about a part that is in the Roush line up but is also in other companies market he immediately goes to the Roush parts and completely negates any other companies. I realize that Roush makes good parts but being the ONLY parts worth putting on these trucks? Like i said... this is NOTHING against troyer... he will most likely be the one doing my tuning when I go FI and I have talked to him many times... He is a great guy.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:00 PM
MDK
I think he pushes the Roush because the Magncharger doesn't put out as much power as the Roush and since both are under warranty it seems like the smarter choice.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Mike and his staff push Roush because he is a "Roush Dealer". Makes perfect sense if you think about it. Does a Ford dealer push Chevrolets or Dodges?
And being a Roush dealer does not mean they do not tune or work on "other" forced air induction systems. Mike has written many tunes for the other systems out there with great results, trust me when I say that he receives many calls from dealers and tuners looking to share his knowledge on tuning all brands of forced air inducted vehicles.

Last edited by Marc Carpenter; 04-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Mike and his staff push Roush because he is a "Roush Dealer". Makes perfect sense if you think about it. Does a Ford dealer push Chevrolets or Dodges?
And being a Roush dealer does not mean they do not tune or work on "other" forced air induction systems. Mike has written many tunes for the other systems out there with great results, trust me when I say that he receives many calls from dealers and tuners looking to share his knowledge on tuning all brands of forced air inducted vehicles.
Mike tuned my Procharger set up. He did an excellent job compared to the tune that came with the kit. I bought it from a local SCT tuner with a tune included in the price. I find no fault with recommending Roush if you are looking for a kit and don't have anything to start with.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I dont find fault in it either. the only problem that i would have with it is that when a person that is calling to find the BEST possible setup for his truck he automatically goes to Roush... Roush is a GREAT setup but i highly doubt that it is THE best setup out there. I just have a problem with giving slightly altered information to make sales. troyer does know his stuff. I think on my next trip north i am going to make a longer trip and go up to his shop.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midnight08
I just have a problem with giving slightly altered information to make sales. troyer does know his stuff. I think on my next trip north i am going to make a longer trip and go up to his shop.
Look at it this way. Mike chooses to sell a product, or product line he believes is worthy of selling. Altered information, I doubt it..... biased maybe.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
I should have worded it better... me and you are on the same page... Biased is a much better word.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I purchased one of the non-intercooled kits from roush overstock (ebay) last summer and put it on my 05 fx4. The way that the boost control works leaves the blower free-wheeling during normal driving and not producing boost. Once you increase engine load past a point (based on vacuum) the boost control valve shuts and she takes off like a rocket. So the blower makes boost when you tell it to, when you cruise on the freeway you are just like any other N/A truck for the most part. You just happen to be running more expensive gas .

Pull the trigger and buy the kit, its probably the best thing I have done to any vehicle EVER. Roush overstock still has several kits really affordable.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Well the roush set up he sells is really the MOST complete kit out there. Not only does it include the injectors (which some dont), he also goes as far to reduce weight in the pulleys by going after market which increases boost to about 9.5PSI and reduces rotating mass by 20-30LBS. On top of that he has the S/C ported to reduce heat and increase air flow and overall efficiency. With no other blower set up do you get that. He also throws in a custom tune based on YOUR truck. All other superchargers you have to have the done seperately aftermarket.

If you plan to have a supercharger, and never want to go up in boost (as you probably would be happy with the 400+RWHP the kit makes) then that in my honest opinion is the BEST kit on the market.

However, if you intend to go built motor and want more boost and power. Look at what the lightning guys replace their roots style Eaton blowers (Roush is roots style eaton) with. They go twinscrew and usually go Whipple for their twinscrew needs. (yes some go turbo or KB or centri).

Superchargers are no different then a truck motor, there is no replacement for displacement, and TwinScrew > Roots. At 8PSI it may not be entirely noticeable, but start getting up in the boost and see what builds power and stays in power alot longer before heat becomes a problem and the smaller 1.8L roots of the Roush cannot compete to a 2.3L twinscrew Whipple.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 AM
MDK
Alright so I woke up early this morning cause it's difficult to sleep in the world of Afghan! I had been debating on getting a motorcycle when I got back (less than a month) cause I wanted something fun but then I realized that since the truck is brand new and the SC has a warranty it seems better to get the two warranties together before the truck warranty is gone. Even then if I changed my mind I could still afford a motorcycle as well. I did some legit explaining to the wife along with some useful info from this thread and it's been deemed that this is not a bad idea. It cures my craving for a Mustang Gt or Chrysler 300 SRT8 power without the hefty pricetag and instead of being a $20K mistake it will be less than a $8K if a mistake at all. I verified with a few relatives that I wasn't crazy to think this way but I've got no credit card debt and the wife and I are both military so we make a decent amount of cash. I wrote Troyer again to get a walk out price but had a few questions for you guys:

1. I plan on getting the stage 4 kit so should I just keep the stock 7psi? If not what do I need to ask him for as far as safe power?
2. I was on dragtimes.com and saw a few F150s, mostly supercrew, that were running high to mid 13's blown then I saw a bolt-on reg cab 5.4l run high 14's if I remember correctly and I'm trying to figure out if almost $8K is worth a second and a half in the 1/4mile. Granted my truck is a supercab not screw and it has 3.73's with LSD on 17's but I was looking for low 13's high 12's. Is this possible without getting to crazy on PSI? I honestly want a truck with power but hassle free cause I don't have time to see Troyer every week.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Why not Ask Mike to piece together a set up capable of 800 hp out of a 5.4. Not, "I want a blower, what have you got? Then see what you get for an answer.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I saw whipple kits are selling for $3700 this morning...