pinging after magna charger install (big time)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinging after magna charger install (big time)

Hi All,
first post here, been lurking around trying to find out why after the install of my magna charger I have severe pinging throughout most of the RPM band. I have talked to tech support at magna and was told at first it was fuel pressure, it should be between 45-60ish PSI per the tech, check it and get back to us, well after hooking up a pressure gauge I get 28 PSI steady. I call magna back and speak to the same tech that I show 28 PSI, he then says that it was the tune. The tech gives me the number to their vendor who writes the tunes, I call him and he sends me another tune with some timing taken out. I download the tune and no change, call him (tuner guy) back and advise it did not help, I asked him if the pinging was possibly due to lack of fuel pressure from what the magna tech stated from earlier conversation (I do not know myself) or something else but he says no, and suggests that I am hearing things. I know what pinging sounds like and have had several people ride along and they hear the same thing. Anyway, after that last conversation, I no longer dealt with the "tuner guy", now before the install I ran 87 octane (currently use 93 octane) and could floor it all day long or take it easy when pulling a trailer and never, ever had a pinging problem, but since the install I have to take it real easy or it pings. I am not sure if it is the tune or something that may of been hidden underneath and the recent magna install brought it out, I have no clue. I did a somewhat work-around that I am currently using, I noticed that if I disconnect the vacum line from the magna manifold to the Fuel Rail Pressure and Temp sensor the fuel pressure would jump up to 40 PSI, I plugged that vacum line and with my SCT retarded the timing 2 degrees from 2-4K and from 4-8K RPM range, this has resolved about 95% of the pinging but if the engine is cold I get pinging when I go WOT but nothing before that if I take it easy,whereas before the workaround it would ping, and when the engine has warmed up to normal operating range I just get about 2-3 seconds of pinging "If I go WOT". I am not too technical and was wondering with this workaround what the issue could be. Is it lack of fuel, faulty COPs/ignition or in fact the tune?
Sorry for the long post but this problem is driving me crazy.
Thanks
Bryan

Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
i forget the formula my tuner told me but i know if you have 20 inches of vac 30lbs at ilde is good, is was like i lb of feul for every 2 inches of vac or something, i would say get someone to tune it like vmp or tp.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Either a lean situation or wrong timing can cause pinging, I used Troyer for a tune on a Procharged application and my detonation is now GONE. I recomend Troyer, call him directly and be ready for a lengthy conversation.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
The pinging you are hearing is DETONATION. Which BLOWS UP motors!!!! If you hear pinging then get your foot out of it.

With your fuel pressure gauges hooked up, remove the vacuum line off the FPR(Fuel pressure regulator) your fuel pressure should jump to 40PSI. With this being said for every pound of boost your fuel pressure should go up 1PSI. Im running 12PSI and and see 52PSI at WOT of fuel pressure. If it does go to 40 but doesnt go past 40 then your FPR is only seeing vacuum and not boost which means its hooked up wrong(i know this cause when i did the L swap on my truck i had this issue) Bottom line is that its not getting enough fuel or/and its a tuning issue.

Take some advice, either dont drive the truck at all until you get a GOOD tune from a tuner that tunes trucks(if he's the best at mustangs doesnt mean he is the best on trucks) or drive like a blind grandma if you must drive!!!!

Wayne

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I noticed that my fuel pressure with my fuel rail pressure sensor vacum line pulled will jump to 40 psi from 28 psi at idle but that's it, it will not move up when I am in boost at all. I have checked the install manual for the vacum line routing and they are all correct in what they are connected to. So the consensus is that it looks to be more of a tune issue than parts failure?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 PM
What kind of fuel pressure are you seeing at WOT? What kinda fuel pump?

Can you follow the vacuum line from the FPR and see where it is connected and post a pic for me?

Wayne

Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 AM
fuel pressure with the vacum line pulled and plugged from the fuel rail pressure sensor (no FPR) stays right at 40 psi at idle or WOT, with everything connected up normal, fuel pressure at idle is about 28 psi and at WOT won't move at all, stays at 28 psi. The fuel pump is stock. I can get a picture up later today.. thanks

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I have the picture of the vacum hose routing. will see if I can figure out how to get it posted.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I think its hooked up wrong some how. Post the pics for me. And you should really have a 255LPH pump.

Wayne

Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Sorry, I can't figure out how to post the picture, it is in my gallery however, its the only one in there. I was thinking of installing an aftermarket fuel pump, like a walbro but the only late model versions were for an 04, nothing for 05 +'s.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Its really hard to tell man! I think its a not enough fuel pressure. I wish i could help you more!

Wayne

Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A 2005 should have a returnless fuel system. Computer controlled fuel pressure.
It is in the tune. Read this; http://www.aa1car.com/library/returnless_efi.htm
Weather it be too much timing or not enough fuel it is all PCM controlled.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Update to my pinging problem..Took my F-150 up to see Mike at Troyer Performance, he did some dyno runs and data logging and got it running great now, no pinging at all. Now I have to work on the belt slippage, he showed me on the dyno sheets how the boost was anywhere from the low 6's to almost 9 PSI thru the entire run, on every run. Anyone out there with a magna figure this one out yet? It has the 2.8 inch pulley.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by batn68
Update to my pinging problem..Took my F-150 up to see Mike at Troyer Performance, he did some dyno runs and data logging and got it running great now, no pinging at all. Now I have to work on the belt slippage, he showed me on the dyno sheets how the boost was anywhere from the low 6's to almost 9 PSI thru the entire run, on every run. Anyone out there with a magna figure this one out yet? It has the 2.8 inch pulley.
i have heard of people using sand paper on the ribs of the pully to scuff it up a little so it will grab.

so you put down 380? what was your tq at?

Its about time we start to see the magnacharger guys come out with some info!!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Looking at the sheet Mike had printed out for me, this was from like the 5th pull I believe, max HP was at 354.93 and max torque was at 388.60 ft-lbs. I don't have the sheet when I actually got near 9 PSI but it was around 388 HP and darn near if not just a tad above 400 ft-lbs of Torque, if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: pinging after magna charger install (big time)