vg turbo=no turbo lag??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Variable geometry is more of a benefit on a small engine that is more prone to lag from limited exhaust flow. I would imagine the diesels might use it because they need to build boost right off idle. In a performance application on a V8 I don't think I'd bother, unless you are using a large turbo for extreme power you can size the turbo to have very good response without bothering with vg or other tricks....

Old 07-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01Roush
Variable geometry is more of a benefit on a small engine that is more prone to lag from limited exhaust flow. I would imagine the diesels might use it because they need to build boost right off idle. In a performance application on a V8 I don't think I'd bother, unless you are using a large turbo for extreme power you can size the turbo to have very good response without bothering with vg or other tricks....
Agreed. There seems to be a lot of controversy over this subject, but between all of the housings, housing sizes, and turbine and compressor wheel variations, you can build a really good turbo to "Match" your needs.

Quick Reply: vg turbo=no turbo lag??