Finally eliminated belt slip on my Powerdyne

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 11:20 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Finally eliminated belt slip on my Powerdyne

I finally eliminated slip and got 10lbs boost at 5200 rpm with a 2.8 inch pulley from Reichard Racing.

Man this is a blast. I am so excited I can't think. Its not good for an old fart like me to get this worked up. I have been working on this thing since I got it to try to eliminate slip and finally I did.

I got the pulleys from Reichard Racing and it took all 4 to do the job. The No-slip (2.8inch) and the ribbed pulley just before the tensioner did the most. I put the second idler pulley (non-ribbed) on just to eliminate belt flap on that long run back to the lower drive pulley. It only brings the belt in about 1/2 inch. The bosses that Reichard made were the exact spacing I needed so all I had to do was drill a 3/8" hole in the mounting plate, get a longer grade 8 3/8 inch Allen bolt and bolt them on. I had an x-tra supercharger mounting plate so it really got drilled up trying to find the best combination to make this work. Then I transferred the correct hole locations to my new plate.
If anyone is interested I have the old plate and can take pictures of where I located the holes.

The idler pulley is a double bearing pulley and you could probably get away without it. I really like it though and the quality is just great. All the pulleys and bosses were about 3 bills so be prepared for that. You can see in the pictures that the quality is there and similar quality is much more anywhere else.

If anyone is interested I will contact Richart's racing and see if he is interested in putting together a package for the powerdyne; or you can contact him and tell him the pulleys he sold to William in Manchester Maryland. I don't think I want to post my full name here.

I don't know why the additional idler pulleys have such an impact but suspect it is because there is less length between the pulleys and so less belt stretching. All I know is it works and man does it work. I had 8 lbs at 4800rpm. I probably won't run it this hard after today but I just wanted to get this thing straitened out. If the bearings will last then I may just be satisfied.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:23 AM
WLF
heres two more pictures for your viewing pleasure

Old 10-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Not bad, in addition to working well they look pretty too! Eye candy is always nice.

How's your Powerdyne liking the recently cooler weather? Do you plan to change your tune when the temps drop more?

Thanx.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WLF

Thats just plain sexy!

Garrett

Old 10-26-2004, 08:33 AM
WLF
LE PEW,
It runs great with the colder weather. I probably won’t change the tune any, Mike has already maxed out the tune as much as possible without an actual dyno-tune. I may have to consider an after cooler next summer with it hitting 10 lbs. I worry about my cross country trip next year pulling the trailer. I will keep my eye open for options.

horizon_huskies, thanks; it does add a little bling when I open the hood.

Last edited by WLF; 11-11-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:17 PM
WLF
I'm back.

In as much as this setup did eliminate slip, it was short lived. As soon as the belt started to stretch it started slipping. It became very clear to me that unless I wanted to tighten the belt daily then I had to come up with another plan.

I used a Procharger spring loaded tensioner I got from Crash a few months ago and modified it to work with my set-up. So far (several days now) it is working good so I am going to post pictures. I think a bolt on tensioner from an early 4.6 may be easier to set up but I can't guarantee that.
Heres the pictures.

I am still making 10 lbs at 5200 RPM but prefer not to pull past 4800 RPM. I bought a Vortech water to air intercooler off E-bay and will have it installed before next summer. If I can get rid of slip I will post impressions. At this point I can't say I recommend Powerdyne given all I have had to do to make it work. It does give some nice performance once you get it working. I am still way ahead as far as price goes on any other kit. I think belt slip must be an issue on the other Cent superchargers as well after all I have read.
If this doesn't work then I am going to an 8 rib setup.
Wish me luck, I think I'm all out of skill...

Old 11-15-2004, 08:33 AM
WLF, first of all you do very nice work! I have a Powerdyne 8 rib setup on a Gen1 Lightning that is putting 400 to the wheels. I have also been having belt issues and feel that there needs to be an spring loaded idler sold with this unit. I have a Procharger D1SC on my other truck and I like your idea. I am going to take this Gen1 turbo in the next year , so belts will not be an issue but until then, I think I will follow your lead. Thanks for taking the time to post your findings and for posting the pictures!

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 AM
WLF
Flats Man,
I have seen pictures of your work when you were building your Procharger motor so a complement on my workmanship from you is a real boost to the ego.
So far this is working as planned. I may still go with an 8 rib set-up just so I don’t have to crank the tension down so much. That will have to wait until warmer weather, maybe when I put the Aftercooler on in the Spring.
Now it’s time to get my new long block finished. I have a place inside I can assemble it.
Man boost is a blast. Don’t know how I managed without it. Really what this 4.6L needed to bring it alive.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
WLF
ONELOWF,
This post will show you the pulley on both the stock tensioner and the spring loaded tensioner. I am again working on the spring loaded tensioner. The problem I had in the past is the tightening bolt was under such stress that it warped the threads. I am working on a way to use it that will be more user friendly.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
I like that, I might try something similiar. Dugan has been telling me I need to reinforce my unit as it shakes a bit.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WLF-
Thanx, that's what I was after.
Powerdyne ( FRPP ) sent me a tensioner pulley bracket that was too short, so I spacered it, and I am temporarily using it to get set up with the 2.93 and 2.7 pulleys.
A call to Powerdyne yielded a new bracket quick enough, but it is about a 1/4" too tall. At a glance, it looks like the nice tensioner pulley you have would work with the new bracket, as it is wider and has a different offset.

Navi - Chuck uses an extra bracket from the top of the mounting plate / back to the engine: he saw flex as low as 2500 rpm before the bracket. - I am moving my DR side coil pack to the other side and still playing with customisng the intake, and I will then do the same.
IMHO the plate is stout enough, but the fact that it mounts on to a timing chain cover is not optimal.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Those pulley's look sweet nice setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 07:29 AM
hey guys i'm running the powerdyne too on my 5.4 and like ya'll can't get past the squeeking. what is the most simplest way?? also WLF, do you know where i can get some inlet and outlet tubing like yours?? i ordered some from powerdyne and for the price was sure that it would be steel but ended up being plastic.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crash_lucky13 -
Please describe the squeeking. Do you mean the belt slipping?

Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Powerdyne belt squeel

I also have the powerdyne supercharger on my 2004 Screw it also makes squeel when I get on it. I was told by powerdyne to use a drift punch and a hammer to get any slack out. After doing this my squeel went away but man is the belt tight ,Too Tight..... Just can't be good, I know there will be premature failure by doing this and Powerdyne better recognize this condition and fix it.

Quick Reply: Finally eliminated belt slip on my Powerdyne