Lightning time

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by brahmus
Iron horse:
Actually she is into this as much as i am! Check my photo gallery she drives a v6 2002 stang that she works on and after the warranties are up Supercharger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also can you enlighten me on the boost gauge since this is my first round? What exactly is vacum? is the SC not creating boost or just not enough boost to push it past atmospheric pressure? even at vacum is this still better than N/A or just the same?
The engine is a huge air pump that sucks in air creating a vacuum. The air goes into the roots supercharger, which passes the spinning action of the supercharger rotors. The spinning rotors will compress the air creating pressure (and heat). At idle, it is not spinning fast enough to compress the air (at a noticable rate), due to the rate of vacuum. It is "pushing" some air, even at idle, so its got to be better than N/A.

Nice and clear photos of the reservoir install (nice camera). I am going to try do do a similar set up. Thanks!

Is there any dyno shops near you? No matter how the chip turned out, you owe it to yourself to have a dyno anyway. As well as, I think it is far safer to be running rich, than lean, until you can get your chip dyno tweaked.

Last edited by iron horse; 09-07-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Got the ladder bars on and got some 4.56 gears installed front and rear!!! I didn't notice a HUGE difference but it did make some and i was easy on it. Break in period and all! I live in southern Louisiana so i haven't sent my chip in yet in fear that hurricane ivan is coming this way so i'll have to wait for further tuning! What i did notice is that i am only seeing 10lbs of boost max!! 8+4+apten port-long tubes=?? I thought i'd get more than 10!

Old 09-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 psi at what rpm?

On mine, I see 13-14 at 3500 then it climbs to 17 at 5200.

I believe the headers will knock it down 1-2 psi, depending on what you have for an exhaust beyond them.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
brahmus,

It may be your "boost actuator". It may have a leak or a hose may not be hooked up correctly. Here are some threads concerning this issue:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...boost+actuator

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...boost+actuator

If you search the phrase "boost actuator" in titles only, in the lightning forum, you will get 20 threads with detailed info and pics.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by iron horse; 09-09-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:14 PM
The only part in the assembly that can affect boost is the Bypass valve.

The actuator is the Black cylindrical device on the drivers side rear of the supercharger that has two vacuum lines running to it.

The valve proper is a butterfly in the lower portion of the blower case. You can check for proper adjustment of the actuator by simply pressing down on the lever connected to the butterfly shaft. It should not move when pushed down. If it does, loosen the two bolts attaching the actuator and move it down until the valve is fully closed.

There is also an adjustment for the butterfly valve itself but adjustment requires removal of the blower.

It has a stop screw, not unlike the idle adjustment in a carburetor and can be adjusted to close until it just barely doesn't stick.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:32 AM
brahmus,

Was something robbing you of boost?

Old 09-15-2004, 08:01 AM
I think between the long tube headers and the 95 F heat here that is where the missing boost is going. haven't driven it much as i am waiting to send the chip back to get leaned out after this hurricane passes!

Old 09-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Brahmus,

I have the SCT racer package , the LM 1 a/f meter as well as a data logger. I have yet to have the time to figure how to use all of this. But I am in houston and if you want to use it you are more than welcome. You would have to get a chip from SCT, but you could tune it yourself. No guess work. I travel alot so drop a line. Also hope everything goes well with IVAN breathing down your neck.

Bill

Old 09-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Bill you have mail! Thanks a ton, That is what i love about this forum is most everyone is willing to help a brother, or sister (not many of them here) out. I'll have to do some research and see if i trust myself with the details.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah, outdare is as cool as StingRay (RayCee). I wish that those two, would hook up with Mad., Wittom, Ian N, R.G., Bullitt, Cerucker and brahmus and start a specialized website entitled something like,
"BOOST & BAZOOKA BABES" featuring supercharged F150s and bikini babes. Yeeaah,......and then.....OOPS! Sorry, I got carried away.

......oh yeah, and BrotherDave too.

Last edited by iron horse; 09-15-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Did you and your truck survive Ivan?

Old 09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
I puckered my butt hole and we missed the whole thing. We didnt' even get rain. We got some wind but being on the west side helped. So I shipped out the chip yesterday and they should see it by Monday, can't wait to get it back. WOO hoo!!

Old 09-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Got Chip?

Old 09-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Called today they should get it out today or tomorrow so sometime next week. I'm having withdrawls!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Just FYI, I think I'll be sending future convertees to Sal at PSP. I saw him dial one in from barely driveable (pig rich) to 11.8 straight as a string in two pulls at our Norcal Dyno day last wekend.

The guy is incredible to watch as he programs, he goes from screen to screen, making changes faster than I could read what the name of each table was.

Quick Reply: Lightning time