Do subwoofers have to be broken in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do subwoofers have to be broken in?

I asked this in another forum and was told by one person that they have never broken in subwoofers before.
Polk suggests low volume for 20-30 hours when new.

Any thoughts on this?

Mike

Old 06-15-2002, 05:18 AM
This one should spark up some debate....The answer to this question is "yes". Your subs will go through a "break-in" period where the woofer will "loosen up" and begin to extrude further as it "loosens up". I'm not sure anyone is going to debate that.

Where the debate will no doubtedly come in is in the process of how this is done. I have a friend that is a installation wizard. He is extremely knowledgable and has done some very fine work, including Tony Gwynn's (Padre hall of famer) Supercharged SuperCrew, as well as one of the Chargers' Navigator. In his opinion, which I agree with, high output subwoofers don't need an easy break-in period. The should be pushed to their limit for a considerable period of time. He hooks up the subwoofer to a tone generator coming from the amp. This tone generator is tuned to the peak SPL of the sub/enclosure. Then he lets the sub have it all night while the store is closed. His break in period for my Solobarics was to hook them up to the tone generator and set it to about 50HZ for about 20 hours (two nights). This greatly reduced the amount of time it took me to break them in. I could tell they were breaking in by the amount of extrusion. They actually felt looser after the break-in, and continued to loosen up for a while after.

I have seen that some manufacturers want you to play them at low volumes, but that just doesn't make sense. These are an electro-mechanical device. There are moving parts, but nothing that requires tight tolerances or lubrication. So there's no need to start it up slowly and ease your way into it.

Basically, subs displace more air throughout the break-in period. When they reach a plateau, you've completed the break-in period. If you play them at low volumes, how are they going to loosen up and be prepared for serious power? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Like I said, this is sure to stir up a few different opinions. I'm a true believer in what I wrote above. My subs are living proof...147.2db in a 2.0 cubic feet sealed box. Respectable numbers whichever way you look at it..............JB

Old 06-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks JB.

Kim on Polk's forum told me to play them at "normal" levels and then they will break in and produce better, more detailed bass over time. I don't know if the Polk GNX subs would be considered, "High-output" subs as you stated, probably not since they are only rated at 175 watts rms.

Mike

Old 06-20-2002, 03:32 AM
I will agree that subs DO require a break-in period but will say that it's normal listening levels. If that means tons of bass and your ears can take it then go for it.

As a sub matures the sound will become less tight as the surround and spider in the driver loosen up.

Whether 20 hrs of 50hz at 500wrms or whatever is good for a sub is up for serious debate... as far as I'm concerned it's that much less life left in it.

True, these are electromechanical devices and nothing to really wear out, however, the spiders and surrounds do become slightly weaker as the unit ages eventually leading to non linear cone/voicecoil movement leading to damage of the windings on the former and eventual failure. Today's better high excursion subs like higher priced Audiobahns, DD's, Alumapro's, etc are all excellent designs that can take a beating and will last many many years.

Old 06-20-2002, 04:51 AM
Thumbs up

Well stated p_ferlow. "Normal" listening levels is an ambiguous term, and will differ from listener to listener.

True, over time these electro-mechanical devices WILL wear out. There is a life expectancy on subs. I'm not sure I subscribe to the philosophy that I may be using up part of my subs life expectancy during the break in period, thus shortening the usable amount of hours.

If you spend hours and hours planning and installing a system, and then play it at low volumes just to break them in, you are cheating yourself the audible quality the subs are capable of. It seems that this would in turn undermine the reason you spent so much time installing them in the first place.

My $.02...probably more like $.03, but who's counting....JB

Old 06-20-2002, 06:59 AM
depends on the sub.

like anything it will change with the material that it is made from.

hex speaker(made from kavlar) they need 100 hours to break in but my JL's do not need any time..
also depends on the weather. I have -40 weather in winter months so I like to take it easy on them till the cab is nice and warm. a good 15 min of playing warms them up nicely.

Old 06-23-2002, 11:49 PM
I forgot to mention that the subs that don't have the tinsel leads woven into the spider definitely have a certain playing life as those leads will bust off one day... then again you may have grey hair by the time that happens.

Uhhh... my 4 cents.

Quick Reply: Do subwoofers have to be broken in?