Running Wire to Door Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Running Wire to Door Speakers

A lot of people hate running new wire to door speakers. I'm one of them. But the F-150 is a lot easier than some of the vehicles I've done. Here's a little tip for the process. Use a coat hanger, and some sort of lubricant. Straighten out the coat hanger. Make a small loop in the end. Do not make a hook, it will only snag the other wires. Make sure you bend it over enough to make a loop out of it. A small piece of tape can be used to secure the wire to the hanger after you've slipped it through the loop. Some vaseline really helps out on the hanger and wire. Its a tight fit in there.

As seen in the picture below, it helps if you actually pop the boot off the frame while you do this. Try just one side at a time though, otherwise you end up compressing the boot too much. Just pop out the side you will be running the speaker wire through first, then do the opposite side to actually get it through. On the passenger side, it was easier to attach the wire and run it through from the inside out. The driver's door will give you the most problems because there are more wires running through the boot not to mention the bracket for the parking brake and other wire harnesses located in your way. For the driver's side, I ran a coat hanger through the door into the cab. It stopped when it hit the parking brake bracket, so I used another hanger to snag the tip and pull it down. Once I had the tip of the original hanger, I attached the speaker wire to it and gently pulled it out back through the door. Lubricate it!!! You can watch the damn boot flex as it hangs up on all the factory wiring if its not able to slide through.

Old 05-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

That's exactly what I did a year ago when I did mine, but the hook/loop thing eluded my mind for a while The biggest pain was getting the fender plugs back in. Those flimsy things kept popping back out so many times, I left them off, LOL!,,,,,98

Old 05-19-2002, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the tip Compressor. I am going to have to do that myself with this new system I bought.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Mike V
Thanks for the tip Compressor. I am going to have to do that myself with this new system I bought.
Oops! Spelled that wrong.
I meant to say "Kompressor"

Quick Reply: Running Wire to Door Speakers