S'Crew Speaker Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S'Crew Speaker Install

Truck = 2001 F150 S'Crew

Speakers = Haven't picked them out yet, but leaning towards Pioneer or Kenwood.

Problem = Don't want to pay the jokers to install them when I can do it myself. Any suggestions on how to pop off the door panels on both the front and back doors?

Thanks a million, guyz!

Jenn in Maryland

Old 04-29-2002, 03:53 PM
I'm going by memory here but this should be close....

On the front doors:
Remove the 2 screws at the very bottom of the panel, pop off the trim around the door handle by pulling on the front edge and then sliding out toward the front(remove 1 screw behind there), remove the piece where the window switches are by pulling up on the front and then sliding toward the front(remove another screw behind there). Grasp the entire door panel with both hands, pull out slightly and upward and it should come right off.

On the rear doors:
pull off the trim piece that is at the top rear of the door(goes up the door frame beside the glass- remove 1 screw behind there), then follow the steps for the front door.

Changing the speakers is easy after you get the panels off. Hopefully I didn't leave anything out (if I did, somebody will let us know).

Good Luck!!

Old 05-21-2002, 08:28 AM
Jenn,

I just got 2 pair of Cerwin Vega HED 1683s 3 way 6x8s for my 2001 SCrew yesterday. One thing about these CVs is the mount depth is only 21/4 inches, which is what the back doors require (check Crutchfields web site for info). The only thing I am worried about is the tweeter and midrange stick up above the speaker instead of being level with it. I'll post again when I get them installed. You can hear these speakers at Best Buy but their price is high $110+/pair I think. I paid $70/pair plus $20 shipping from DiscountsJungle.com

Robdude30: Thanks for the install post.

Bob
2001 Supercrew XLT 4x2
5.4L Deep Wedgewood Blue/Silver

Old 05-28-2002, 10:32 AM
Thumbs up

Jenn,

Robdude30's install instructions were perfect. I got my Cerwin Vega 1683's installed over the weekend and it was a breeze. They sound great, what a difference over the factory weaklings.

One suggestion, go to Best Buy Mobile Install and get the speaker harnass adapters to convert the Ford setup to an aftermarket setup. This way you won't have to clip the speaker wires and crimp on connecters. I had to do this since the Best Buy closest to my house was out of this particular adapter. The adapters were only $10 for all 4 doors. Take 1 of your Ford speakers to Best Buy so they can get you the proper adapter. Evidently, there several different types of Ford speaker connectors.

One thing about the CV 1683s: the tweeter and mid-range are higher than the rest of the speaker.
There are no grills with these speakers but you don't need them. The plastic grill on the SCrew door brushes up against the tweeter and mid-range but is not putting any real pressure on them. I've had the speakers cranked and there has been no vibration. I installed the plastic frame that came with the CV's but I don't think it was needed. If I hadn't used it, perhaps the door would not touch the tweeter and mid range.

Good Luck.
Bob

Old 05-28-2002, 03:29 PM
Talking Glad to be of service......

.......I'm pretty good at taking stuff apart, but the going back together thing I have to work on.

Enjoy the new speakers, wxfcstr!

Quick Reply: S'Crew Speaker Install