Bass from front doors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bass from front doors?

Has anybody managed to get any bass at all from the front door speakers? I have a 99 Supercab, with Pioneer 6895's in the front doors, stock speakers still in the rears, and if I fade to the front, there is no bass at all! I seem to remember having the same problem with the factory speakers; all the bass seems to come from the rear doors. Is this normal? I want to replace the rears, but I'm almost afraid of losing what bass I have. All polarities are correct.

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2002, 08:23 PM
Couple of things to check:

1. Are the speakers out of phase? i.e. are you sure you wired + to + and - to - on BOTH of the speakers? If speakers are wired out of phase you'll notice a distinct loss of bass and 'holes' in the midrange. (sounds like somebody is waving cardboard around the interior)

2. Did you build a proper infinite baffle? A lot of people like to expand the gasket around the door speakers with a couple of sq ft of dynamat around the speakers. This helps to dampen buzzy vibrations and improve the midbass. The farther you can force the sound to travel around the speaker from back to front, the better your bass will be.

3. Check your amp +/ headunit crossover settings. Many amps and headunits have settings for high pass crossovers, where they assume you want a subwoofer to handle the low notes. See if you have a subwoofer setting enabled on the headunit, or if you have an amp switch set to "hi pass".

Old 03-23-2002, 07:57 PM
i still have the stock speakers i mine (but i'll be putting pioneers in soon). I notice that there's more bass coming from the back. I guess it's just the acoustics of the cab. Must be the way the sound bounces around back there.

Quick Reply: Bass from front doors?