component installation???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
component installation???

Will the small round tweeters in component speakers fit just inside the rear view mirrors on the F150's????

For those of you that have done the installation, where did you mount them??

Old 02-26-2002, 11:38 PM
I mounted my component tweets in the door panel, directly forward of the door handle, where the "soft" portion ends. My round tweets look like they belong there. Overcome any fear of ripping the soft vinyl by first completely covering the install site with masking tape, then carefully cutting thru the vinyl with an X-acto blade, using the template from your speaker box. Follow up with a hole cutter of the appropriate size. The placement is forward and high enough to provide you with excellent imaging and a professional look.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Excellent, thank you for the help.

Old 02-27-2002, 02:41 PM
The location you are talking about is called the sail panel. You can fit some tweeters in this location, but it takes a lot of modification. Centered on the back of the sail panel is the friction clip that holds it to the doorframe. The tweeter has to be able to be flush mounted. It looks really clean when you get them in there, just realize that it takes quite a bit of planning and work. If worst comes to worst, sail panels are cheap and abundant in salvage yards.

Old 02-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Not exactly in a F150, but........

......several years back I had a Toyota 4x4 that I mounted tweets in the rearview mirror. It wasn't that hard. I just removed the glass, made a panel out of a thin piece of paneling, covered that in material that matched my seats and surface mounted the tweets to that. Last, I took a drill bit and bored a hole up through the mirror stem and fed the wire through.

It looked really cool but I'm not so sure that it sounded very good...really screwed up the sound stage. It would probably sound good if you also had tweets in the sail panels or doors.

Old 02-28-2002, 09:17 AM
"Sail Panel". That's interesting. I wonder why that name was chosen.
I personally had no problem with installing my flush mounts at the spot I referenced, and did not really consider it a major mod. Perhaps panels in other model 150's are slightly different? I really love the imaging from that spot. When wifey rides with me, she's always brings older U2 and Police CD's -- says she likes the feeling of "being there" at her "mini-concert". Satisfaction enough for me, I suppose, but I do get just a little embarassed at traffic lights with the volume pumped and she's bouncing around on the seat, arms flapping, fingers snapping to the music.

Old 02-28-2002, 10:02 AM
I was thinking of mounting my tweeters there as well. Has anyone mounted them on the forward-facing side of the a-pillar trim piece? I think that's how to describe the location I'm thinking of. On the side of the trim piece that points towards the windshield. Would the imaging be better? It look like it would be easier to install there as well, because you wouldn't have to worry about the mounting tab as much as you would on the sail panel.

I was also thinking of making a custom "box" for the woofers as well. I know Q-form kickpanels would probabaly be the best but they are $$$. I am thinking of mounting the woofer in the front map pocket in the doors. If I could fiberglass the opening closed and then top it with carpet or vinyl to match I think it would look pretty cool.

Any thoughts?

Thanx,

JGD

Old 02-28-2002, 11:29 AM
http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list...aker%20Systems

How are these prices for the MB's?? I'm not talking the $700 ones, the $200-300 range

Will a 7" fit in the front doors?? If not, what is the biggest that will fit, UN-mod'd. I'm not cutting metal to fit them.

How is the install for the components??

Old 02-28-2002, 03:31 PM
I was going to put in Quarts, too. Then I found these:
http://www.diamondaudio.com/car/
Compare them to the much more expensive Focal brand -- and the Quarts. Compare also the construction and materials to the Quarts. They're worth a serious listen. Exceptional clarity. Very precise. Rock solid quality construction. I can listen to the muted and ghostly vocals of Delerium, or the pounding thump of the Herbalizer and obtain a wonderfully clean, powerful sound, but I think you need a modest amp to take full advantage because the speakers are quite stiff. I think you'd probably decide to pony up for the Diamond.
If you aren't going to cut metal, then you'll probably have to go with a QForm box, or a JLAudio Stealthbox. The stealthbox's aren't for everyone -- or their wallet -- but worth every cent. Trust me.
http://www.jlaudio.com/
I fit the 5.25 DA Motosports into my front doors with the aid of a plate (no cutting) and 6.5 round in my back door. I wouldn't bother with the back at first. My comp's and sub are so clean, I just can't hear the Kicker Impulse 6.5 coax in the back. I shoulda just put in a couple more midrange or tweets back there for fill and added brilliance. I suggest you concentrate on replacing the front stage and adding bottom end first.

Old 03-01-2002, 12:46 AM
I have no plans to change the rears at all, everyone says unless you REALLY upgrade them, it is a waste of $$. I probably will have to go with a smaller 5.25" component just so I'm not mod'ing the doors.
There are just SOO many brands, I have narrowed it down to a few, but there are still quite a few.

I started looking to just add components in the front, then I started looking at a new MP3 playing HU instead of the XM radio, now I am considering a small amp to take advantage of the new speakers.....AAAHHHHHH the decisions....LOL

Old 03-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Thumbs up DiamondAudio is the way to go

I'm about to go pick up my truck with Diamond Audio Hex 6.5s components and two M5 12's. I would have gone with the MacDaddy 12's but they required more airspace than I was willing to give up.

And I actually listened to the Diamond's right before I was about to go with the Quarts from another shop and I thought the Diamond's blew the Quart's away.

Of course, I'll post what it sounds like in my truck later tonight....

Old 03-01-2002, 09:25 PM
Sail Panel

"Sail Panel" because it is triangular much like the mainsail of a small boat. The surface mount doesn't look bad if you use a shallow tweeter, the real challenge is flush-mounting them. Tweets sound best at ear level. If you can get modified panels, or surface mount them to the panels, up along the windshield is the best place for them.

Old 03-14-2002, 02:14 AM
Slapshot, I put my Infinity Kappa tweeters in the sail panel also. Here are some pics.

Roger

Last edited by z96Cobra; 03-14-2002 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:52 PM
And more...

Roger

Old 03-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Does anyone have pics of tweets flush mounted in the A-pillar trim piece?

Quick Reply: component installation???