Speakers with the best BASS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers with the best BASS

Hey I am thinking about upgrading my totally stock stereo system on my 1999 F-150 x-cab. Right now I think I am going to add some new speakers, and we'll see where it goes from there. I'm looking for the speakers with the best overall sound quality, specifically bass. It seems like the Polk dX7's are a pretty popular choice, but I've also heard that Pioneers have better bass. Which ones are the better choice to get the bass that I want?

Also, it would be really nice to fit some 6 x 9's in. It doesn't seem like there is gonna be enough depth in the front, but maybe in the back to give some good bass fill in. I've heard some 6 x 9's (even some stocks on a chevy car) that really kick in the way of bass. I'm pretty sure that it's possible to fit some 6 x 9's in my truck, but what does it take to do that and where can I get the parts.

Lastly, is my factory head unit going to pump enough power to these speakers, or should I get an amp for them. If so, what's a good 4-channel amp at a reasonable price?

Well I think I covered about everything, thanx for your input
-Graham

Old 01-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Cool

I've got a buddy that has a 12" square kicker solo baric in his car, and damn does it sound good. His brother has three 10" round kicker solo baric's and the 12" square sounds just as good if not better. Another plus is that the square solo baric is sooo compact it's unreal, smallest box I think I've ever seen on a 12". The down side to the 12" square is that it's gonna cost about the same as 3 10"s, but if you've got the money I'd definately go for it. He's pushing it with a kicker amp too, but I don't know how big. My buddy also has a kicker component system and the highs SCREAM. It is the best sounding system that I know of.

I've got 2 10" xtant subs with an MTX amp pushing them. I'm using the factory head unit and all of the factory speakers. The subs and system sounds good for pretty much being completely factory. But definately nothing to compete against a kicker square solo baric and compenent system.

Hope this gives you some more insight on some other products that you may want to check out. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide on.

Rambo

Old 01-22-2002, 10:57 PM
I got new Pioneer and they have good bass! I don't know about Polk, never tried them, i'm an all out Pioneer guy, that's ALL i'll have, not anything not pioneer..

Old 01-23-2002, 03:50 AM
I was a BIG pioneer fan! (I still love their heads and changers) I recently explored the world of upgrading speakers, and bang for the buck (cheaper way) the polk's or pioneer's are a great value. However, if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, I HIGHLY recommend Focal. Either their PolyKevlar of Utopia lines. They are a little hard to get a hold of, but these things are the most clear, crisp, punchy, and well rounded speakers I have ever heard. I will never again use any thing but Focal!

Old 01-25-2002, 01:09 AM
Go with 6.5s or if you are feeling more adventurous...go with 8s. Skip on the oval speakers.

Old 05-23-2002, 11:51 PM
Adamski... where did you snag your Focals?

Originally posted by adamski
I was a BIG pioneer fan! (I still love their heads and changers) I recently explored the world of upgrading speakers, and bang for the buck (cheaper way) the polk's or pioneer's are a great value. However, if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, I HIGHLY recommend Focal. Either their PolyKevlar of Utopia lines. They are a little hard to get a hold of, but these things are the most clear, crisp, punchy, and well rounded speakers I have ever heard. I will never again use any thing but Focal!
ADAMSKI! Hey there fellow Houstonian!

Just wanted to ask where you snagged your Focal Polykevlar's from? Did you install them yourself? Use Dynamat? I have a 2001 F-150 XLT SCab and am seriously considering those speakers... but like you said, they are a royal pain to find around here to listen to. Did you actually HEAR them before you bought? I was leaning towards the Diamond Audio HEX 600s or 600a but have heard so many good things about the Polykevs that I am now leaning that way... just wish I could HEAR the suckers side by side. It's a shame that a city this size doesn't have a car stereo dealer that is worth a crap... at least that I have found. Drop me a line if you get a chance... thanks.

Later,
Jeff in Missouri City, TX

Last edited by SliderJeff; 05-24-2002 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:40 AM
Hey,the best speaker can sound crappy in the wrong enclosure with not enough power,i'm running a single Memphis dual voice coil 12 and Rockford Fosgate for the power in a ported box and I don't think i'll ever need to upgrade over that,...it's tight and accurate

Old 05-28-2002, 11:26 AM
I just installed my pioneer 3-ways over the weekend. They make enough bass to shake the mirror on the windshield

(i'm not running an amp either)

Old 06-01-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by DanB 360
I just installed my pioneer 3-ways over the weekend. They make enough bass to shake the mirror on the windshield
Mine make enough bass to rattle your mirrors too!!

Old 06-17-2002, 11:30 PM
Mine make enough bass to make the side mirrors shake, and the rearview mirror too. I was driving down the road the other day and the cd player was blasting. Somehow everytime the bass hit, it would feel like my engine was missing. Only to find out it was my speakers! Duh! Stupid me.

Quick Reply: Speakers with the best BASS