Anyone have an AMPLIFIED THUNDERFORM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have an AMPLIFIED THUNDERFORM?

I'm planning on getting an MTX Thunderform for my regular cab, which comes with the two 10" subs. I know that plenty of you out there have the loaded t-form with a separate external amplifier, typically the 4250d. I was wondering however, if anyone has an amplified t-form? I'm kinda leary of getting that one (even though it would be much cheaper) because the subs used are not the 6000's and the amp is only 100w. The MTX website says that the "subs are made specifically for the amplified ThunderForm" and that "they are a perfect match for the amp" but if it's not loud, then I'll spend the extra cash and buy the t-form and amp separately. Any help is appreciated...

Old 01-10-2002, 10:09 AM
I would not do it.

Its kind of funny that the site says those speakers are specifically designed for the thunderform box, they speakers were out before the box was so how is that possible? :-) Anyway it all depends on what you are looking for. They are good speakers but they are NOT going to shake things, They will increase the bass in your vehicle to a certain extent. At low to medium volume, they sound good. They dont hit the lows tones but its better than stock. I have a 2000 F150 and I my rear seat is a 40/60 and I just lifted up the 40 side and had a box built to hold a 12". You loose the seat but it sounds much much better. Another think you can do. I think it is kenwood who came out with the 7x10" full range speakers. A friend of mine had them installed in the rear door panels and they rock. Granted, they have to do some cutting on the door, but you will never see it. If you go that route, be sure they put the polly stuffing inside the door panel (about 2 pounds) This will trick the speakers to thinking it is in a much bigger box and it will let you acheive the lows you need. The 7x10 are by keenwood and have a good price:
Kenwood Excelon KFC-X718
Our Price: $149.00
MSRP: $300.00 You Save: $151.00

This was at www.onlinecarstereo.com

Old 01-17-2002, 02:02 AM
Talking Mtx Thunder...........

I sell these things. The box without the amp is the best way to go. Buy the 4250d seperate. When u buy the whole thing it comes with 4000 series subs. Get the ebc (extended bass control)
u can control the amp from the box. Mine is mounted in the top of my radio kit. Be on the look out the new series subs have a chrome look 2 them.

Lowered LB Limo 99 5 speed 4.6
APC projector headlights, diamond clear corners
billet grill
ARE low pro bed cover
tru duals
18 inch Alba Blitz
Belltech drop kit, and shocks
Alpine CVA 1003, 12 disc changer
PS2
Mtx thunder250d(Last years mod.)
mtx t6104 subs
monster cable PG line driver
Polk dx 7 (5x7's)
And more......

Old 01-17-2002, 10:22 AM
Thank's buck50... that's the route I'll go.

Old 01-28-2002, 01:43 AM
Cool MTX Thunder series

Let me know how everything turns out. Don't forget to use 4ga wire.

Old 02-02-2002, 05:43 PM
The subs ARE made for the amplified enclosures. THey are 1 ohm drivers. and they aren't 4000's btw. They are basically an equivlane to the old mtx paper roadthunders IMO. I bought the thunderform that was preamplified and preloaded for my lightning.

I was VERY disappointed with it, bass got VERY muddy at any volume. Soo i tore it apart to load it with something else. Subs are cheap *** subs, and the amp...man it took me 10 mins to find it, its a little POS, no heat sink, and is about 5x3 inches. I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it for ya.

Best bet IMO is get the 6000's (cheap good solution and sound very good in there) and run it with some decent power from a quality amp. I just changed my subs again ( had the cheapy ones, mtx 6000s', mtx 8000s((tooooo much sub for that box, since its so flimsy, gets muddy quick)) and now have polk momo 10's in the rear, and polk momo seperates in the doors. Sounds very good on my precision power amps. subs are getting 600watts rms, mids getting 75wrms.

Hope this helps
Brandon

Quick Reply: Anyone have an AMPLIFIED THUNDERFORM?