Best matierial for adapter plates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Best matierial for adapter plates?

I have some 6.5 coax speakers mounted in the door without plates, for the time being til I have access to my tools. Once I do, I'll be able to make some out of almost anything(lots of cutting tools) What would be the least resonant matierial to make them from? I've heard of MDF, and even thick plexiglass being used. Any thoughts?,,,,,98

Old 10-09-2001, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a very thin piece of 4x4 plywood. It works well for me right now, but you may want something better. Once I add my Focal's, I plan on using fiberglass or a thin aluminum sheet coated with vibration dampener.
Just a few small ideas for you!

Old 10-09-2001, 08:11 PM
pictures of mine

98, I used 1/2" melamine (MDF with a vinyl coating on the top and bottom). Here are a few pics:

You can view the whole process at: http://www.f150world.com/loknload/?album=1033

Hope this helps.

Lok

Old 10-09-2001, 08:41 PM
Thumbs up

Is the melamine something you can get easily? I've never heard of it really. Lok, did you find that the speaker is not in the optimum position on the drivers side? When I put mine in, the dr. side was firing into the side of the dash. I ended up moving it towards the back of the 5x7 hole so it would be out in the open. Thanks for the ideas, guys!! Keep them coming!,,,,98

Old 10-10-2001, 11:19 AM
Cool

I don't know how hard melamine is to find. My local builder's supply (way out here in BFE) keeps it in stock all the time. That's what I built my sub enclosure out of because I figured the coating would make it a bit more rigid and airtight. Then I braced the snot out of it inside. As far as my drivers side mid, I did have to play with it a little, but not much.

Lok

Old 10-10-2001, 12:46 PM
MDF will give you less vibration.. easy to get hardwhare store.
I have worked with plexi and it shatters and is super expensive.
Get thick plexi and don't count on cutting close to the edge or SNAP! gone. 50 bucks down the drain..
MDF or spruce. cheap and spend a couple bucks on sound deadner and it will work great...

Old 10-10-2001, 01:01 PM
Thumbs up

Good ideas, guess it will be MDF simply because melamine might be hard to find in Houston. I'll look around first though. I already have some sound deadener around the speakers, but I plan to do the whole door in a few weeks.,,,,,98

Quick Reply: Best matierial for adapter plates?