Install - Upgraded a new 2012 F150 - JBL, Infinity & Realm

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install - Upgraded a new 2012 F150 - JBL, Infinity & Realm

Thought I'd share this with with you guys. Might give you some ideas and answer some questions you may have.

Well one of my dealers goofed. They drove somewhere far to go get a dealer trade vehicle and had previously told the customer that it was equipped with the Sony system. When they came back with it they discovered that it does not. They contacted me to come up with something that would sound like the Sony so I created five different system designs and sent them to the customer. His choices were systems by Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony and JBL. I originally was going to have everything by JBL but my distributor was out of stock on some pieces and after talking with the customer we decided on switching to Infinity for the speakers and keeping the JBL amp due to the size. The Infinity Reference 5-channel amp is a couple inches larger than the JBL and with placement behind the seat I wanted to keep as small as I could.

The layout starts with the factory six disk radio with SYNC. It will go into the Cashe COE6 six channel line output convertor. This unit will allow us to drive the 5-channel JBL GTO-5EZ amp with the factory radio. It also is a live driver with a 9 volt output to really boost the signal to the amp. Up front it will be driving a set of the Infinity Reference Series 6030cs 6-1/2 components and a set of the 6832cf Reference Series 6x8 coaxials. Bass was originally going to be supplied by a Infinity Reference 1062w 10" subwoofer but upon delivery I discovered that the box was not deep enough to hold the monster so I had to go back to the drawing board. I decided to go with Realm's new 12" shallow subwoofer. In the end I think it was a much better idea.

I started on the truck at about 10:30 am and got done with it at about 8:30pm. It was soooo hot and muggy in the middle of the dealership parking lot. The temperature topped out at 101. We had a rain the night before and then it kept lightly sprinkling on me for the first half of the day. When the sun come out the humidity shot through the roof. I drank almost three gallons of water due to sweating it all out.

First off the truck. 2012 F-150 Super Crew

The system - You'll see later I had to change the sub out for a Realm 12" shallow sub due to the box not being deep enough for the Infinity Sub.

Factory door panel and A-pillar

Factory tweeter grille

New Infinity tweeter replacing the factory grille

New tweet in the a-pillar

factory 6x8

Cutting Boards are perfect for speaker adapters. Easy to cut and no worries about warping like wood can.

Nothing special. Just showing the rear door with the Infinity 6x8 mounted. The tweeter turns to direct it to you.

Although the Infinity GTO-5EZ 5-channel amplifier is designed to work with a factory radio I always like to use the Caché COE6 line output converter because it is a line driver as well. 9 volts of power into the amp inputs is quite a boost. No need to gain the amp at all! It also has a bass **** which the JBL amp does not come with. The JBL GTO-5EZ 5-channel amplifier supplies 75 watts to the door speakers and 500 watts to the subwoofer.

Really wanted to keep the speakers all Infinity but the Infinity Reference subwoofer was just too deep to fit in the box and was pretty much laying on the floor. So I had to change it out. I decided to use the new Realm LFT12-D4F 12" shallow mount subwoofer. Bigger speaker and it fits!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
THis is basically what I'm planning on doing. Any reasons why you went with that sub vs the other shallow mounts out there? MB Quart has a nice one I've been eyeing.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
I wasn't even aware of the MB Quart shallow. It looks nice and has good reviews from what I read however my local distributor only caries the Formula Series products from them.

I have five distributors within 30 minute driving range that I can get my pick of shallow subs from but everyone I called was out of them. First I was going to go with the Rockford P3 shallow but they were out. Same was for the Pioneer and Kenwood shallow. I almost went with a regular Kicker 10 inch CVT10 but decided on the Realm. They all hovered around the same pricing within $20 from each other. Another concern was needing it to be 2ohms or dual 4ohm voice coil and able to handle 500 watts.

I decided on the Realm shallow for a few factors. First was because the distributor had it in stock and they are only a 12 minute drive from my house. The main reason is because before my sales rep was my sales rep he previously worked for a local competing audio shop and he had first hand experience with the Realm 12 shallow sub. They started replacing the Memphis and Pioneer shallow subs with the Realm and customers were very happy with them. I figured what do i have to loose.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice install!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Apologize if I missed this, but what sub box is that, and what are the dimensions?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Realm LFT12-D4F

It has a mounting depth of 2.75 inches. Wattage is 250 RMS/500 peak. Recommended sealed enclosure is .07 cuft and vented 1.25 cuft.

Here's more info on it http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...yZolcdWhEj4xHw

Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
Realm LFT12-D4F

It has a mounting depth of 2.75 inches. Wattage is 250 RMS/500 peak. Recommended sealed enclosure is .07 cuft and vented 1.25 cuft.

I was referring to the box/enclosure not the actual sub... It looks like this was a small enclosure.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Sorry bout that. The single 10 inch enclosure is made by atrend. I cut it out to fit the 12. They do make a 12 inch version but I didn't wanna have to buy another box. so I screwed it together.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM
TK5
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
Realm LFT12-D4F

Wow! .07 cu ft seems really small!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by TK5
Wow! .07 cu ft seems really small!
It's small but that's the whole point of making the shallow woofer. They have designed it to work in and take advantage of the smallest of airspace. If you have room for a deeper sub then by all means I recommend going with something that is a more traditional subwoofer but when fitting under a seat that is always a battle.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 AM
He was commenting on your typo that misplaced the decimal. You meant 0.7cf sealed, which actually isn't all that small.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Ha. I didn't notice that. Yeah. .07 would be crazy...lol

Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM
TK5
:d:d:d

Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Cool idea with the cutting board! I'll be using that on future installs.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by ST Grey
Cool idea with the cutting board! I'll be using that on future installs.
At $2.28 each it's a whole lot easier to have these stored on my truck instead of picking up wood somewhere. I do this stuff on the go. That entire audio system was installed in the parking lot of the Ford dealership while it was 102 degrees outside. I just love having sweaty arms and plastic shreds from the Dremel and jig saw on me...lol

Quick Reply: Install - Upgraded a new 2012 F150 - JBL, Infinity & Realm