97-03 Reg. Cab Enclosures...pics and specs wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
97-03 Reg. Cab Enclosures...pics and specs wanted!

Howdy fellers, long time no talky

Anywho Im looking for some pics and specs on enclosures for the 97-03 body style regular cabs, as you can tell by the subject

The black regular cab in the sig is long gone (replaced with my new 'Hoe) however my 97 regular cab (known as the Silver Bullet for its warp speed 4.2 V6 power) is still rockin, not to mention I have all the equipment listed in my sig plus a boatload more taking up space around the house.

The Bullet is rolling with a modest setup that is just a notch above the stock equipment....an old Pioneer CD player I picked up off a bud for 30 bucks, a set of RE RE components, and a Rockford Fosgate Prime series amplifier throwing 50 watts at each side. I dont know chit about the amplifier except it was cheaper than hell and it worked for what I needed I put it all in for less than 100 bucks.

Plans thus far are to install the Eclipse 8053 HU, run the XXK 4050 bridged in 2 channel mode to the Profi Vanadium mids (200wrms per mid), run an XXK2100 (which I have sitting in some closet) to a set of undecided tweets (50wrms per channel), and run the XXK1500 on an undecided pair of 10s or perhaps 8s to save space.

The truck is 30 miles away right now (been using it as a loaner for family while I work on their vehicles ) so I dont have any measurments or even a visual to go off of, just wondering what some of you guys have done with dual 8 or 10 inch setups in these trucks. I have an idea or three in my head, just looking at some ideas you guys have had.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because of the way the back wall and interior plastics are shaped, you really don't have a ton of room.

With my 02 reg cab I wanted a box that allowed me to move the seat all the way back.

Here are some ruff estimates on my box - W=42" H=13" TopDepth=5" BottomDepth=8"

Keep us posted on what you come up with.

Last edited by ErikShockey; 01-23-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah Im worried about the space. Might have to ditch the 3 amp idea and go with a nice 5 or 6 channel, or bring it down to a more powerfull 4 channel so I can ditch one amp.

Ive thought about all the plastic back there and working around it and what not. Right now I have the 'pocket' on the back wall ripped off and an amp board mounted between the plastic that runs all along the bottom of the pack windown and the storage thingy on the floor......Thinking they are both going to get ditched for a single large peice of MDF on the back wall.....from the bottom of the window all the way to the floor, and from the left and right plastic trim running from the roof to the floor on the B pillar. Hoping I can do something like that, hard to tell without the truck here.

What happened to these forums, where'd everyone go? 3 or so years ago this thread would have been filled with ideas/bs/dreams/etc etc

Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Cut a hole in the back of your cab and through the bed. Install a flexible gasket to seal the gap, and put the subs in the bed... That's dreaming for me.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Yeah Im worried about the space. Might have to ditch the 3 amp idea and go with a nice 5 or 6 channel, or bring it down to a more powerfull 4 channel so I can ditch one amp.

Ive thought about all the plastic back there and working around it and what not. Right now I have the 'pocket' on the back wall ripped off and an amp board mounted between the plastic that runs all along the bottom of the pack windown and the storage thingy on the floor......Thinking they are both going to get ditched for a single large peice of MDF on the back wall.....from the bottom of the window all the way to the floor, and from the left and right plastic trim running from the roof to the floor on the B pillar. Hoping I can do something like that, hard to tell without the truck here.
Yeah you might want to goto one amp if you can. I'm running the Alpine PDX-F4 and PDX-M12. They are small amps and stack together, don't take up much room at all.

Some of the newer 4, 5 and 6 channel amps are pretty stout, really just depends how much power you need for the sub/s.

Originally Posted by Bartak1
What happened to these forums, where'd everyone go? 3 or so years ago this thread would have been filled with ideas/bs/dreams/etc etc
I know what you mean about no one posting anymore. I joined in 2004, look how low my post count is. It's not because I was never on here, it's because there were so many people posting, I spent all my time reading/learning.

Originally Posted by AndersonS
Cut a hole in the back of your cab and through the bed. Install a flexible gasket to seal the gap, and put the subs in the bed... That's dreaming for me.
I have always wanted to do this, but I'm afraid of cutting holes in my truck lol. I have a nice camper shell and could take my back window out and do the same thing. I asked about it at a local shop and they told me the gaskets don't hold up very long before leaking.

Last edited by ErikShockey; 01-24-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 AM
Probox makes a box for these trucks that is built around the back wall's shape.

Heres a pic, could give you some ideas.

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...110L-750_3.jpg

Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by ErikShockey
Yeah you might want to goto one amp if you can. I'm running the Alpine PDX-F4 and PDX-M12. They are small amps and stack together, don't take up much room at all.

Some of the newer 4, 5 and 6 channel amps are pretty stout, really just depends how much power you need for the sub/s.

I know what you mean about no one posting anymore. I joined in 2004, look how low my post count is. It's not because I was never on here, it's because there were so many people posting, I spent all my time reading/learning.

I have always wanted to do this, but I'm afraid of cutting holes in my truck lol. I have a nice camper shell and could take my back window out and do the same thing. I asked about it at a local shop and they told me the gaskets don't hold up very long before leaking.
How do you like that PDX-M12? I'm just about to buy one.

Trending Topics

Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
How do you like that PDX-M12? I'm just about to buy one.
It's a pretty good amp, really simple and small. I wish it had more options, all it has is gain and the LPF, but thats really all you need. I got it cheap from a buddy with two PDX-F4's.

I did like my JL 1000/1v2 more though. I think the JL had more output, but it was twice the size. One big advantage the M12 has over the JL is power usage. My voltage would drop with the JL, but stays pretty stable with the M12.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread OP...

Yea, I need a nice amp to drive 2 Type R's, but I'll be buying it new, so I hope it's worth it... Not to mention it has the Alpine logo on it.
_____

As for the regular cabs, a simple wedge-shaped box should fit the bill. A friend of mine had 2 crappy Memphis 10's in his '97 regular cab. Don't know if the seat slid all the way back, but I'm 6' and had plenty of legroom. You can modify the back of the box to get the subs to sit deeper in the face, get shallow subs, etc... Small amps fit under the seat, I guess.

As for the forum slowing a bit, I was really hoping someone would remember the dimensions for their boxes, but alas I was not spoon fed. But, IMHO measuring out a box was a lot less time consuming than I thought.

Quick Reply: 97-03 Reg. Cab Enclosures...pics and specs wanted!