New Speakers & amp upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Speakers & amp upgrade

I'm totally new to this board, and I'm looking for a little information on my proposed speaker and amp upgrade. I just purchased a 2011 F150XLT, its equipped with the regular Sync system, although I like the features of the sync system the sound is horrible. I've purchased JL Audio C5-570X speakers for the front and back, I went with these because they seem to provide one of the lowest freqeuncy response at 48 Hz compared to other models that were in the 50's and 60's HZ range. I went this route because I don't want to install a sub this time. I'm going to power these puppies with a JL Audio 300/4 amp, this should be sufficent power.

Questions: I hear that the OEM HU will automatically cut down on the bass when the volume is turned up, can anyone confirm this? I also see some are installing sound processors, is this to cure the previously mentioned OEM issue? Or is this to enhance the sound, what exactly does a processor do that the controls on the back of tha amp doesn't?

Last edited by Wlkn Tal; 02-26-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: To clarify my question
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 PM
I would recommend some type of OEM integration unit and not just a LOC. AudioControl LC6/8i, Massonix MX-1, MX5, JL Cleansweep, JBL MS8 "high dollar", and others.

Do a google search and see which one would suit your needs. I personally use an LC6i and it works really well.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Langlowe, thanks for the response, Ok, what does LOC stand for? I did see that the Massonix MX-1 like the Clean sweep have an alternate volume control. Can you explain what these processors do, and what they do that's diffrent from the controls on my amplifier? The JL 300/4v2 amp has a Freq range, filter slope,filter freq and filter mode switch/adjstments for both the front and back speakers. A local stereo shop told me that I didn't need a processor. The proccessors seem to have there own volume control is that soley for the sub or is it a master volume persay. Also is the processor mainly need if I were going to install a sub? It's possible I could add one down the road. The MX-1 one is only 80$ so it would break the bank, but in these tough times I don't want to spend the money for little or no gain. Thanks again for your help

Last edited by Wlkn Tal; 02-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:41 AM
loc is a line out converter. it is for adding line outs for amp installs from standard wire signals.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Thumbs up

OK, I did some research and found that the processors flaten out any factory presettings that help to enhance the cheap OEM speakers. If from what I'm reading is true, the aftermarket speakers will not live up to there potential because of this, especially if I go with a sub, so I guess I'll take a leap of faith and go with a processor instead of a LOC. I still need a little input on the volume control that somes with these things and what they are used for and if they effect my steering wheel or HU controls.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM
For the LC6i it has gain controls for each set of channels. This is what you adjust to match the output of the HU. Do a search on setting gains to get a better understanding. Gain is not a volume control.

Basically you set the amp gains all the way down and then do all adjustments on the LC6i. Once you get it set correctly you adjust volume from the HU.

Quick Reply: New Speakers & amp upgrade