Sub not working...How to test?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub not working...How to test?

So just purchased an 2006 KR on Monday and it appears the sub is not working. Not sure if the amp is not getting any power, if the amp is just blown, or if it's the actual sub itself. I've already checked the subwoofer fuse under the dash and it's fine. I've been told there is a setting on the stereo to turn the sub on/off but I don't see anything in the menu for that. Just wondering what I need to do to go about testing to find out where the problem is....the sub, amp, or wiring?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I would do is to check to make sure the sub is plugged to the harness. Next, I'd take out the radio to verify that you have an audiophile head unit. The audiophile head unit will have three plugs in the back of the radio, not including antenna(s), and that all plugs are connected. Beyond that, I'd see if the amp is getting voltage.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 AM
The amp should also have its own fuse i believe...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by BigMoosie
So just purchased an 2006 KR on Monday and it appears the sub is not working. Not sure if the amp is not getting any power, if the amp is just blown, or if it's the actual sub itself. I've already checked the subwoofer fuse under the dash and it's fine. I've been told there is a setting on the stereo to turn the sub on/off but I don't see anything in the menu for that. Just wondering what I need to do to go about testing to find out where the problem is....the sub, amp, or wiring?
Is everything stock?

Brad

Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With radio turned on-Try depressing & holding buttons 4 & 6 on the radio to do a self-test 'speaker walk-around". It should sequence from LF/RF/LR/RR then subwoofer and sound will shift as the signal changes location. There will also be a message showing which is 'on' as it does this. If sub is not present or disconnected it will say no subwoofer.

Older Ford radios used buttons 3&6. If in doubt try 3-5 3-6 & 4-6 --one of these will work. doesn't matter what model Ford truck/car.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by dognutz1
With radio turned on-Try depressing & holding buttons 4 & 6 on the radio to do a self-test 'speaker walk-around". It should sequence from LF/RF/LR/RR then subwoofer and sound will shift as the signal changes location. There will also be a message showing which is 'on' as it does this. If sub is not present or disconnected it will say no subwoofer.

Older Ford radios used buttons 3&6. If in doubt try 3-5 3-6 & 4-6 --one of these will work. doesn't matter what model Ford truck/car.
Thanks! Gave that a try this morning on the way into work. When it got to the subwoofer there was no sound so I'm guessing it's either blown or not getting any power. What would your next step be to figure out the problem?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by BigMoosie
Thanks! Gave that a try this morning on the way into work. When it got to the subwoofer there was no sound so I'm guessing it's either blown or not getting any power. What would your next step be to figure out the problem?
Well my first step would be to check for power at the amp coming from the battery. Get a test light or a multimeter and check right where the power cable plugs into the amp. Make sure you have a good connection. I believe you should be getting anywhere from 12-14 volts. Any less then that could cause the amp to go into a protect.

Next make sure your all your grounds are good. This can be accomplished with a test light as well.

Make sure the remote wire for your amp is wired correctly. It needs to be hooked to a wire that is hot when the key is on. If this is not done the amp will not power on and of course your subs wouldn't work.

Open up your box and check all the connection on your sub and all the way back to the amp. CHECK ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS!! Should be a fuse on the amp. A fuse under the hood inline with your amp + cable. Also check the RCA going from the head unit to the amp.

And as far as checking the sub itself i belive you can take a 9v battery and hook up the + - from the sub quickly. If the sub works it should pop out.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

To chuck the sub its self, you can use a battery.

I used to use a AA battery to cheak subs. All you need to do is put the + and - of the sub wires to the + and - of the battery, the sub should move.

Now reverse the battery and the sub should move the other direction.

one way the sub should push "out" and the other it will pull
in"

This is only if you want to check the sub its self, and have access to the sub wires. easily.

Quick Reply: Sub not working...How to test?