Bed System Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed System Build

So i have a plan for the next mod to the truck. Well idea atleast that i need some help with.

I am wanting to install a pair of Marine Quality speakers and a Marine Quality subwoofer in the bed of the truck. Also with a wired remote. All this for tailgating to have a system outside in the bed to listen to. I tailgate alot i have season football tickets, go to hockey and baseball games, and alot of concerts.

I am wanting to install these three audio parts:
REMOTE: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130CDMR....html?tp=13308

SPEAKERS: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB65...1.html?tp=3384

SUBWOOFERS: Not sure which one i need or want
A) 12" http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB12...VC.html?tp=972

B) 12" http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...40.html?tp=972

C) 12" http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061CVR...24.html?tp=972

D) 10" http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...40.html?tp=972

Now this is where i need help.
1) Should i go with components, or just buy a pair of speakers since they wont be used constantly so components may not be worth the price.

2) which subwoofer

3) i currently have a JBL GTO1201 amp powering my 2 12" AudioMobile MASS2012 subs, and a Elemental Designs NINe.2 Amp powering my Polk MM6500's in the cab. Can i wire my bed speakers and sub up to these amps still? Or do i need another amp? I plan to install a switch to turn off the cab speakers and sub and also turn on the bed audio equipment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick

Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Huge waste of money IMO. Get a boombox and put it on the tailgate. Or what I do for tailgating: just open the doors and let the powerful interior system tear it up.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree with msall i use my bed a good amount, instead what i did i install marine speakers outside the truck, so far i have 4 in the grille, and i want 4 more under my bed...all on a switch. i only use the speakers when im washin the truck, or bbq and want music, or hanging out over at my freinds house, all i did was install another 4 channel and get speakers, IMO ur better off with just speakers, and if u want bass, just roll the windows down, as far as controllers, thr truck aint too far to just get inside fumble some cds or even plug the ipod in.....when doin outside speakers under the ruck be strategic of placement and runnin wires, u do not want them to get hot!!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 PM
see i use my bed but not enough to where taking some space up wont be too much taken away.

Currently i have a toolbox in the bed and i still have plenty of room in my bed. So im thinking of either turning the toolbox into the enclosure for the speakers and sub or taking the toolbox out and making a smaller weatherproof enclosure in place of it.

the switch will be located in the bed also. So therefore i wont be losing any space in my bed. And with my and tailgating and all that, i like locking my truck and usually parked pretty close to cars so i dont have to constatly go open a door and hop in and out slowly and carefully i can control everything from the bed right there.

So i think ima jsut go with speakers instead of components.

What would be a good amp to power a single sub, and a pair, possibly two pairs of speakers?

Because if i do just speakers and a sub of my choice those togehter will only cost me 225 if i get 2 pairs of these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB65...1.html?tp=3384 and this sub http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB12...40.html?tp=972

then a amp

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Huge waste of money IMO. Get a boombox and put it on the tailgate. Or what I do for tailgating: just open the doors and let the powerful interior system tear it up.
It's hard to find a good boombox these days.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 PM

am/fm cd, aux input and remote

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
that thign is pretty legit...but i really wanna do this idea. i think its more original and something custom

Old 05-28-2010, 04:06 AM

If you want sound out of your bed, don't bother with subs. Since they will be firing out in the open, you'll need TONS of power with LOTS of subs to achieve desired bass. I've put systems in boats and open watercrafts don't give great bass unless there's a cabin somewhere to sit in. I put 2 pairs of Kicker 12L5s in a boat with about 2000Wrms power (two Alpine MRP-M1000 amps) and the only time any of us were impressed in the shop was when we were in the bathrooms or near a wall but in the open, it as no more impressive than the 10" woofer in my buddy's Frontier with a 400W amp. You're far better off getting a good low-frequency setup in the cab where it can be used inside and out. There's no harm in putting mids and highs in your bed so long as you can protect them from the elements.

However, if you are intent on this idea, then power to you! I will say this though, go with the Kickers. I'm personally not a fan of Polk Audio, but that doesn't mean they are bad. Also, don't do components. If you're doing an open sound stage, then just tune your system properly. You can hook up your new equipment to your current amplifiers AS LONG AS you are within the acceptable impedance loads of your amplifiers. Basically, you're better off going with new amplifiers especially since you're wanting to use them in an open environment.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 AM
You forgot the extra battery(ies). Your not going to run a system long for 3hrs at a game without em.

Youd have to be willing to give up just as much room as your toolbox to achieve this.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im also planning to do something smiler that, basically i was thinking of throwing a two Bazooka's subs in the bed and have a remote to switch them just when i wanted to,
Honestly, im not a hardcore audio system junkie so only basic stuff is good for me, im planing to install a tool box 1st and then take care of the audio...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:55 PM

You are going this route, why dont you take that tool box and put a completely independent sytem in it. HU, 5 channel amp, 4 coax speakers a 10" sub, isolator and battery. Secure the tool box. Then it can be customized and all local and controlled in one spot. Then it can be closed and locked when not in use. Might sound crazy, that seems like the best solution to me. If you add an amp off the cab hu, then you would toggle switch the remote to turn the bed amp on, have to split the rcas from your cab setup in order to send signal to run it all off the cab system. Or, delete your rear fill and toggle switch or fade those , relocate em to the bed and turn em on as necessary. What were your ideas. Those are mine. It will be a pita to run it off the existing amps you have. I would forget that.

Last edited by JJDH; 05-28-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by fine_style150
i agree with msall i use my bed a good amount, instead what i did i install marine speakers outside the truck, so far i have 4 in the grille, and i want 4 more under my bed...all on a switch. i only use the speakers when im washin the truck, or bbq and want music, or hanging out over at my freinds house, all i did was install another 4 channel and get speakers, IMO ur better off with just speakers, and if u want bass, just roll the windows down, as far as controllers, thr truck aint too far to just get inside fumble some cds or even plug the ipod in.....when doin outside speakers under the ruck be strategic of placement and runnin wires, u do not want them to get hot!!
Got any pics of those speakers. I want to see how you installed them.

Quick Reply: Bed System Build