Is JL CleanSweep necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is JL CleanSweep necessary?

Im getting ready to upgrade my stock sony sub on my 2010 with a JL13TW5 Stealthbox. My question is, as many of you know, when you turn up the volume on the stock system, the sub "bottoms out" or is otherwise limited by the head unit(I assume). When I replace the sub and amp, will I have the same problem? Is the JL CleanSweep, or other similar devices necessary? Thanks in advance your input.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM integral devices are not needed, usually they are a replacement for LOC's for all channels, adding a subwoofer output, controls for your subwoofer (depending on the model of integral unit), AUX inputs, and voltage boosters.

That "popping" sound is usually clipping, or some kind of fault in tuning. I have an MTX amp and a flat Pioneer in my girlfriend's 08 Sport Trac with a stock HU, and it sounds great! I lowered the bass on the HU (so when she turns her system up you don't hear clipping coming from the door speakers) and tuned accordingly by ear since I don't have a scope, turning the amp to LP only, setting my gain, and setting my crossover.

If your stuff is tuned properly, you *shouldn't* have that problem. One thing though, if you do decide to tune by ear, make sure your amplifier is matched to your subwoofer in terms of power, or runs more power than what your sub is rated for. Reason being is because when you tune by ear, you are listening for clipping. The only clipping you can hear that is an immediate "no-no" is distortion from the subwoofer. Distortion from the amp can be heard but only AFTER the signal is clipped, so a 300Wrms amp powering a 1000Wrms sub would be hard to hear for clipping since the amp will clip long before you actually hear it. If your amp runs less than your sub's rated power, have it tuned with a scope!

But whatever your decision be, good luck to you! Post pictures and let us know your outcome!

Quick Reply: Is JL CleanSweep necessary?