Grille Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grille Speakers

I keep seeing people and hearing people with it n hopefully i woudl be the only expedition with it i know i need the radio shack speaker but i dont know if i should get the 100 watt one or the 50 watt one n how do i install it with the toggle switch

Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Are you talking about a PA (microphone) system or music?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I believe he is referring to a speaker placed in the grill that plays music...I have a rough idea of how to accomplish it, but I don't know any details on it and I'd be willing to bet no one here is going to very receptive to the idea.

If you really want to do it, I would suggest talking to someone at a local stereo shop.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't see the grill being a good mounting spot for the longevity of the speakers unless you don't go over 10 mph. As for getting sound outside the truck, there are a lot of options, just depends on how good you want it to sound and how deep your pockets are.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Something tells me a lot of duct tape and zip ties are in the future for this build.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM
its very easy. all you do is mount the PA speaker from radio shack, 50 watts is very loud and 100 would obiviously be twice as much but i dont know where you could mount that cause its huge! and also your headunit wont be able to power that to its potential anyway unless you have a 4 channel amp...
after you mount it, just run a speaker wire into your dash and connect it to one of the speaker outputs on your radio(white,gray,green,purple) in the correct polarity. with a toggle switch just connect it on either +,- so the switch opens or closes the circuit.
if you have questions just ask.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
How do those sound for music? The one I had when I was in high school sounded like crap as just a PA.

Not a huge deal, but I wouldn't run that too long too loud with a 2 ohm load on your hu like that.

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank you imma hook it up tomorrow n let u kno how it goes

Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

PA speakers sound like your door speakers unless you buy a horn, then they sound really crappy. Personally I thought about installing a PA speaker for my CB radio, but I know I'd get in too much trouble yelling at people to use their turning signals before they cut me off.

Anywho, it's actually quite easy to do. If you get an amplified unit, make sure you get signal to it from your radio, either via RCA-to-3.5mm or whatever the design of the PA calls for, then wire a switch for it's power. If you get a non-amplified unit, you will need an amplifier for it, in which you would need to install your switch either in line with the speaker outputs or the power wire for the amplifier. Installation in an Expo would probably be best under the hood since most PA speakers are pretty weatherproof, heat resistant, and there are lots of mounting options there.

As for power, 50W is quite loud, 100W is twice as loud (as anix11 stated). If you're gonna put music outside your cab, you're obviously doing it for attention or for parties. In that case, go 100 watt. Go big or go home, right? LOL. Good luck on your mod and keep us informed!

Quick Reply: Grille Speakers