SI BM mkIII power suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SI BM mkIII power suggestions...

Looking at moving to a pair of the new SI BM mkIII 12s in my supercrew. I see the rated power per sub is 450w, but whats everyone using in real world applications? I am putting the subs in the Supercrewsound.com Dual 12 UTS box for the 01-03 Supercrew. Its got 1.0 cu ft of space to work with. I was fixing to pull the trigger on a pair of JL Slash v2 amps - a 300/4 and a 500/1 to replace my current JBL amps, but it seems that 500/1 is going to be a bit weak for a pair of these.

Would I be better off sticking with a single 12 in that same box? Give the woofer more airspace and run it on the JL 500/1? I've also got an Elemental NINe.2x I could use, but I need to send it in for warranty work first. It would give me 600w instead of the 500w of the JL amp.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The subs need .5 cu ft each. They are pretty efficient so with the JL 500 they will be fine. Those amps are underrated, I'm sure each sub will see nearly 300 watts with that amp which is plenty.

I'm building my box tomorrow for my 2 BMs, I have a Cadence iA7 amp to power them. Although its easily stable at 1 ohm, I'm going to try them at 4 ohm first which is ~500 watts total. I'll let you know how that is.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Keep me updated. I had left my truck alone for the longest - it only gets driven on the weekends now anyway. Got rid of my Clarion touchscreen last week and replaced it with an Alpine CDA-105 (always liked the sound of my old Alpine deck better (CDA-9835), but it burned in a truck fire and I replaced it with the Clarion screen. I am looking at dumping the CDA-105 for the CDA-117 soonish (probably in May).

I will probably order the amps in the next couple of weeks and get a new amp board cut/installed on the back wall before proceeding with the subs. I am most likely going to buy a whole new box with cutouts for the 12s rather than try to mod my existing box that has dual 10" cutouts.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Im in the process also of building my box, but I'm going to be powering a pair of them off a Sundown SAZ-1000D. The amp puts out 1K watts at 1 ohm, so you plenty for these subs. Will be posting a thread once i finish the install. Also you know that SI ran out of the pre-order subs but they should be doing another prebatch that they are saying will arrive in another 2-3 months.

Last edited by cgndhhh; 03-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I wasn't aware they had run out already - guess I will have plenty of time to get the amps and new wiring in place. I am going to totally redo my amp rack on the back wall and most likely run a new main power lead - mine terminates at a distro block in the rear cab corner behind some trim and its a real pain in the tail to work with. I am going to run a new main feed from the battery and have the distros mounted on the rack.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
The BM mkIII's don't need a lot of power to perform well. They can handle a lot of power, but power handling isn't a power requirement. I've got my single mkIII in 0.5 ft^3 sealed running off of 75 watts and it performs great especially considering that it's only firing through three 1" holes to get into the cab.

Quick Reply: SI BM mkIII power suggestions...