Going all out?...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going all out?...

Well if you've perused the classifieds lately you've seen that I have decided to sell my current sub setup.

Why? It sounded great, but I want MORE.

Here's what I'm thinking.

The dual 12" box from Supercrew sound with the extra 5/8" mounting depth and tan carpet to match my interior, the LMI seat lift, and 2 12" Kicker CVX's.

I have a Kenwood KAC9104-D pushing my current setup, but it wouldn't be enough for the CVX's. Would there be any harm in simply buying another 9104-D and letting one push each sub? The subs are 750 RMS/1500 Max each and the amps are 900 RMS/1800 Max each.

Now, once I go that far, how is the stock electrical system going to react? I have an Optima Red-Top, thats the only upgrade so far. The headlights can dim VERY noticeably on very sudden and hard hitting beats when going down the highway with just the one 9104-D and my two Infinity 10's I have now.

Also, would the one 4 AWG wire I have coming from the battery be ok to run into a distribution block to send a 4 AWG wire to each amp? Or would I need to run a larger gauge wire from the battery to the distribution block?

Sorry for all the questions, I've installed many many setups but never dealt with the power consumption I'm thinking about with this one.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
you may want to consider a HO alt for what your doing. Definitely should upgrade the grounds by doing a big three.

Youll deffinitly need a bigger wire, or just run a second run of 4 gauge.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
If you wouldn't mind, enlighten me on the big three? I've seen that mentioned but I am not sure what it is.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Why thank you sir. Very informative, looks really easy and cheap to do also.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you are going to go through all that effort and lift the seat and all, why even bother with Kickers? Sure they get stoopid loud but they sound very sloppy.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Only because I've heard them, for myself, with my own ears. I don't doubt there are better speakers for the money out there (which actually $300 for a pair new seems pretty darn good to me).

I've heard Kicker, JL, MTX, Audiobahn, Pioneer, Infinity, Memphis and some of the cheaper brands, and for sound quality and responsiveness, I honestly can't recommend anything other than the Infinity's that I've had. But for stoopid loud, like ya said haha, Kicker. And they still sound good to me, just not as high quality as the Infinity's. Everyone says JL, and their price tags are rediculous, but after hearing both in my truck or similar trucks, I would prefer Kicker and Infinity over them.

Now, I'm sure some SI's or ID's sound great...but I haven't heard them myself. I know I can be happy with the Kickers, and don't want to drop the money on something that I haven't heard, to be disappointed, as I have had happen many times.

I'm basically just tired of trying out so many different subs really.

The Infinity Kappa's I am selling perform amazingly for a 10, you wouldn't believe how low they can get, especially at 4 3/4" mounting depth.

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Only because I've heard them, for myself, with my own ears. I don't doubt there are better speakers for the money out there (which actually $300 for a pair new seems pretty darn good to me).

I've heard Kicker, JL, MTX, Audiobahn, Pioneer, Infinity, Memphis and some of the cheaper brands, and for sound quality and responsiveness, I honestly can't recommend anything other than the Infinity's that I've had. But for stoopid loud, like ya said haha, Kicker. And they still sound good to me, just not as high quality as the Infinity's. Everyone says JL, and their price tags are rediculous, but after hearing both in my truck or similar trucks, I would prefer Kicker and Infinity over them.

Now, I'm sure some SI's or ID's sound great...but I haven't heard them myself. I know I can be happy with the Kickers, and don't want to drop the money on something that I haven't heard, to be disappointed, as I have had happen many times.

I'm basically just tired of trying out so many different subs really.

The Infinity Kappa's I am selling perform amazingly for a 10, you wouldn't believe how low they can get, especially at 4 3/4" mounting depth.
Hey that is a great response. The reason I posted what I did is just because I thought you might just be buying without trying (like so many here do). I just didn't want you to be disappointed when it wasn't what you maybe anticipated. But if you've heard them already and can compare to others first hand and you like them best, then hell you're way ahead of the game.

Good luck with your system!

PS: I can believe you on 10s being able to drop low. My Koda 10s are only 4.75" deep also and they play nearly flat down to 20Hz.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks, it's always scary changing up every thing, ya never really know what you're gonna get when dealing with these under the seat setups, especially if you haven't heard the exact setup in person...but if I didn't I'd get bored with the truck haha

Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
My Koda 10s are only 4.75" deep also and they play nearly flat down to 20Hz.
eh hem... wink wink, "sell them to me"...

Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Why thank you sir. Very informative, looks really easy and cheap to do also.
Yep. I actually got the stuff in to do it the other day. Going to work on it tonight (soldering ring terminals to cables, etc) and install it tomorrow afternoon.

Will be writing a how-to since a lot of people ask questions about it.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I always think that people are gonna think I'm flashing my lights at them some nights on darker roads when some songs play, hopefully this will remedy that.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 PM

If you're still planning on the Big 3, I've put the how-to in the "Other Audio" section. Bluejay also copied it to the how-to/articles section.

Quick Reply: Going all out?...