Making my sub box deeper

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making my sub box deeper

Ok so I have my Alpine M1000 installed. Now I want to order me up some subs! I'm pretty set on the JL w3v310's. They have the perfect power requirements as well as my box is big enough. But my problem is is that I need another 1/2 inch of mounting depth. I dont have the funds to buy a fox box, but I do have some 3/4 inch MDF. My question is can I cut around the back of the box where the magnet would hit enough to where there is room for the magnet to go through the hole but not out of the box. Then screw a peice of mdf over the hole to reseal the box up then of course re silicon it and carpet. Does this make any sense to anybody? I just want to make sure it isnt going to like ruin the sound of the box or something like that. Thanks, Brent.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah you can sure do that, instead of using mdf what about using cardboard and hitting it heavy with fiberglass, so u have more clearance?

also you can lightly stuff the box with some polyfill...should be a clean install post some pics up

Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I would, but I dont have any experience in fiberglass nor do I have the supplies to do it. I just think that going this route would be alot easier and get what I need done. -Brent.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM
just cut a hole where the magnet would go so clear it, and use a .25 (1/4) MDF and it will be fine, its such a small area. Makes sure to use wood glue and some screws and make sure its sealed up.. Ive done this countless times with no issue.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.slakin.net/SubBox/Sub&Ring01.jpg

couldnt you do that to raise the sub out a little bit?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm sure you could, but it would then make it closer to the floor and would probably hurt the sub i'm pretty sure. I think i'm just gonna go ahead and go this route since its alot cheaper than a whole new box!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by farmboybrent
Ok so I have my Alpine M1000 installed. Now I want to order me up some subs! I'm pretty set on the JL w3v310's. They have the perfect power requirements as well as my box is big enough. But my problem is is that I need another 1/2 inch of mounting depth. I dont have the funds to buy a fox box, but I do have some 3/4 inch MDF. My question is can I cut around the back of the box where the magnet would hit enough to where there is room for the magnet to go through the hole but not out of the box. Then screw a peice of mdf over the hole to reseal the box up then of course re silicon it and carpet. Does this make any sense to anybody? I just want to make sure it isnt going to like ruin the sound of the box or something like that. Thanks, Brent.
Yes you can. I actually had to do the same to my box. I put to much angle on the front board, causing the depth to decrease. So I add space on top of magnet. One suggestion, make the cutout larger than needed for extra air flow around the end pole and magnet. I made my holes 5x8. Actually, if you can add maybe a 5 inch strip across entire box, it would add a tiny bit of air space about 0.113. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Making my sub box deeper