Floor mounted sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor mounted sub

I just bought a Alpine SWR-1242D (12 inch dual voice coil 4 ohm type R rated at 500rms)Woofer, along with a Alpine 1-Channel Amplifier 500 watts rms amp. Originally i was going to build a box that acted sort of like an arm rest for the rear passengers, then i did some research and realised that if i wanted to get the most out of my investment i would have to have the box bolted right to the frame of the truck. I dont want to go throught the trouble of building the under seat box and buying the shallow mount subs...so i thought what if i build a custom box that i could bolt to the floor in between the two rear passengers with the sub facing up. i know that it would turn my truck from a 5 seater to a 4 seater and that it would block the 12v outlet and the heat ducts. but besides that are there any other disadvantages? like should you not mount your sub facing up? What can i use to mount the sub to the floor? Is it worth doing for sound quality or is just strapping it in the center seat position good enough? If you guys got input id like to hear it.

Thanks

Last edited by Eckwitte; 02-14-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eckwitte
I just bought a Alpine SWR-1242D (12 inch dual voice coil 4 ohm type R rated at 500rms)Woofer, along with a Alpine 1-Channel Amplifier 500 watts rms amp. Originally i was going to build a box that acted sort of like an arm rest for the rear passengers, then i did some research and realised that if i wanted to get the most out of my investment i would have to have the box bolted right to the frame of the truck. I dont want to go throught the trouble of building the under seat box and buying the shallow mount subs...so i thought what if i build a custom box that i could bolt to the floor in between the two rear passengers with the sub facing up. i know that it would turn my truck from a 5 seater to a 4 seater and that it would block the 12v outlet and the heat ducts. but besides that are there any other disadvantages? like should you not mount your sub facing up? What can i use to mount the sub to the floor? Is it worth doing for sound quality or is just strapping it in the center seat position good enough? If you guys got input id like to hear it.

Thanks
what is the sub mounting depth? I would do a seat lift before giving up the 5th seating position.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
like 8 inches. lifting the seat seems like a lot of trouble...i dont mind losing the 5 seat.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
some pictures and details (i have already bought these)

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...f5472cfa62en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...43b6cd88e6en02

I am thinking of buying the cheap clarion double din head unit

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...b35e1cf383en02

It doesn't have a usb input but it does have an av input and i heard good things about clarion head units in terms of sound quality

Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like 8 inches. lifting the seat seems like a lot of trouble...i dont mind losing the 5 seat.
More of a cost issue, than trouble. They are $150. I think all you have to do is unbolt 6 bolts, slide in spacer, and rebolt.

Then again, some people have posted really cool looking center boxes.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm looking to do something similar with a single sub but I will plan on keeping the center jumpseat in my front. Not sure how... but I'm gonna figure out the box design and see if I can get it done this summer.

Let us know how you like he Clarion. I bought that one too and I'll be installing it in a few days when I get back, should be fun.

Last edited by kudzu35; 02-15-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I am doing 2 shallow BM MKIII's under my seat I just couldnt fathom losing a seat for a speaker but to each their own. I think someone was actually selling a box like the one you are looking to make...it actually looked good.

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey Ec,

Check out my post https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...r-console.html

I did cut up my back seat and bench and fired 2 12"s down and back, my subs took an .88 cu/ft sealed box and through talking with a couple local audio shops and Polk, they suggested I downfire for the best sound. You can upfire but it'll be more for looks than SQ. Just my two cents...

Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
That thing is sweet looking. You should make those and sell em.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM
I was going to pick up the Clarion unit today but future shop wasn't open (family day in ontario).

Yeah your set up looks good, i just don't have the time to go all out. Ill probably sink in a good 10 hours on what i want to do alone. building the box won't be all that hard but i think making the carpet look good will be tough...

Anyone know where to buy the black carpet that covers boxes? I'm trying to get all this done before friday, going Ice fishing with the boys!

When the install is done I will post pictures

Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Ive actually gone to the walmart auto section and picked up rolls of carpet. Its cheap and comes in black and grey. Normally kept with the floor mats.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by PorkCereal
Ive actually gone to the walmart auto section and picked up rolls of carpet. Its cheap and comes in black and grey. Normally kept with the floor mats.
I'm gonna have to check the Wally's here... I last picked some up from a car audio shop and it was a little spendy.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I was going to pick up the Clarion unit today but future shop wasn't open (family day in ontario).

Yeah your set up looks good, i just don't have the time to go all out. Ill probably sink in a good 10 hours on what i want to do alone. building the box won't be all that hard but i think making the carpet look good will be tough...

Anyone know where to buy the black carpet that covers boxes? I'm trying to get all this done before friday, going Ice fishing with the boys!

When the install is done I will post pictures

local upholstery shop has it here in st. catharines but as for sauga ust find a local audio shop they should have some on hand. I'd even ask the install bay at FS because my buddy who runs the one here usually has some black always kicking around because its the most popular

Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
may i suggest for ur ac vents, if u would not want to lose them run some tubing inside ur box and have the vents out each side to the pasenger...of course it wud require sealing of the area where the vents are located now...the tubing can be flexible and once installed into its positon u cud glass it so the vibrations of the sub dont affect the construction of it....but then again its just a/c vents, and sounds like alot of work all up to u if u wanna keep'em

Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Ill check future shop when i pick the unit up tmrw.

Ine came up with the final deisgn and its not going to sit on the floor...its going to be a wedged shaped boxed in between the two rear passengers with the sub facing the front of the vehicle on an upward angle. ill rig something to the back of it at the bottom to keep it from moving around. Maybe i can incorporate the center seat belt somehow, i dont know ill have to take a look at it tmrw.

Also thinking about hooking up an old ps1 that i have kicking around to the headunit. why not???

Quick Reply: Floor mounted sub