Attn: JJDH, and anyone else who can help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: JJDH, and anyone else who can help

I have a couple questions for you knowing that you have 2 10" Jl W3's up under your rear seat in a fox box, and I am thinking of doing the same.

Before I run my questions out to you, here is what I am dealing with:

I have a fox box.

I had a single 10" JLW3V3-2 in it at one time with the other hole sealed.

I will not be getting a new amp any time soon, I currently am using a Kenwood KAC9104D Mono Amp. It is 900W RMS at 1/2 Ohms and 500W RMS at 4 Ohms, with an 1800W peak at all Ohms (it is 1-ohm stable).

Before I got the single W3, I had two Infinity Kappa 102.7's. These are now back in my setup. They are 50-350W RMS at 1/4 Ohms and 1400W Max at either. I say 1/4 because they are selectable with a switch on the sub (pretty neat IMO), and I have run them at both 1 ohm and 4 ohms. I currently have them at 1 ohm, because I believe they sound better there.

Now, the reason why I sold the W3: the two Infinity's outperformed it, without a doubt. It wasn't even close.

So, here are my questions:

1. Are your W3's 2 or 4 ohms?
2. What ya got pushin 'em?
3. (Perhaps to a broader audience) Would the one JL getting all 1.3ft3 of airspace compared to the two Infinity's sharing it actually hurt the JL's sound quality and performance when compared to the Infinity's?
4. Knowing my amp's specs, if I go to two JL's, I should go 2-ohm, correct?
5. (Again to a broader audience) I also know that both Infinity's are not that much louder than a single one. Now, I know that with our downfiring setups volume is limited, I can definitely "feel" two more than one, but the sound difference is not that great. Any reason to suspect this to be different for the JL's?

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

1 sub vs 2 subs, of course 2 will be louder. With the JL in there by itself, you are limiting its power handling because the box is so big. It will hit maximum excursion with less power and have a bloated low end. So yes it hurts the sub's performance vs having 2 in there with optimum airspace for each.

The best option for that fox box is by far 2 IDQv3 subs. You just have to find a pair of grilles that will work with them.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 PM

With the w3 they are svc and either 2 ohm or 4 ohm. They dont need that much power. So to go with two 4 ohm subs for a final 2 ohm load is optimal. The idq subs are more liked by some. I have never heard them to compare. I will say that with two of the w3 I have no complaints, they perform. One alone not so much. All I have pushin them is a little ole jl 500/1. I dont prefer the infinity, the ohm switch doesnt appeal to me.

Last edited by JJDH; 02-04-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM

On a side note, if the new bm sub is good to my ears i will be purchasing a second bm, using them, and putting a 1000/1 on em. It is only for something different, another project. Its winter time here, unlike surfer boy sall up above^^^^^

Last edited by JJDH; 02-04-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Well if you end up wanting to sell your JL's, send me a PM. I'm still on the fence on switching. Might upgrade my HU first, I have been wanting a Kenwood DNX5140 for forever now...

Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
1 sub vs 2 subs, of course 2 will be louder. With the JL in there by itself, you are limiting its power handling because the box is so big. It will hit maximum excursion with less power and have a bloated low end. So yes it hurts the sub's performance vs having 2 in there with optimum airspace for each.

The best option for that fox box is by far 2 IDQv3 subs. You just have to find a pair of grilles that will work with them.
THIS is what I was afraid of, and that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Attn: JJDH, and anyone else who can help