Tweeters comming from amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweeters comming from amp?

Ive got a 2005 regular cab i made custom sub boxes for behind the seat and want to make some little boxes for the top of the sub box for tweeters... it would be easyest for me to wire it strait to the amp but idk if that is possible???how to?

Thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 PM
So, you just want to add tweeters? Not normal speakers? And wire it to the existing sub amp? Not gonna happen man...

Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The only way you can run your subs and tweeters off one amplifier is if you set your amplifier to ALL PASS, and you drop the gain like a **** so you don't blow out the tweeters. Only problem with that is your subs will sound weak and you'll get vocals out of them, which the majority of people don't want in their bass (unless you listen to Barry White). I'm not too familiar with the single-cabs, but I assume you do have rear speakers. If your box is blocking the way, you can run a new set of wiring from the headunit to the rear and build some 3-ways into your sub box and run the wiring to those speakers. Then again at this point, your options are almost endless. However, inexpensive options are limitful, lol.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM
This is entirely possible with the correct amplifier. It just depends on how much you want to spend, and how much power you want. I have a jl amp with 2 channels with separate crossovers for each channel. you could wire up the sub to the 1st channel and set the filter to a low pass, the wire tweeters on the other channel set the filter to high pass and put the tweeters on external crossovers. as long as you dont do any tuning on the head unit i dont see any problems except the money vs power if you are on a budget. Im pretty sure you can buy the independent tweeters+crossovers with out a whole component kit.

Swift

Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Swift147
This is entirely possible with the correct amplifier. It just depends on how much you want to spend, and how much power you want. I have a jl amp with 2 channels with separate crossovers for each channel. you could wire up the sub to the 1st channel and set the filter to a low pass, the wire tweeters on the other channel set the filter to high pass and put the tweeters on external crossovers. as long as you dont do any tuning on the head unit i dont see any problems except the money vs power if you are on a budget. Im pretty sure you can buy the independent tweeters+crossovers with out a whole component kit.

Swift
That wont work. The tweeters each need their own independent channel to get left/right signal. So to run 2 tweeters and a sub, you need at least 3 channels of amplification.

BTW tweeters in your subbox = fail. Put them in front of you, and match them with proper midrange drivers.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
That wont work. The tweeters each need their own independent channel to get left/right signal. So to run 2 tweeters and a sub, you need at least 3 channels of amplification.

BTW tweeters in your subbox = fail. Put them in front of you, and match them with proper midrange drivers.
didnt know he wanted the in the box, but it all depends on what you want out of it. Good stereo imaging or the car next to you to hear the hi hats in your song. It may not be proper, but why cant you splice the wire before the external crossovers? It wouldn't be stereo but if you just want mono..... Is there a technical detail im missing here or is this quality vs noise? Getting the ohm load right might be a bit tricky and once again not proper, but considering he wants them behind him in the box i dont think hes to picky.... at the same time i have never attempted this and only have use component speakers for one automotive install. But my logic for this is coming from live pa applications where this is not unheard of, but those are usually in the same box of a set of at least 2, so mono isnt a concern.

swift

Old 02-07-2010, 05:40 AM

didnt know he wanted the in the box, but it all depends on what you want out of it. Good stereo imaging or the car next to you to hear the hi hats in your song.
Uh wtf? Who cares what the guy next to you hears. It about what sounds good to you personally (good stereo imaging), not the dude next to you (unless you are in high school and just looking for attention )

It may not be proper, but why cant you splice the wire before the external crossovers? It wouldn't be stereo but if you just want mono..... Is there a technical detail im missing here or is this quality vs noise?
Absolutely is a technical detail you are missing. Mono tweeters = fail. No good.
Getting the ohm load right might be a bit tricky and once again not proper, but considering he wants them behind him in the box i dont think hes to picky.... at the same time i have never attempted this and only have use component speakers for one automotive install. But my logic for this is coming from live pa applications where this is not unheard of, but those are usually in the same box of a set of at least 2, so mono isnt a concern.

swift
Believe me, for mobile audio this is a horrible idea. Match the tweeter with a proper component midrange or coaxial midrange, place it/aim it properly, and move on. Behind you is gonna sound like ***.

Trending Topics

Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 PM
msall, what do you do for work?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Well maybe you can help... i listen to all types of music you name it I listen to it! But ive slowly built my stereo system through friends and well sundevils advice actually lol I JUST FEEL LIKE IM MISSING SOMETHING! I dont want to spend a bunch of money because I have already lol but im looking for MORE! ill tell you my set up and maybe you can sugjest since the tweeters seem to be a big pile of **** in your yalls opinion

Ive got 2 Rockford Fos. 10in shallows behind each seat running off a 2 channel amp (no problems there love it to death they hit hard over all just what I wanted) then in the doors I went ahead and replaced the stock 6x9s in the mini rear doors and the front doors with rockfords also then my head unit is a ddx514 putting out 45amps as far as I know and the 6x9s are wired to the head unit...

Problem I have is well when I set up my bass treble and mids i end up having my bass on like 3 my mids on negative 7 and my treble on 6 ( and the options are negative 7 through poss 7)

Idk why but the treble parts appeal to me alot hence why I thought tweeters but overall they do ok

But then theres my mids! I mean I listen to it wide open cranked to the max and having the mids set to anything more than negative 7 makes the speakers phase out ( crackle and pop like trying to listen to a stock radio laud)

Help me out Ill take any advice I can get

Old 02-08-2010, 01:54 AM
First of all, you have 6x8's in your truck stock...hopefully thats what you got. I hate 6x9's and peoples stupid obsession with them.

Id invest in a quality set of 6 1/2 components for the front. Rockford door speakers, in my opinion, are garbage. I can recommend something in whatever price range your looking at. Next step is going to be a 4 channel amp to push your door speakers instead of running them off the headunit.

BTW, your headunit is rated at 45w x4....thats the max rating. The continuous power rating (RMS) is going to be in the 18-22w x4 range. An under-powered speaker is going to start to distort at lower levels, which is what im pretty sure what you are hearing.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Im pretty for certain I have 6x9s ill look again and I have a set of 6 1/2 from my s-10 sitting around so Ill give those a whirl and see if I cant get myself into cheaper amp of some sort you recoment like a 400?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Ford has been putting 6x8's (5x7) in damn near all of their vehicles since like '95. This goes for Lincoln, mercury, and Mazda too.

This is a solid 4 channel....
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...=1199494646190

Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
msall, what do you do for work?
I work on campus at the Athletic Department at my college.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Uh wtf? Who cares what the guy next to you hears. It about what sounds good to you personally (good stereo imaging), not the dude next to you (unless you are in high school and just looking for attention )

Absolutely is a technical detail you are missing. Mono tweeters = fail. No good.

Believe me, for mobile audio this is a horrible idea. Match the tweeter with a proper component midrange or coaxial midrange, place it/aim it properly, and move on. Behind you is gonna sound like ***.

I think we are having a misscomunication, I am not saying i support any of these ideas. Aswell as the sure as hell do not meet my standards of what i expect out of my audio.

yes they guy next to you only matters if YOU care.... But as you can see i am new to this forum and have no prior knowlage of what he is looking for. In most accoations where some one asks if they can do some thing like this, they have some alternative motive, aka looks or they guy in the other lane. I mean i have built some rediculious **** just to see it happen! sure mono tweeter are going to sound terrible, but will they make noise...... my guess is yes, would i ever do this in any thing of mine.......you couldnt pay me to
what i meant my "technical detail" was more along the lines of some issue with exactly how they design crossovers, and possible fire hazards or resistance strain on the amp. at the same time i am by no means trying to talk him into his original idea, but if he really wants that, in my opinion it Could happen.....Not should

Old 02-11-2010, 01:16 PM
i dont give a flying **** what the guy next to me thinks lol I want it to sound good to me and everyone else can just deal... I dont want something thats just gona take up space or waste my time thats why I asked on here... I am just a newb that happened to put together a decent system thus far but it was lacking something so im i posted thats it lol... im going to do the 6 1/2s in the front door instead of the 6x8 and then im going to get another amp(tho I have no Idia where I have room to put it) and wire my speakers from there

Quick Reply: Tweeters comming from amp?