Stereo Integrity BM pre-order: almost $100 off each!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what is everyones update on how they like them now that some of you have had them for a while? I am really interested in anyone that has a pre-fab box under a non lifted seat in a 05 style screw fx4...that can happen right? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Pre-fab boxes for slim 12s are not made, and none that will fit the BM. You will need to build your own box or have one built.

As far as the results with the BMs: I've had mine in for a few months now, and I still believe they are easily the best possible subwoofer that can fit under the rear seat without a lift, both in output and clarity.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Ohh I had thought that fox box or whatever it's called worked if you made the opening bigger. Thanks for the update!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Any reason this would not work as a pre-fab?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-2008-Ford-F...item335d6d64c3

Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by el_chupo_
Any reason this would not work as a pre-fab?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-2008-Ford-F...item335d6d64c3
It could work. Airspace is a little high for 1 BM, so maybe install wood blocks on the inside to bring it down to around .55 or .6 cubes. My only other worry would be lack of excursion space between the cone and the floor.

But that box is the best option I've seen so far for pre-fab, nice find.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
It could work. Airspace is a little high for 1 BM, so maybe install wood blocks on the inside to bring it down to around .55 or .6 cubes. My only other worry would be lack of excursion space between the cone and the floor.

But that box is the best option I've seen so far for pre-fab, nice find.
Only potential problem from more air is loss of power handling. It will increase efficiency, especially in the lower frequencies, which will help it play louder.

Have you modeled these in WinISD? 2ft is a .7 alignment. Bigger is just closer. The BM in recommended box is simply taking advantage of what most manufactures do, which is count on cabin gain. Nothing wrong with it, if you must have a small box, but bigger is almost always better for sub enclosures.

Per Nick from SI:

Originally Posted by Electrodynamic
Matt,

Qtc is a 1.2 in 0.5^3 sealed. You can place the driver in a larger enclosure if you absolutely have to, but power handling will go down substantially. In a car audio environment there is no reason to put the driver in a larger enclosure unless you want an over-exaggerated bottom end and greatly reduced power handling. In a vehicle, hitting your target F3 (it should be in/around the mid 40's) is the most important aspect. Qtc is valid for home applications, but not so much for cars due to the +12 dB/octave gain you get starting at approximately 45 Hz. In our modeler it shows a nice gradual slight <2 dB rise in the frequency response down to approximately 45 hz where the drivers response starts to fall off. In a car you won't hear the rise because transfer function takes over around that same area and you end up with a nice even frequency response.

And as Zach said, you really don't need any more depth behind the driver due to the venting at the outside edge. You can kind of see by the first picture of the back of the driver that Zach posted that the vents are curved and they extend from the inside of the outer basket roll to the outside of the basket roll.

Speaking of which, here is a link to the BM's web page where you can see the technical mounting data near the bottom of the page.
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic
You're looking at 300 watts power handling in 1 ft^3 sealed and 220 watts in 1.5 ft^3 sealed.

Basically, going slightly bigger (.70 less displacement) should take power handling to about 400w, while giving a bit better low end (below 45hz) with no other real problems. Over 1 cube you get into more bloating (yes, I have tried it with my BM) but a .6-.75 seems to really shine with about 180w on it in my BMW. Definitely not a pounder, but it works well with the rest of the setup.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by el_chupo_
Only potential problem from more air is loss of power handling. It will increase efficiency, especially in the lower frequencies, which will help it play louder.

Have you modeled these in WinISD? 2ft is a .7 alignment. Bigger is just closer. The BM in recommended box is simply taking advantage of what most manufactures do, which is count on cabin gain. Nothing wrong with it, if you must have a small box, but bigger is almost always better for sub enclosures.
Exactly, which is why I don't really rely heavily on WinISD for mobile subwoofer modeling. I understand the only loss from added air is power handling with the BM, but a lot of people who read this particular forum are the type that want to throw lots of power at their subwoofer for maximum output. Just trying to point people in the right direction. I'd love to see somebody try that pre-fab box with a BM. I will admit I have a slight (+1) bump at 31Hz with my BMs, but my box has .46 cu ft chambers.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Exactly, which is why I don't really rely heavily on WinISD for mobile subwoofer modeling. I understand the only loss from added air is power handling with the BM, but a lot of people who read this particular forum are the type that want to throw lots of power at their subwoofer for maximum output. Just trying to point people in the right direction. I'd love to see somebody try that pre-fab box with a BM. I will admit I have a slight (+1) bump at 31Hz with my BMs, but my box has .46 cu ft chambers.

Fair enough. I have yet to find a sub I did not like in a larger than .707 alignment, but, as noted, not as important in a car. And, as noted, for power handling, you are spot on as well.

FWIW, I will be switching out to a Dayton HO 15 in my car as soon as I have time to play, so I will have some more perspective. we shall see how the SI stands up to a bigger sub. Also plan to install another Zapco DC amp to give the sub a bit more power.

Matt

Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 AM

I eagerly await your review of the Dayton and comparison to the BM (with more power on it, of course). As soon as I get some extra cash I will be getting the HO 10 and building a .7 cu ft box tuned to 30Hz for underseat use in the F150, and probably putting it in my dad's 08 F150. I am just incredibly curious as to how well it will perform as a single 10 in the F150, and honestly I have a good feeling about it. This may be on hold for a while though, next step is still the MS8.

WinISD calls for ~1.3 cubes for each Adire Koda 10". I had them in .7 each with fill, and they played extremely well and relatively flat to ~25Hz under the seat in the F150.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM
I eagerly await your review of the Dayton and comparison to the BM (with more power on it, of course). As soon as I get some extra cash I will be getting the HO 10 and building a .7 cu ft box tuned to 30Hz for underseat use in the F150, and probably putting it in my dad's 08 F150. I am just incredibly curious as to how well it will perform as a single 10 in the F150, and honestly I have a good feeling about it. This may be on hold for a while though, next step is still the MS8.

WinISD calls for ~1.3 cubes for each Adire Koda 10". I had them in .7 each with fill, and they played extremely well and relatively flat to ~25Hz under the seat in the F150.
Did you see the one FS on DIYMA from hillbilly SQ (Chris). I think he is only asking 90 bucks shipped. I was thinking of getting it, but I am holding off on the truck build until I figure out what I am doing for processing.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 PM

There was someone early on in this thread that used the dual prefab off ebay from the same builder. He seems to like the result.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Pre-fab boxes for slim 12s are not made, and none that will fit the BM. You will need to build your own box or have one built.

As far as the results with the BMs: I've had mine in for a few months now, and I still believe they are easily the best possible subwoofer that can fit under the rear seat without a lift, both in output and clarity.
what are you talking about???!!?...I been running my BMK's for 3 mo9nths now in a Rodney prefab box from e bay and it was like 150 u.s shipped.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by JJDH
There was someone early on in this thread that used the dual prefab off ebay from the same builder. He seems to like the result.
ding ding ding!! that was me.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by IH8ATTN
what are you talking about???!!?...I been running my BMK's for 3 mo9nths now in a Rodney prefab box from e bay and it was like 150 u.s shipped.
You were also the one who said there wasn't enough excursion room for the BMs with that box. Regardless, I'm glad you could make it work.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM
You were also the one who said there wasn't enough excursion room for the BMs with that box. Regardless, I'm glad you could make it work.
There is I just got 1/2" longer rubber feet and it's good to go....definately had to polyfill it as recommended by SI

Quick Reply: Stereo Integrity BM pre-order: almost $100 off each!