Stock H/U with better speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock H/U with better speakers

I have an '09 F150 XLT that is 2 months old. I trade trucks every 3-4 yrs and this is hands down the best one I've owned exept for 1 thing; the stereo.
It sounds like a single chnl portable radio. My truck is work/personal so I try not to get into any radical mods and it's been a while since I made any changes to the stereo in my vehicles. However, I've had all I can stand and need some advise on my options. I don't care about overly loud, just nice sound with some decent volume when the mood strikes. Can I acheive this by changing out the door speakers and possibly adding some power while keeping the stock head unit. If so, are there any particular speakers, etc. that would be a good choice. I'm not sure if it matters but, my truck has the single cd w/ sync and sirius.
Thanks and any help/advise is very much appreciated.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd start by changing your speakers out. See what it sounds like after you do that. I changed mine (although I do have the Nav unit) and it made a world of difference.

The factory speakers are 5X7's. Check out www.crutchfield.com

Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i put in JL TR components that run off the stock nav unit and it sounds great. if you dont want/need all the extra power of amping better speakers this is a decent comparamise.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the help. I've done some online research and decided to install Polk Audio speakers with an amp. I've used Polk Audio with my home stereo's before and usually lean towad their speakers when upgrading, so I was happy to see their car speakers got good reviews as well. I'm still trying to decide on what amp would best compliment them and if I need to install anything between the receiver and the amp - a processor, etc. Some of this stuff, I'm having to brush up on. I'm not old but, when I was a teenager, upgrading your car stereo amounted to a powered receiver, eq, and as many 6x9's as you could get in the doors and rear deck panel.

Quick Reply: Stock H/U with better speakers