What power factory speakers can take? How to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What power factory speakers can take? How to replace?

I currently have a Kenwood CD unit (22Wx4) that runs to the factory speakers in my '97 SuperCab Lariat. I also have a Sony 25Wx2 amp connected to the rear RCA outputs running to a pair of Ultimate 10" pickup boxes behind the front seats. This setup does not sound bad for the money I have in it. However, I'm planning to change things up. I have an amp I've not installed yet, a Clarion 100Wx2 that I would like to connect to the 10" boxes (my deck has two pairs of RCA's). Then I'd like to drive either two or all four factory speakers with the Sony 25Wx2. Question 1: what is the impedance of the factory speakers? Are they 4 ohm? If they are lower than that, the amp will overheat. Question 2: will they handle 25W constant output? And question 3: if I actually decide to replace the factory's with new ones, how in the world do you swap the one in the rear on the driver's side on a '97 with no fourth door? It looks like you'd have to remove the seat and then somehow take the whole side panel of the rear part of the cab out. If someone can answer any of these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2001, 02:25 PM
Replace em.

The factory speakers are crap, they can handle the 22w from the HU unit, but they aren't made good and will distort. Plus any decent aftermarket 5x7 will sound so much better.

I just replaced all 4 speakers, w/ a pair of Pioneer 6895 in front and 6855 in rear.

My HU is a Premier 720, about 22w rms, at about 2/3 volume the speakers broke up bad, w/ the new speakers I can turn up to about 3/4 volume with little distorting.

To replace the rear one of a 97'.
1. Take out the rear set. Slowly, patiently and carefull remove everything til you get to it.
2. you could grab pull and rip til you reach it.

Old 06-20-2001, 05:03 AM
Until I replaced my front speakers with components I ran my MTX amp to the factory speaks. They handled the amp much to my surprise for quite awhile. They factory spec sheet with my amp shows it putting 55w per channel

------------------
97 F-150XL 4.2V6, 5 spd, 2wdlb, Kenwood cd, MTX 4ch amp, MTX 12"sub, MTX components in doors

Future 16x8 Daytona wheels, 265/75 tires, rhinoliner, perf stuff

Quick Reply: What power factory speakers can take? How to replace?