Need Some Advice On My Car Audio Setup! Please Give Me Your Input.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Advice On My Car Audio Setup! Please Give Me Your Input.

I have a single cab 2004 F-150 Heritage STX. I recently installed a brand new Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X792 receiver, a Kicker 10" solobaric L5 subwoofer in a ported truck enclosure, and an Alpine MRP-M500 amp. For some reason, I'm not getting the bass I had expected from such a seemingly powerful setup in a single cab truck. I don't know whether it's the amp or the sub that I am dissatisfied with, or it could be the incessant rattling that I hear constantly. I cannot decifer where it is coming from, since most of my panels are kinda loose and will come off relatively easily. I was wondering what suggestions you guys had. If I need Dynamat, then how much would I need for the 2 doors, back wall, and whatever else? I am completely at a loss. Please help me! Should I return these components? Or could it be the rattling that is so unnerving to me? From what everyone tells me, this should be an amazing setup in such a small space. Any thoughts?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:21 AM
is everything tuned correctly?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 AM
An l5 not being loud in a ported box, my first guess is you bought a basic box not suited for the l5, that or who made your box is a retard. Sound is like 70% in the box and box design. l5 are loud, well pretty much anything from kicker is known to be loud so I would say check box specs ie(port length and port sq inches) then check into wiring! make sure no lose cables. Also if you have a defeat option on your head unit, I would turn that on to give you more sub per door speaker output

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

My buddy has one L5 sealed in his single cab chevy and it slams. I wonder how well built/tuned your box is. Maybe try a sealed box.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Well I assume everything is tuned correctly from the professional installation. I have tweaked the amp myself, but I am not really certain what the settings mean and where the optimal levels should be. As far as the box, it came from crutchfield already loaded with the sub, and it's made specifically for that sub by Kicker. What is a defeat option? I think it may be the rattling that's making think that I'm not satisfied. Anyone know how much deadener I would need for a single cab (doors, back wall, ceiling, or whatever else)?

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice On My Car Audio Setup! Please Give Me Your Input.