Where To Run Amp Power Wire and Where To Mount Amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where To Run Amp Power Wire and Where To Mount Amp

Howdy,

I just ordered my box and sub from Supercrewsound and now I am trying to figure out where to run all of my wires before it gets here. I am planning on running the amp power wire down the passenger side of the truck since the battery is on that side and the amp will be mounted on that side also. I took a look under the truck and found a small grommet under the passenger door and also one under the passenger rear door that I believe the amp wire will fit through (4 AWG). My question is - is there a better place to bring the power wire into the cab such as through the fire wall? Is there any disadvantage to running the wire on the underside of the truck and then bringing it in through the rear grommet or is it a no no to run the wire on the outside of the truck? I am thinking about mounting the amp under the rear passender seat and relocating the jack but I have also considered putting it behind the seat. How difficult is it to remove the seat and get back there and is there anyone who has this setup? Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long questions.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I ran my power wire through the firewall and under the door sill all the way to the back of the cab. I didn't feel like messing with getting the seat back off so I just mounted the amp under the passenger seat and the sub (10") takes up the center and driver seat (also ordered the box from supercrewsound)Looks awesome once you get all the wires tucked away plus the led's on the amp give a cool little glow under the seat at night. You have to remove the jack but I've herd somewhere that guys just put them on top of the spare tire.

If you want pics let me know

Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i mounted my amp where the jack was also, and i grounded it right to the jack's bolt. works perfectly (check my gallery for pics). i also have a single 10" box.

i ran my power wire through the firewall on the passenger side. there is actually a nice pre-drilled hole there straight back from the battery toward the cab, my 4 gauge wire fit no problem. i ran it down the door sill, plenty of room.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and mount it under the passenger rear seat as well. Dspsblehero, if you don't mind, will you post a couple pics? I've searched and read a bunch of topics about this grommet in the firewall and I think I have found what everyone is talking about, but the thing looks like it is small and way up there under the dash. Do you have to pull back all of that padding or does the wire come out up over the blower motor? I have 4 AWG wire as well, were you able to push it through the grommet or did you take the grommet completely out? Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM
I added pictures of the whole setup and wire locations in my gallery. When you mount your amp I suggest mount a sheet of plywood (I painted my black)then mount the amp to the plywood

Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 AM
I mounted mine under the seat too...sorry don't have any pics but it is exactly like dspsblehero03's. Thats kewl that someone else mounted the amp like that too. I really like it that way because it is more hidden from prying eyes.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 AM
I did the same when I built my box and what I call the amp rack. Built mine at about a 20 degree angle so It can be seen a little more and catch more air from the rear a/c vent that's aimed at it. Pics in my gallery.

Quick Reply: Where To Run Amp Power Wire and Where To Mount Amp