Speaker and Sub combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker and Sub combo

i currently have an Alpine cda-9847 head unit installed in my truck with the factory speaker. I would like to add 6.5 components to the front doors and i already have a set of 5x7 polks out of my previous truck for the rears. To get good sound voume and quality am i going to need to add a amp.

Also, i would like to put a sub in but its a lot of money. if i do get a sub is there an amp the could power the sub and my door speakers or will i need to seperate amps.

Also is finding a factory sub and amp worth the time. I dont wont a hard bumpin system just some added bass to fill out music.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by austinbF150; 08-20-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by austinbF150
To get good sound voume and quality am i going to need to add a amp.

In short, yes. Once you start cranking the volume on speakers hooked to just a head unit, you will be running out and gettin an amp real quick.

If you are wanting to stay with one amp you have a couple options. One is to get a 4 channel amp. Run the front comps off the front channels, bridge the rear channels for the sub, and run the back speakers off the rear HU channels.
Or, you could find a 5 or 6 channel amp. Run all 4 door speakers off 4 channels, and run the sub off the 5th channel, or bridge the number 5 and 6 channels for the sub.

Honestly I dont think it would be worth trying to put a stock sub/amp package it. Any time I have seen them they cost an arm and a leg. For half the price you could install an aftermarket sub/amp combo that would kill the stock setup. Also, Im not 100% sure if the stock sub/amp will work with an aftermarket HU. I would they they would make a way, but I dont recall hearing of anything personally anyway.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
In short, yes. Once you start cranking the volume on speakers hooked to just a head unit, you will be running out and gettin an amp real quick.

If you are wanting to stay with one amp you have a couple options. One is to get a 4 channel amp. Run the front comps off the front channels, bridge the rear channels for the sub, and run the back speakers off the rear HU channels.
Or, you could find a 5 or 6 channel amp. Run all 4 door speakers off 4 channels, and run the sub off the 5th channel, or bridge the number 5 and 6 channels for the sub.

Honestly I dont think it would be worth trying to put a stock sub/amp package it. Any time I have seen them they cost an arm and a leg. For half the price you could install an aftermarket sub/amp combo that would kill the stock setup. Also, Im not 100% sure if the stock sub/amp will work with an aftermarket HU. I would they they would make a way, but I dont recall hearing of anything personally anyway.
I agree the factory amps are expensive i had a mustang once and they told me the only way i could run aftermarket equipment is to purchase the factory amp and it was like 500 bucks!! so i ran my own speaker wires and spent like 30 bucks on wire.i would run 2 amps the 5 and 6 channels are not that great and the power output is not that clean anyway-go with a 4 channel for the speakers and a mono amp for the sub-hope this helps

Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the advice

Any sugeestions on type of amps, speakers, and sub

Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the advice

What would your budget be for everything?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 AM
i would like to keep it under $1000. I want to be as cheap as possible but still get a good mid-range system.
Would i get good sound quality if i got a three channel amp and hooked just the front speakers and sub to it and left the rear powered by the radio.

Last edited by austinbF150; 08-21-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Would i get good sound quality if i got a three channel amp and hooked just the front speakers and sub to it and left the rear powered by the radio.

It really depends how well your Polks run off of HU power.

What cab style do you have? You can always just ditch the rear fill. Doesnt pull the soundstage to the back and cost less money that way, Unless you really want the sound of rear speakers.

Also, can you build your own box or do you want to buy one?

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Here we go again!!! lol.. just kidding man, Listen to these guys, they know their stuff.

Bartak, still haven't moved out that way yet, but i feel it comming.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by luke280

Bartak, still haven't moved out that way yet, but i feel it comming.

I had been wondering if you moved this way or still planned on it.
You still thinking the southern part of the state (Omaha/Lincoln) ??

Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
I had been wondering if you moved this way or still planned on it.
You still thinking the southern part of the state (Omaha/Lincoln) ??
Yup. Her folks live about an hour north of Omaha. I would assume it would be in Omaha or close by. We got the wedding out of the way, so I believe that this will be the next thing on the list.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I have an 04 extended cab. I dont have any experience building boxes so i was planning on buying one. Taking out the back speaker wont mess up the surround sound type quality?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by luke280
Yup. Her folks live about an hour north of Omaha. I would assume it would be in Omaha or close by. We got the wedding out of the way, so I believe that this will be the next thing on the list.

Cool. I have some relatives in Omaha and right north of there. Actually had a family reunion there about 3 weeks ago Im 3-3.5 hours north of Omaha so if you ever wanted to meet up it wouldnt be to bad of a drive

Congrats on the wedding too!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I have an 04 extended cab. I dont have any experience building boxes so i was planning on buying one. Taking out the back speaker wont mess up the surround sound type quality?

If your into the 'sound all around you' sound then you better stick with rear speakers.

A lot of guys like it to sound like the band is playing right infront of you, and your dash is like a stage, thats why some of us dont like rear fill.

Have you ever ran those Polks off a HU before?

Supercrewsound.com makes custom boxes, and there is another brand a lot of folk around here use, I can never think of the name though.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Here is a box from supercrewsound.
http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/32.htm
For a single 8 or 10 inch sub, .6 cu ft, I suggest you get the extra 5/8ths inch mounting depth too.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I had 4 polks with the same alpine HU in my old truck and the sound quality was about the same as any highend factory system nothing special though.

Thanks for all your help Bartak

Quick Reply: Speaker and Sub combo