ATTN: MattStrauss...Mix match subs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN: MattStrauss...Mix match subs

I wanted to let that other post die and since I can't moderate I'll do the next best thing.

Anyway, to answer your original question...It's not a common practice to mix subs. If you wanted to experiment with different size subs, go for it, but even then I don't think you would acheive what your looking for.

But I would definitely NOT mix the same size subs...ever. I can't see that sounding good because of each subs own characteristics. And if you do try it...be sure the different subs are in a completly different box.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks Bryan, I didnt think that responding to any of the posts in the last thread would help a great deal so I thought I'd just let it die and repost it as soon as things were smoothed out either that being yupster was banned or came to peace with the rest of the forum members. They would be in completely different boxes but I think ill wait to upgrade until I can afford to get 2 10W3's or 3 W3's. I was planning on building a box but that will have to wait being that I just broke my finger today in baseball practice and havent had a chance for it to be looked at since I had SAT classes tonight . Thanks tho for taking time to answer my question without sharing your opinion on irrelevant things.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry that all came to that, guys. The thread has been removed in lieu of this one...

Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 PM
yea, definitely not a good idea... i had a pair of infinity perfects way back in the day and one blew a vc so I had a polk momo laying around that i thew in until the perfect was repaired. I had a wierd sound to it and was quieter... there was definitely some cancellation.
well anyway, yea sort of beating it into the ground at this point ... mixing same size subs is a no go... and even different sized subs will require some very good crossovers and a good ear for music (back when i was like 14 my sister bf had 2 15's, 2 12's, and 2 8's).... he had a crossover for each amp that cutoff at a certain freqs. but i still think it sounded like trash.

Sorry about your finger... my senior yr in HS i had 2 shoulder surgeries on my rotator cuff... and still have terrible pain every time i throw... you should feel somewhat lucky its just your finger.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
OK so mixing is a no-no, but what if I had the same sub in a ported enclsure while the other two were sealed? Still no good??

Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MattStrauss
OK so mixing is a no-no, but what if I had the same sub in a ported enclsure while the other two were sealed? Still no good??

Same thing...nono

Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by MattStrauss
If you could somehow set it up on a switch and play the ported enclosure when you want and the sealed enclosure when you want, it would work. But, there are too many differences in sound quality of the two systems that would prevent them from working together and sounding correctly. I actually like the switch idea and I have even seen some wild boxes that people have put motorized ports in them. They could change from sealed to ported activating the motor. But, they are still using the same sub or subs.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
the only way different drivers work together is when they are crossed over properly, if you goall is to have a driver for sub bass and one for midbass then that will work if they are properly crossed over, however using to different drivers to play the same bandwidth in the hopes of getting the best out of each sub is not going to work

Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never tried mixing brands of subs myself, I can't comment on it, but I was always told its a NoNo...

Quick Reply: ATTN: MattStrauss...Mix match subs