alpine speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alpine speakers

I am looking to buy the Alpine Type-R 6.5" component speakers, but I am worried about powering them. I am building a custom, fiberglass eclosure in my door panel.

Recently, Alpine redesigned the Type-Rs for 07 and I am not much of a fan of the redesigned series, based on aesthetics alone: http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/pro...es/spr-17s.jpg
So I think I am going to be sticking with the 06 series: http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/pro...es/spr-17s.jpg

06 Type Rs:
RMS: 70w
Impedence: 4ohms

07 Type Rs:
RMS: 110w
Impedence: 4ohms

So now it is obvious that the 07 series is sgnificantly more powerful than the 06 series, but I am definately more concerned about sound quality over volume. I can't imagine that I'm sacrificing any quality if I stick with a redesigned series, but lately, it seems with car audio that it is always eitehr one or the other.

But I digress. The amp I want to power them with is the Alpine PDX-4.100 that i out next month: http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/pro.../pdx-4_100.jpg

That amp is 100W x 4 at 4ohms. Obviously, the amp is better suited for the 07 Type Rs, but i am wondering of the 06 Type Rs would sacrifice much quality or be too underpowered with 30W over the RMS rather than 10W under?

So I suppose that is my main question. But I'm also asking if you think it is just absurd that I am basing this on aethetics alone, especially sincethere isnt a price difference between the 2. But I would only consider that comment relevant if it turns out that I relaly do not lose any quality by changing series.

Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize for stealing the last 10 min of your life.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im not sure on the specs of the two, Im going to look when I get home...
I would think if price is the same, the new versions would be better, maybe not though.
Your not going to tell a difference between 100 watts and 110 watts if you used the new ones. With the old ones, I would maybe set your gains a little low...might nto need it though, Im not sure how much power the older ones can really take.
Im going to compare those speakers a little more when I get home and post back here...

Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 AM
did you ever find out a solution?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 AM
I do not think you would hurt anything powering either series with that amp. Both sets should handle the power and sound great.

As for which, I think it is just a personal thing for you. Maybe try and find a store with the new and old ones and see if you could tell a difference. I am sure there are still some on demo boards somewhere.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey, Im just now getting a chance to look at them, sorry for the hold up.

Anyway, spec wise there are a few things that make the older versions a little more appealing, and then there are a few things that make the newer models more appealing. So neither set really stands above the other there IMO. Not that specs really make a speaker anyway. Mids and tweets look nicer on the new model though. Crossover looks to have a little more adjustment too.

So I decided to read a little about them, and from what I read, it sounds like people are really liking the sound of the new ones over the old ones.
Like D said, go listen to a set of each if you can. But if they are the same price, I think I would be focusing on the new version...even if the newer models are a touch more.
But maybe you wont be able to tell a difference either...every ear is different.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:51 PM
thanks alot for the help Bartak1 and dconder, that really wan excellent advise. I live in budunk Savannah right now, but I'll be going home to Dallas shortly. Ill check it out when I'm in a familiar place. But i appreciate the help either way.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Let us know what you decide. This thread has made me a little curious and I might have to take a listen to the new ones just to see how they stack up...

Quick Reply: alpine speakers