What for the rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartak1
If its in your budget, your best bet is to buy a separate amp for your sub stage, either a mono or a two channel that you can bridge. That way you can keep your rears amped to, just how you like it, but still have a sub.
Thanks, Bartak1. I do plan to buy another amp for the sub. I'm just wondering what other people's opinions are on the the best way to hook it up so that I can still keep all 4 door speakers amped and maintian fade control.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
A lot of times for the guys not wanting to spend a whole lot of cash, we will recommend doing the 4 channel, and using the front channels on the front speakers, rear channels bridged for a sub, and either ditch the rear, or run it off the HU's power.

If its in your budget, your best bet is to buy a separate amp for your sub stage, either a mono or a two channel that you can bridge. That way you can keep your rears amped to, just how you like it, but still have a sub.

I agree with this. I ran this setup with 0 problems. Just make sure you pick a sub with the correct ohmage(is that a word?). Most amps can only drive a 4 ohm sub when two channels are bridged.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 PM

This is the way to go.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks, everyone. So, with my main 4-channel amp, I will no longer want to amplify low frequencies. The easiest way for do this without LOC's would be with a crossover that supports 4 speaker-level inputs, 4 main out and 1 sub out. Does nayone know a better way?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by TFord
Thanks, everyone. So, with my main 4-channel amp, I will no longer want to amplify low frequencies. The easiest way for do this without LOC's would be with a crossover that supports 4 speaker-level inputs, 4 main out and 1 sub out. Does nayone know a better way?
most amplifiers have built in crossovers

Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by TFord
Why wouldn't you want to amp low frequencies?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For the front/rear speakers you dont want too, thats the subwoofers job.

Sub plays from usually 80ish hz on down, and from 80ish herz on up is where the speakers come in. Depends on how your crossover is set, of course.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 AM
My main 4-channel amp does have built-in crossovers, but the cut-off frequency isn't listed on the unit or in the manual. A local dealer/installer said yesterday it was probably too high at 300 Hz and recommended I leave it set at full range and install "bass blockers" in-line in the doors. I think I'm going to contact Pioneer tech support...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 AM
My main 4-channel amp does have built-in crossovers, but the cut-off frequency isn't listed on the unit or in the manual. A local dealer/installer said yesterday it was probably too high at 300 Hz and recommended I leave it set at full range and install "bass blockers" in-line in the doors. I think I'm going to contact Pioneer tech support...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
usually the crossovers are adjustable and I find it hardto believe that its not mentioned in the manual... however I feel like your dealer/installer is trying to rip you off buy selling you bass blockers which you don't need if you have an ajustable crossover on your amp

Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
it pulls the stereo soundstage too far back. simple as that... when studio engineers mix a stereo cd they do so with stereo studio monitors setup in front of them the do NOT use headphones unless they are trying to pick something out. with rear fill it makes the reproduction sound less like the engineer intended too and more like headphones.... a tool which is usually used for critical listening but not so good as far as musical reproduction goes. the sound stage needs to be in front of you not around you like most people think.... this is tru for ANY time stereo sound is to be reproduced.
Another way to look at it , is when you see a live performance , the band is in front of you . You don't stand with your back turned to them . If you have children , I would do the rear fill . You can always fade out the rear for your listening enjoyment .

Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
usually the crossovers are adjustable and I find it hardto believe that its not mentioned in the manual... however I feel like your dealer/installer is trying to rip you off buy selling you bass blockers which you don't need if you have an ajustable crossover on your amp

I agree with styx. Even if there are no markings for the frequency. Start with the frequency **** rotated all the way counter clockwise and slowly turn it up till you like it. Somewhere around 9 o'clock position. I would not turn it past 12 o'clock position. That might put you somewhere between around 50-200. Hard to say for sure but, that will at least get you started.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Not a problem setting the crossovers if they are not marked. Make or get a test tone cd. There are plenty of them out there as well as programs that will make a tone at whatever frequency you want. I would start at 80hz tone. Play that through your door speakers with your crossover as far counter clockwise as it will go. Turn the volume up just enough so you can hear, see the speakers moving, then slowly turn the crossover control clockwise until the sound/movement almost stops. This should put you in the ballpark and save your speakers. Forget 'bass blockers'. They are cheap capacitors that cost pennies and sell for $10-15 bucks and most of the time cut off way too high-300hz or so.

Here are some downloadable tones.
http://www.bnoack.com/index.html?htt...downloads.html

Old 01-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of amp is it?

It has to be on the amp or in the manual somewhere, like Styx said...

Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Great comments! The amp is a Pioneer GM-4000F. It does have x-overs that can be switched in and out, but they are not continuously variable. It does not have the x-freqs marked on the amp or in the manual, and since it was discontinued last year the specs aren't on Pioneer's web site either. But Pioneer did repsond to my e-mail!

In the HPF position, the amp passes 80Hz to 50kHz to the main speakers with a -12dB/Octave slope. That should be just fine. Pioneer's current mono sub amps do have variable x-overs between 40-240Hz, so I expect to be able to add one and tune it right in.

Another nice thing about my GM-4000F main amp (contrary to what the dealer told me) is that it has RCA outputs specifically for a subwoofer that are full frequency (despite x-over setting), fixed output regardless of fade, and can be driven from the speaker-level inputs. So, I think this is going to be an easier setup than I imagined!

Quick Reply: What for the rear speakers?