Two subs at different levels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two subs at different levels?

Here's what I would like to do, but if it's going to screw things up in any way, please speak up.

Sub wise, I want to put 2 10's under the rear seat powered by a 2 channel amp. I want 1 sub to be lowpassed at 60Hz, and the other bandpassed at 50-90Hz. Can inline filters be used w/o choking amp power or causing heat issues, or do I need to get an electronic crossover?

Question 2: If I stuff the heck out of the box, will that tighten up the bass, or just require more power to get the same sound?

Thanks,
SL

Old 10-21-2006, 02:47 AM
You wouldn't want them to share the same air space as the speakers would cancel each other out since they aren't playing at the same time. You could keep them in the same box long as you have a air tight divider between them. I would get an electronic crossover for the project. Sorry I can't really comment on the stuffing. Kinda like to know myself.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:00 AM
Suspended
Talking

It wouldn't work for a lot of reasons. I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't be worth it anyway.

Just get some quality subs, in a quality enclosure, and feed them well....

Old 10-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Old 10-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
It wouldn't work for a lot of reasons.
I'm listening....

Old 10-21-2006, 03:21 AM
What's the purpose of one playing at 50-90? And also one cut at 60?

Old 10-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
....get some quality subs, in a quality enclosure, and feed them well....
They will be good subs, and will be in a good (3/4 mdf) separated enclosure, and will have PLENTY of power feeding them. The reason I want them pushing dif Hz levels is so the drivers are working independently from each other for different bass notes ie: deep guitar bass hitting at the same time a kick drum is machine gunning. Am I making sense or making it more confusing?

SL

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2006, 03:25 AM
I understand what you are doing...I just think you going about IT the wrong way.

Just match your subs and get a good pair of mids...they will be able to do the trick for you. Especially, if you install them good!!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by brypink2
What's the purpose of one playing at 50-90? And also one cut at 60?
The 60 lowpass for all below 60Hz, the 50-90 bandpass for just the frequencies in that range. May have to change it to 60-90 though. My thought on going to 50 was to give a little squeeze room instead of a sharp cutoff at the two frequencies.

SL

Old 10-21-2006, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by snappylips
The 60 lowpass for all below 60Hz, the 50-90 bandpass for just the frequencies in that range. May have to change it to 60-90 though. My thought on going to 50 was to give a little squeeze room instead of a sharp cutoff at the two frequencies.
SL
Your slopes can handle that.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:27 AM
I understand what you are doing...I just think you going about IT the wrong way.

Just match your subs and get a good pair of mids...they will be able to do the trick for you. Especially, if you install them good!!!!
Mid bass's instead? I thought those were supposed to cover frequencies higher than what I'm interested in pushing(?).

SL

Old 10-21-2006, 03:30 AM
Your slopes can handle that.
I thought the slopes were supposed to override each other a bit.
Example:
Bass: 100Hz lowpass
Mid: 80-90Hz through 500Hz bandpass
Highs: 400Hz highpass

Is this wrong info ?

Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Mid bass's instead? I thought those were supposed to cover frequencies higher than what I'm interested in pushing(?).

SL
Your midbass freqs are 80 to about 300 or so. A good pair of mids that can handle that and with a good install, you'll be golden. A good install is paramount...I cant stress that enough.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Your midbass freqs are 80 to about 300 or so. A good pair of mids that can handle that and with a good install, you'll be golden. A good install is paramount...I cant stress that enough.
Hmmm. I'm not looking to have 2 subs and 2 mids back there, but I could handle one of each. I'm looking more for SQ than SPL/db level.
I actually was trying to accomplish the same thing with the twin sub setup minus the frequencies over 90Hz, which I was relying on my door speakers to handle.
I'm all for doing the job right, since "real systems have the correct electronics" LOL.
Aside from using good quality wiring of the proper size and good connectors, what are you referring to as a "good install"? Gluing and tacking joints on the box? Matting around speakers? Matting the entire interior? Big 3 wire upgrade?

SL

Old 10-21-2006, 03:59 AM
Hmmm. I'm not looking to have 2 subs and 2 mids back there, but I could handle one of each. I'm looking more for SQ than SPL/db level.
I actually was trying to accomplish the same thing with the twin sub setup minus the frequencies over 90Hz, which I was relying on my door speakers to handle.
I'm all for doing the job right, since "real systems have the correct electronics" LOL.
Aside from using good quality wiring of the proper size and good connectors, what are you referring to as a "good install"? Gluing and tacking joints on the box? Matting around speakers? Matting the entire interior? Big 3 wire upgrade?

SL
I'm talking about the mids in your doors. Good install, I mean (when it comes to your mids) is seal up the door, deaden the door skins like crazy. A layer or 2 of mat on the inside of the outer skin, a layer or 2 of mat on the inside of the inner skin and 2-3 layers on the outside of the inner skin.
Use MDF to seal up any big holes and more mat for the little ones. Use a baffle around the cutout and seal it up as good as you can too. Put a piece deflex pad behind the speaker too.

If you do this...you'll be surprised at what a pair of ordinary mids will sound like.

Quick Reply: Two subs at different levels?