Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers

Hey,

Well I know I asked some sub questions in the past, but I need to know some more before I go out and by something.. Ok.. About the door speakers.. Are component speakers the same thing as like 6x9's?? idk.. JW.. I'm not familiar with sound systems.. So what would you guys recommend buying?? I was thinkin' about Alpine, but idk.. Do I need an amp for my subs and component speakers??
I know like everyone recommened the Elemental Designs subs, but my friend has 2 Kicker comp subs in his truck and they sound great! I can get them cheap too.. And I've found some that are 600w peak power each.. Now for the box, I've got a '95 F-150 and everyone I've seen only makes boxes for '97's and up.. So what would I do for that??
My dad has a Pioneer amp (760w or 250wx2) that he was gonna put in his truck, but I don't think he's doing that no.. Would that work?? And it's a 2 channel amp.. What exactly is that??
Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know a whole lot about systems and don't just don't wanna go out and get something and sound like crap... I want a desent sounding system..

I found a Kicker Comp CVR-10.. If I got 2 of them and used the Pioneer amp.. How would that sound??

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-06-KIC...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by atvccs450; 10-13-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:40 PM
A component setup means you have several different speakers each covering a different frequency range(the size of the speaker typically has little to do with anything other than fit). This setup is typically more expensive to do and requires a lot more know-how to DIY. Regular dual/triple cone speakers( the 6x9, 6.5" rounds, whatever) cover the entire range in one speaker, and then you just put the right size model in all the slots available in your car. They're cheaper and typically are just drop-in installation, and can provide very good quality sound. The downfall is that bass performance just can't match that of a good quality standalone sub, no matter how much you pay.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by atvccs450
Hey,

Well I know I asked some sub questions in the past, but I need to know some more before I go out and by something.. Ok.. About the door speakers.. Are component speakers the same thing as like 6x9's?? idk.. JW.. I'm not familiar with sound systems.. So what would you guys recommend buying?? I was thinkin' about Alpine, but idk.. Do I need an amp for my subs and component speakers??
I know like everyone recommened the Elemental Designs subs, but my friend has 2 Kicker comp subs in his truck and they sound great! I can get them cheap too.. And I've found some that are 600w peak power each.. Now for the box, I've got a '95 F-150 and everyone I've seen only makes boxes for '97's and up.. So what would I do for that??
My dad has a Pioneer amp (760w or 250wx2) that he was gonna put in his truck, but I don't think he's doing that no.. Would that work?? And it's a 2 channel amp.. What exactly is that??
Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know a whole lot about systems and don't just don't wanna go out and get something and sound like crap... I want a desent sounding system..

I found a Kicker Comp CVR-10.. If I got 2 of them and used the Pioneer amp.. How would that sound??

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-06-KIC...QQcmdZViewItem
Component speakers have separate tweeter and mids, so you need to find a spot for the mid, and then the tweeter too. Like RaWarrior said, the install usually a little more involved because of this. Components also have external crossovers (separate the frequencies, send high frequencies to the tweeter, and lower frequencies to the mid) so you have to find a place to put those also. With a simple Coaxial speaker, such as a 6x9 or 5x7, the mids and tweeters are mounted to each other, and there is no external crossover, usually just a crossover on the tweeter. With a nice set of components, you will usually have a higher quality, and better sounding speaker than a lot of coaxials. Components also require decent amounts of power, so your going to want to amp them for the best sound...
If you can get your buddies Kickers cheap, and you like them, you might as well buy them...that way you will know what you are getting; buying a sub just from word of mouth can be disapointing sometimes, because not everyone likes the same things. However, if you would like to try out the Eduh or something else, go for it.
When looking at power ratings, look at RMS (Continuous). Peak power is just a number thrown out there that pretty much means nothing. I know that the Pioneer you are talking about is only 380 watts RMS bridged. If your buddies subs are the Kicker COMPS (NOT the CompVR's) then that amp would work pretty nice on them, assuming they are wired for 4 Ohms. It could also be a decent amp for a set of components, as it puts out 125 watts per channel.
2 channel means it has 2 channels of output, a left and a right. You will also see 1 channels (mono sub amps) that just have one output for sub/s, and also 4 channels, which have a front left, front right, rear left, and rear right. There are also 3 and 5 and 6 channels and lots of others...

Old 10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Component speakers have separate tweeter and mids, so you need to find a spot for the mid, and then the tweeter too. Like RaWarrior said, the install usually a little more involved because of this. Components also have external crossovers (separate the frequencies, send high frequencies to the tweeter, and lower frequencies to the mid) so you have to find a place to put those also. With a simple Coaxial speaker, such as a 6x9 or 5x7, the mids and tweeters are mounted to each other, and there is no external crossover, usually just a crossover on the tweeter. With a nice set of components, you will usually have a higher quality, and better sounding speaker than a lot of coaxials. Components also require decent amounts of power, so your going to want to amp them for the best sound...
If you can get your buddies Kickers cheap, and you like them, you might as well buy them...that way you will know what you are getting; buying a sub just from word of mouth can be disapointing sometimes, because not everyone likes the same things. However, if you would like to try out the Eduh or something else, go for it.
When looking at power ratings, look at RMS (Continuous). Peak power is just a number thrown out there that pretty much means nothing. I know that the Pioneer you are talking about is only 380 watts RMS bridged. If your buddies subs are the Kicker COMPS (NOT the CompVR's) then that amp would work pretty nice on them, assuming they are wired for 4 Ohms. It could also be a decent amp for a set of components, as it puts out 125 watts per channel.
2 channel means it has 2 channels of output, a left and a right. You will also see 1 channels (mono sub amps) that just have one output for sub/s, and also 4 channels, which have a front left, front right, rear left, and rear right. There are also 3 and 5 and 6 channels and lots of others...

Thanks for the help guys, but this helped me out the most Thanks!
I found out my buddy has the Kicker CompVR's in his truck with a 600w amp.. And to me they sound real good..
I've been looking around on eBay and I've found some boxes... Here's a page to a guys eBay store and out of all these boxes, which one would you recommened to use with those subs??

http://stores.ebay.com/CousticWaves_...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Here's the link to the Kicker's I was thinking about getting..

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KICKER-COMP-VR...QQcmdZViewItem

So if I got those subs I posted and and used one of those boxes with that Pioneer amp, would that be a good setup?? 'cause I can prolly afford that kinda soon.. It does say on those subs that it rocommends the Q-Logic box type 2 or 3.. So would any of those boxes be ok?? Again, thanks for all the help!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
What about this box?? I like the looks of it and I can buy this box now 'cause I've got the money for it.. How would this box be??

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-SOLOBARIC-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
So your not really looking for a box to fit under your rear seat, just something to throw ontop of your rear seat?

That box you liked to from Ebay is a little small I believe....IIRC the CVR 10's like more in the area of 1.25 or so CU. FT, not a real big deal though. That box is made out of thinner 5/8ths inch wood, insead of the more common, and suggested, 3/4 inch MDF. ALSO, I dont know if that is just a stock photo, or for the older Solo Barics, but the newwer Solo B's are square, and well, a round sub doesnt fit in a square hole I would suppose what you see is exactley what you get though....

Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
So your not really looking for a box to fit under your rear seat, just something to throw ontop of your rear seat?

That box you liked to from Ebay is a little small I believe....IIRC the CVR 10's like more in the area of 1.25 or so CU. FT, not a real big deal though. That box is made out of thinner 5/8ths inch wood, insead of the more common, and suggested, 3/4 inch MDF. ALSO, I dont know if that is just a stock photo, or for the older Solo Barics, but the newwer Solo B's are square, and well, a round sub doesnt fit in a square hole I would suppose what you see is exactley what you get though....
I wouldn't mind getting one, but I can't find anyone that makes one for my year model truck ('95) and idk how much I'd be paying for one either.. But if I could find one, my dad said he can make me a seat lift.. So I would like to get one under the seat.. Know anyone who makes them for my year model?? Or can I get one that isn't for my year, but would fit??

And I didn't know that the CVR 10's need that space.. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about this so that was something I didn't know.. I knew it said "Solobarics" on the auction, but it was a cirlce cutout so I thought that woud work... lol.. Didn't know the old Solobarics were circle.. And thanks for the help! If you or anyone else knows where to get a box made for mine, lemme know! I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the CVR 10's though..

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Well I've searched and searched and I have found nothing to go under my seat.. So I just figured I'd put a box on top of my seat.. I know it probably wouldn't look to great, but oh well.. I've found this auction with 2 subs and a box, idk how good it would be, but look at it and tell what you think.. Would my Pioneer amp go good with this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-DCVR1...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
If you really want a box sitting on your seat, that would work. Your amp will work with that too-its a little small, but it will still work.

I would just try to make your own box. A buddy and I made a box for his 93 F150 for 3 10's. The seat was lifted 3 inches. We ended up with something like .5 cu ft. per sub. Cant remember mounting depth or anything though...

Old 11-07-2006, 08:44 PM
If you really want a box sitting on your seat, that would work. Your amp will work with that too-its a little small, but it will still work.

I would just try to make your own box. A buddy and I made a box for his 93 F150 for 3 10's. The seat was lifted 3 inches. We ended up with something like .5 cu ft. per sub. Cant remember mounting depth or anything though...
Alright thanks man! Like I said I know it may not look the best, but for now that's prolly my best bet.. So the amp will work, but are you saying I could use a bigger one?? 'cause I didn't buy the amp, my dad did and was gonna use it for his truck and never did, so that's one less thing I have to buy.. But I think that box would be good for now.. I've never built a box and neither has my dad, so it should be good..

Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Yes that amp is on the small side for those subs (that amp would actually be a good match for just one of those subs) however there is absolutley nothing wrong with using it-you just wont be driving the subs to thier fullest potential. That might be all the power you want though.

Building a box is really quite simple if its something you would like to try...

Quick Reply: Speakers