Help! Removing aftermarket comps , how to fill holes in doors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Removing aftermarket comps , how to fill holes in doors?

OK guys,

I'm looking to get rid of my 2001 F150 in the near future and I want to take out the Focal components mounted in the front doors. This includes the tweeters that are high up on the door near the window... forward of the armrest. Anyway, do any of you know if they make "plugs" or dummy tweeters or "blanks" or something else that can be used to CLEANLY fill the hole that will be left once I deinstall the tweeters? I don't really want to buy a cheap set of comps and replace them, but I might just have to do that and hope they fit the holes that are there already. Thoughts?

What did you guys do if you removed components from your truck... just leave the holes?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmmm, thats a toughy...Im not aware of any 'dummy' tweeters or anything like that to fill them. Have you ever seen those plug things that you stick in a counter where a faucet or the like used to come out? Im not sure what the technical name is, or how to really describe them any. But if you have an idea of what Im talking about maybe something like that would work??..?
Stick a sticker over the hole maybe

Heck, I dont know. You can get a cheap set of comps on ebay for under 20 bucks.

Maybe something like these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-6...34963466QQrdZ1

Pretty much dummy tweeters lol

Old 10-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks, Bartak. Yeah, I know what you are talking about. Maybe those things are the way to go. I'm keeping the Visteon head unit in the Ford. I want to convert the whole truck BACK to using the stock Visteon unit for power so I can grab my power amp and components and have them installed on the NEXT vehicle.

As for trying to explain what the device is that I need... yeah, it's a PIA. You should have seen the things I tried to "Google".

Maybe cheapie comps is the right thing to do after all.

Thanks,
Jeff

Originally Posted by Bartak1
Hmmmm, thats a toughy...Im not aware of any 'dummy' tweeters or anything like that to fill them. Have you ever seen those plug things that you stick in a counter where a faucet or the like used to come out? Im not sure what the technical name is, or how to really describe them any. But if you have an idea of what Im talking about maybe something like that would work??..?
Stick a sticker over the hole maybe

Heck, I dont know. You can get a cheap set of comps on ebay for under 20 bucks.

Maybe something like these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-6...34963466QQrdZ1

Pretty much dummy tweeters lol

Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 AM
Hey man ive done this on every vehicle I've sold. Take all your good stereo equipment out... Go to Wal mart and replace all the equipment. Cheap fix.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks, BestNTx. Guess a trip to Wal-Mart is in my near future.

I wish I had a better clue about what exactly went on during my install so I could just rip out the impedance changer and reconnect the new "cheapos" to the stock head unit. Maybe I'll just use my local shop to do the cheapo retrofit.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
go around to local audio shops and ask if anybody has any extra crappy tweeters lying around.

my buddy traded his truck in with 2 mismatching junk tweeters, 3 hyundai speakers, and one honda speaker. i dont think any of the speakers had any more than 1 or 2 screws holding them in lol

Old 10-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Good call, Socal. I'll see if I can do that as well. Hell, maybe the shop I use to do my install work will do it for a nominal fee and get it all working rather than me trying to figure out wtf the OTHER install goofball did. It works, and it looks nice in the cab, but according to the new shop, "wow... he did a really ****ty install. He's usually pretty good at this." Evidently, the guy that did my install buys his parts from the new shop.

Later,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Help! Removing aftermarket comps , how to fill holes in doors?